Luke Burbank on Twitch and eSports... Really?

ZacDaMan72

So real sports are a productive use of your time, and how?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Sports shouldn't be in the name. It implies that it is a type of sport. 

yea because golf is a sport. haha.. seriously.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Goddamn whippersnappers with yer yoo tubs and yer video tape games and yer face books and yer hoop lous. Back in my day, we had to walk 20 miles a day to seem something interesting, and we damn well enjoyed it! EVERYONE BE LIKE ME

HIFIVE FOR WAROWL

Old man doesn't understand new thing

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

A sport is considered to be a competitive activity, ergo ESports are sports.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Journalism in the great US of A.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

But curling is sport right? Ice shuffleboard that's what it is. Please don't even start. I am a wrestler and I can even acknowledge the work that goes into esports, we can agree to disagree, but I guarantee I can make a stronger argument as to why you are wrong.

Edit: I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, I'm just naming a "Sport" that isn't even questioned by others.

You're very pretentious. Esports are not a sport because there is no physical exertion required to play it.

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

It almost fits it. Almost. But it involves no physical exertion. If you want to say that moving your thumbs on a controller or keyboard is physical exertion, then why don't you think violin is a sport?

It is not a sport because it doesn't fit the definition first of all and secondly, they play video games not video sports. It is right in the name that it is a game.

And to your wrestling point, I've been playing hockey for 11 years now. I know what it is like to be an athlete and sitting in front of a screen moving your fingers is not athlete material. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

chess is considered a sport by the olympics board

You're very pretentious. Esports are not a sport because there is no physical exertion required to play it.

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

It almost fits it. Almost. But it involves no physical exertion. If you want to say that moving your thumbs on a controller or keyboard is physical exertion, then why don't you think violin is a sport?

It is not a sport because it doesn't fit the definition first of all and secondly, they play video games not video sports. It is right in the name that it is a game.

And to your wrestling point, I've been playing hockey for 11 years now. I know what it is like to be an athlete and sitting in front of a screen moving your fingers is not athlete material. 

That doesn't matter. AT ALL. Are video games considered sports by them? NO,

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

That doesn't matter. AT ALL. Are video games considered sports by them? NO,

if chess is considered a sport then why not video games

if chess is considered a sport then why not video games

But why not violin? Why not piano? Why not any of these things? Chess is a rare exception. I don't think chess is a sport. I think it is a game. It's weird I agree but it is the only one that shouldn't be a sport in the Olympics IMHO.

But why not violin? Why not piano? Why not any of these things? Chess is a rare exception. I don't think chess is a sport. I think it is a game. It's weird I agree but it is the only one that shouldn't be a sport in the Olympics IMHO.

because violin and piano are not games and are not competitive and is football or soccer not games

because violin and piano are not games and are not competitive and is football or soccer not games

There are piano competitions. Who can play the best piece. Same with a poetry "slam". Football and soccer require physical exertion. Thats why they are sports.  

Intriguing. Allow me to retort with a quick googling and Wiki post;

"The precise definition of what separates a sport from other leisure activities varies between sources. The closest to an international agreement on a definition is provided by SportAccord, which is the association for all the largest international sports federations (including association football, athletics, cycling, tennis, equestrian sports and more), and is therefore the de facto representative of international sport.

SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should:[1]

• have an element of competition
  • be in no way harmful to any living creature
  • not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)
  • not rely on any "luck" element specifically designed into the sport"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport#Definition

By the definition of... well, the guys who administrate all things "sport" - you're wrong. Sure, if you disregard the evolution that definitions go through in their lifetimes, you'd be right. Not too long ago competitive video gaming wouldn't be considered a sport. By today's standards, however, they do.

Intriguing. Allow me to retort with a quick googling and Wiki post;

"The precise definition of what separates a sport from other leisure activities varies between sources. The closest to an international agreement on a definition is provided by SportAccord, which is the association for all the largest international sports federations (including association football, athletics, cycling, tennis, equestrian sports and more), and is therefore the de facto representative of international sport.

SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should:[1]

• have an element of competition
  • be in no way harmful to any living creature
  • not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)
  • not rely on any "luck" element specifically designed into the sport"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport#Definition

By the definition of... well, the guys who administrate all things "sport" - you're wrong. Sure, if you disregard the evolution that definitions go through in their lifetimes, you'd be right. Not too long ago competitive video gaming wouldn't be considered a sport. By today's standards, however, they do.

How about we agree to disagree because reading your overly wordy responses makes me cringe. 

How about we agree to disagree because reading your overly wordy responses makes me cringe. 

Overly wordy response? What kind of pathetic excuse is that? It's a simple quote proving that your previous statements were wrong. But I digress, if reading proves to be that much of a challenge for you let me simplify it for you:

There's nothing to disagree with - you're wrong, and maintaining your position because you want to be right doesn't make you right.

There, hope that helped.

Overly wordy response? What kind of pathetic excuse is that? It's a simple quote proving that your previous statements were wrong. But I digress, if reading proves to be that much of a challenge for you let me simplify it for you:

There's nothing to disagree with - you're wrong, and maintaining your position because you want to be right doesn't make you right.

There, hope that helped.

I'm just the one being calm over here while you scream at me over the internet. I still feel like video games should not be a sport. They don't fit my standards of a sport. You seem to be taking this a little more seriously than me. Bringing in the evolution of definitions and citing quotes like this is an essay. I'm not saying I don't understand. If you want me qualify myself I used to go to a rigorous college prep school in Princeton and now I go to another rigorous college prep school in Wyoming. I'm not taking this "debate" as seriously as you. You want to make yourself, a new member, look good. I'm just not in the mood to go and research this and bring quotes in and all that. This isn't that important to me. 

To make you feel better, I'll say you win. Are you happy now. You have not changed my opinion at all. You have just wasted your time. But you "won" so who cares right. 

There are piano competitions. Who can play the best piece. Same with a poetry "slam". Football and soccer require physical exertion. Thats why they are sports.  

but the piano competitions are not the point of piano and same with poetry. while the point of football and some video games is competition so piano and poetry do not count as competitive 

but the piano competitions are not the point of piano and same with poetry. while the point of football and some video games is competition so piano and poetry do not count as competitive 

But at the same time what are the point of video games? They were not made to play competitively unless you count online play as that. Anyway I feel like we should stop wasting our time and agree to disagree because we are never going to get anywhere. Neither of us are going to change their opinion.  

I'm just the one being calm over here while you scream at me over the internet. I still feel like video games should not be a sport. They don't fit my standards of a sport. You seem to be taking this a little more seriously than me. Bringing in the evolution of definitions and citing quotes like this is an essay. I'm not saying I don't understand. If you want me qualify myself I used to go to a rigorous college prep school in Princeton and now I go to another rigorous college prep school in Wyoming. I'm not taking this "debate" as seriously as you. You want to make yourself, a new member, look good. I'm just not in the mood to go and research this and bring quotes in and all that. This isn't that important to me. 

To make you feel better, I'll say you win. Are you happy now. You have not changed my opinion at all. You have just wasted your time. But you "won" so who cares right. 

That's quite the hypocrisy you've got going on there. What exactly is your purpose in this thread, or hell, this forum for that matter, if "pointless debates" are beneath you? Why did you bother to comment at all if everything you've said until now is meaningless banter(contrary to my "pointless try-harding")?

You waltz in here, you literally do what you just condemned me for, and I'll quote again just to prove my point;

Looking up and quoting definitions - check.

Apparent internet rage/feeling offended - check.

Demonstrating the desire to continue arguing - check.

So you clearly cared about the topic, you went to the trouble of looking up and citing a dictionary, and you even posed a follow-up question - then went on to respond to every single response you got, maintaining your previous point... And it wasn't until a 30-seconds-to-find Wikipedia quote showed up you suddenly decided to offer an olive branch and put all this meaningless debating to a rest, which you conveniently never cared for in the first place, obviously. Yeah, right.

