What would be the switch for me?

DyGr00339
Go to solution Solved by Veil,

Okay there seems to be multiple calls here, can anyone tell me just what each feels like?

Blues and greens have a prominent click when you press them. It's also a strong, crisp snap when you actuate the key.

Reds and blacks are a smooth, linear key press with no feedback on when it's actuated.

Browns and clears have a subdued "scrape and pop" when you press the keys to their actuation point.

Topre have a very slight "scrape and pop" feel as soon as you press it. Then is smooth and linear until you bottom out causing the capacitive membrane to "pop" like on a rubber dome. I have a tendency to bottom out on my Novatouch more than I did on my cherry red board.

Stronger springs require a little more force. But I don't notice much difference unless it's something like a superblack that requires 150g of pressure over say a 45g force red switch.

If your primary focus is typing, not gaming, check out Topre or Blues. They are very satisfying to type on. If you're more concerned with gaming, go for blacks and reds. If you want a good compromise, go for browns or clears.

Hey guys, sorry iv'e been afk lately but I'm diving into website design and am in school again.

But I currently use a membrane keyboard, and am looking to upgrade this fall, but what would be the closest to what I'm used to? I want to have a mechanical, but don't know what Cherry switch is for me. Any help?

Reds perhaps?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If you're like me, and find clicky switches annoying but still like a bit of feedback, browns

i second the vote for browns, I have a logitech g710+ and i LOVE it do death :)

Blues if you want to give your fingers orgams and nearby human beings rage fits. Reds if you want a quiter typing experience and linear "click". Browns is a compromise between Reds and Blues.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

i think reds are closest to membranes really but if you want tactile and you don't mind the noise i would recommend blues i use blues right now and i really like them but browns are kind of a middle ground because they are tactile but they have a light actuation point than blues so i would say for you browns or reds depending if you want tactile or not

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

Okay there seems to be multiple calls here, can anyone tell me just what each feels like?

Blues and greens have a prominent click when you press them. It's also a strong, crisp snap when you actuate the key.

Reds and blacks are a smooth, linear key press with no feedback on when it's actuated.

Browns and clears have a subdued "scrape and pop" when you press the keys to their actuation point.

Topre have a very slight "scrape and pop" feel as soon as you press it. Then is smooth and linear until you bottom out causing the capacitive membrane to "pop" like on a rubber dome. I have a tendency to bottom out on my Novatouch more than I did on my cherry red board.

Stronger springs require a little more force. But I don't notice much difference unless it's something like a superblack that requires 150g of pressure over say a 45g force red switch.

If your primary focus is typing, not gaming, check out Topre or Blues. They are very satisfying to type on. If you're more concerned with gaming, go for blacks and reds. If you want a good compromise, go for browns or clears.

Nailed it. I really like my blues. The way my buddy Andrew described them is crisp and authoritative. They feel great under your fingers, and they are loud. You get used to them, but everyone around you will know that you are typing. If you are going to be typing a lot, I recommend them highly.

Dude thank you, I think brown's are the ones I should get as I do a lot of gaming and typing, cheers!

Dude thank you, I think brown's are the ones I should get as I do a lot of gaming and typing, cheers!

Don't forget the lube. I couldn't stand the clears I had until I lubed them up. Just because it was so rough when it would drag almost like a gritty feeling, it just felt like broken key caps. As soon as I tried the lube, it made the gritty feeling completely dissolve and made for a much smoother "bump" as I typed.