X99 Watercooling planning in the Phanteks Enthoo Primo (help pls)

Hi guys,

I'm planning on building in the Phanteks Enthoo Primo with alphacool 480mm UT60 (push pull) in the top and a 480mm monsta (push pull) in the bottom and maybe a 240mm ut 40 (push pull) on the side with 2 120's for intake at the front and just a 120 as an exhaust. It's going to a 5960x and 3 gtx 980's. Will i need two d5 pumps or just one? What kind and brand of the d5 should i get. Also any ideas on how to mount the res? I was thinking of mounting it on top of the 4th fan on the bottom radiator. If i do need 2 pumps i was thinking of getting the ek dual d5 top with a res and (not really sure what res to use I like the photon series but i'm not sure how much clearance i'll have till i hit the 5.25 bays, would it matter if i have a small res?) 

Thanks for the help,

Ps. Hopefully i will be having a build log on this in the coming weeks if it all goes to plan :)

One D5 is enough if you setup the GPU's in parallel (I recommend this). Go with the Alphacool VPP655.

On the other hand with such an insane build, you could just as well go dual pump for high flow rates and redundancy in the least. EK has the necessary parts that allow you to convert the dual D5 pump top into a pump/res combo. You could also go with the Bitspower dual D5 mod top. 

ex-pmp-101_10.jpg

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

One D5 is enough if you setup the GPU's in parallel (I recommend this). Go with the Alphacool VPP655.

On the other hand with such an insane build, you could just as well go dual pump for high flow rates and redundancy in the least. EK has the necessary parts that allow you to convert the dual D5 pump top into a pump/res combo. You could also go with the Bitspower dual D5 mod top. 

ex-pmp-101_10.jpg

Hey thanks for the reply :) I heard that the bitspower top wasn't great and that the ek one was much better. Any ideas on how i should mount it? I was thinking of mounting it on top the bottom rad fans but i don't know if that's possible.

Hey thanks for the reply :) I heard that the bitspower top wasn't great and that the ek one was much better. Any ideas on how i should mount it? I was thinking of mounting it on top the bottom rad fans but i don't know if that's possible.

Up to you which one you use really, but the Bitspower pump tops are fine. It's their upgrade kits to make pump/res combo that can give problems (they're a bit flimsy). 

It's possible but not with push/pull as I don't recommend you mount a res on top of the fans. You could do UT60's with good static pressure fans in push on one side and mount a res on the other side. Only Monsta's really need push/pull.

Maybe somebody with more knowledge of the insides of the Primo can help you with other locations to mount it.

Up to you which one you use really, but the Bitspower pump tops are fine. It's their upgrade kits to make pump/res combo that can give problems (they're a bit flimsy). 

It's possible but not with push/pull as I don't recommend you mount a res on top of the fans. You could do UT60's with good static pressure fans in push on one side and mount a res on the other side. Only Monsta's really need push/pull.

Maybe somebody with more knowledge of the insides of the Primo can help you with other locations to mount it.

Okay thanks i'll probably do that, so will i need a bracket or something? How big is it, i'm guessing it would take up two 120mm mounts? 

Okay thanks i'll probably do that, so will i need a bracket or something? How big is it, i'm guessing it would take up two 120mm mounts? 

Depends on the size of the res really, if you're sticking with EK you have two pretty straight forward options.

Option 1: you get this --> http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/reservoirs/ek-multioption-res-x2-150-advanced.html

It comes with a multi-port res, EK-RES holders and everything else you need so that you can mount the res anywhere including on top of a rad.

Option 2: same idea but you buy the EK-RES holders and a X3 res separately. This options allows you to pick your own res size because they come in 110, 150, 250 and 400ml varieties.

Holders: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-res-x3-holder-60mm-2pcs.html

X3 Res: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/reservoirs/ek-res-x3-series/ek-res-x3-150.html

Depends on the size of the res really, if you're sticking with EK you have two pretty straight forward options.

Option 1: you get this --> http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/reservoirs/ek-multioption-res-x2-150-advanced.html

It comes with a multi-port res, EK-RES holders and everything else you need so that you can mount the res anywhere including on top of a rad.

Option 2: same idea but you buy the EK-RES holders and a X3 res separately. This options allows you to pick your own res size because they come in 110, 150, 250 and 400ml varieties.

Holders: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-res-x3-holder-60mm-2pcs.html

X3 Res: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/reservoirs/ek-res-x3-series/ek-res-x3-150.html

Thanks, probably going to go with a x3 250. BTW i was thinking of http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xtop-dual-d5-pwm-incl-2x-pump.html is that pump included bad? I saw you can mount it in the 5.25 inch bays so i'll do that :)

Thanks, probably going to go with a x3 250. BTW i was thinking of http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xtop-dual-d5-pwm-incl-2x-pump.html is that pump included bad? I saw you can mount it in the 5.25 inch bays so i'll do that :)

Awesome. EK D5 PWM pumps are fine. If you prefer controlling the pump rpm through a physical dial you'd be better off just getting to Alphacool VPP655 single edition or the Swiftech MCP655 single edition. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13147/ex-pmp-131/Alphacool_VPP655_Variable_Speed_Pump_w_RPM_Monitoring_-_Single_Edition_13122.html#blank

Awesome. EK D5 PWM pumps are fine. If you prefer controlling the pump rpm through a physical dial you'd be better off just getting to Alphacool VPP655 single edition or the Swiftech MCP655 single edition. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13147/ex-pmp-131/Alphacool_VPP655_Variable_Speed_Pump_w_RPM_Monitoring_-_Single_Edition_13122.html#blank

only thing is not sure if a 250 will fit in the 5 5.25 bays since the pump mount is probably quite tall already

Do you think the 250 and the pump will fit in the 5.25 bays?

Do you think the 250 and the pump will fit in the 5.25 bays?

I'm not really sure. The Primo has a bunch of 5.25" bays though. If you have the 250mm res and the dual D5's in there you'll probably render all those bays un-useable. 

The 250 res is 60mm thick and the pump config is maybe 45-50? Dunno how thick a standard 5.25" bays is but the Primo has 5. So if you do the math and have room for 110mm-120mm, it'll fit. 

Keep in mind that you still need tubing going to the in and outs of the dual pump config.

I'm not really sure. The Primo has a bunch of 5.25" bays though. If you have the 250mm res and the dual D5's in there you'll probably render all those bays un-useable. 

The 250 res is 60mm thick and the pump config is maybe 45-50? Dunno how thick a standard 5.25" bays is but the Primo has 5. So if you do the math and have room for 110mm-120mm, it'll fit. 

Keep in mind that you still need tubing going to the in and outs of the dual pump config.

Thanks man really appreciate your help. The tubing should be fine, just going to be a massive pain as i'm going to be doing acrylic bending :P Also just a random question is it possible to remove the rampage v heatsinks and plasti dip them white?

Why do you want to run push pull?

Pull is superior

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Why do you want to run push pull?

Pull is superior

I don't know, just thought of it for the looks since i'm going to paint so sp 120's might as well have loads of eye candy :P What's the difference? How would you suggest i set up my fans, was thinking one exhaust at the back would be enough.

I don't know, just thought of it for the looks since i'm going to paint so sp 120's might as well have loads of eye candy :P What's the difference? How would you suggest i set up my fans, was thinking one exhaust at the back would be enough.

Have your fans pulling through the rads so they are easier to clean. That's the long and the short of it. Push/pull has no impact on performance, it just doubles fan costs

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Have your fans pulling through the rads so they are easier to clean. That's the long and the short of it. Push/pull has no impact on performance, it just doubles fan costs

Surely that wont make a difference since everywhere is filtered?

Surely that wont make a difference since everywhere is filtered?

Filters don't catch nearly all of the dust.