No amount of ad-hominems will change the fact that you're;

A, wrong.

B, potentially delusional, assuming you actually think your opinion matters when discussing an objective topic

And C, a hypocrite.

I may be a newbie to this forum, but that doesn't mean I'm here to(or have to) prove myself to anyone. I don't need to. All I want from a forum is one of two things, either fuel for my interests or a good keyboard war. That said, eSports being a fascination of mine and someone spouting absolute nonsense gave me plenty opportunity to satisfy both my cravings.

And indeed, hearing you say that does make me feel better, but not as good as the tingling sensation I got from watching you tuck your tail between your legs and run off, shouting silly remarks of mockery back at me. That is the finest victory one can achieve.

That's quite the hypocrisy you've got going on there. What exactly is your purpose in this thread, or hell, this forum for that matter, if "pointless debates" are beneath you? Why did you bother to comment at all if everything you've said until now is meaningless banter(contrary to my "pointless try-harding")?

You waltz in here, you literally do what you just condemned me for, and I'll quote again just to prove my point;

Looking up and quoting definitions - check.

Apparent internet rage/feeling offended - check.

Demonstrating the desire to continue arguing - check.

So you clearly cared about the topic, you went to the trouble of looking up and citing a dictionary, and you even posed a follow-up question - then went on to respond to every single response you got, maintaining your previous point... And it wasn't until a 30-seconds-to-find Wikipedia quote showed up you suddenly decided to offer an olive branch and put all this meaningless debating to a rest, which you conveniently never cared for in the first place, obviously. Yeah, right.

No amount of ad-hominems will change the fact that you're;

A, wrong.

B, potentially delusional, assuming you actually think your opinion matters when discussing an objective topic

And C, a hypocrite.

I may be a newbie to this forum, but that doesn't mean I'm here to(or have to) prove myself to anyone. I don't need to. All I want from a forum is one of two things, either fuel for my interests or a good keyboard war. That said, eSports being a fascination of mine and someone spouting absolute nonsense gave me plenty opportunity to satisfy both my cravings.

And indeed, hearing you say that does make me feel better, but not as good as the tingling sensation I got from watching you tuck your tail between your legs and run off, shouting silly remarks of mockery back at me. That is the finest victory one can achieve.

You should be a lawyer. 

But at the same time what are the point of video games? They were not made to play competitively unless you count online play as that. Anyway I feel like we should stop wasting our time and agree to disagree because we are never going to get anywhere. Neither of us are going to change their opinion.  

Escapism?

Entertainment?

To a degree, competition?

Saying competitiveness has never played a part in game development is downright ludicrous. Pong was inherently a competitive game, allowing two players to be matched against one another. "Local LAN" gaming was extremely well received by gamers as well, Goldeneye made sure of that by allowing 4 people to shoot their friends faces off. Tekken 3 was a mile stone in competitive fighting games. Hell, the fighting game genre has done extremely well for itself, Street Fighter tournaments, Mortal Kombat tournaments, Marvel vs Capcom, Super Smash Brothers,... I mean, that one genre alone proves you wrong, as competitiveness has always been a key aspect of it, as far as I can tell at least.

Where video games made with international competitiveness in mind? No, probably not. Is that relevant, though?

Did the first guy to kick a round object through some arbitrary parameter think it'd one day turn out to become a key source of entertainment for half the globe? Probably not.

The purpose of video games may differ from one case to another; this is the same difference that we see between activities such as chess and playing the piano. Video games are not inherently (un)competitive but rather it depends on how the game is created that decides whether it is a sport(I said it, I didnt call it an esport but rather a sport, come at me bro) or an activity. In the end the developer is the decider of the point of that video game because video games, in their purist form, are nothing more than a medium for stuff.

Edit: You are disagreeing with the people who decide what a sport is; you lose.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

I'm sorry this is just an absolutely horrible argument.

"let's go play a game of soccer"

"i'm at the baseball game"

no one says "i'm at the baseball sport"

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights"