Next-Gen Arcade?

dudemanpeace

Okay so I had this idea of a modern/next-gen arcade shop concept:

You'd be able to come to the store and play virtually any game (console or otherwise) with "GameTime", monthly prepaid cards with time slots (more money = more play time) so for example a cost structure would be like

Bronze Time - 200 hours/month (8 days, 8 hours of total game play)

Silver Time  - 400 hours/month (16 days, 16 hours of total game play)

Gold Tme   - 800 hours/ month ( 33 days, 8 hours of total game play)

or something thereof. 

There would be two areas, one for general console gamers (a dozen or so consoles with a huge library of games/controllers/etc) and the PC area...and this is where it gets interesting...There would be custom gaming rigs all running SteamOS to access your personal games library, OR they would run a highly modified version of SteamOS that would have custom features (purchase gametime, register, etc) in way that TouchWiz is for stock Android.

EDIT - BONUS FEATURE

There would also be like a VGHS-styled Battle Room where teams could play competitively (5v5) with cool lights and people could spectate  

I dunno if it's worth investing more time into, so please share your thoughts/comments/concerns! 

you would lose a bunch of money from broken controllers, tvs, and anything else in the room from ragers 

also, arcades are dead, no one wants to go hang around a bunch of other people to game when its cheap enough to do it in there own home.

nice thoughts none the less, your going places :P

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Nvm...sorry

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

i updated OP with the total game time converted in days/hours, and a lot of my friends are upset of the decline in LAN/local access in games so this would bring that back potentially

OP if I could do what you want to do and break even I'd do it.  Can't we have nice things in this world?  I think this is a nice thing.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

i updated OP with the total game time converted in days/hours, and a lot of my friends are upset of the decline in LAN/local access in games so this would bring that back potentially

LOL, 33 days of play time per month?

There are not 33 days per month...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Arcades are only good for those games with an entire control chamber(such as Gundam simulator-type games)...etc.

It's not about the cost; it's about the lack of availability in anywhere outside Japan.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

LOL, 33 days of play time per month?

There are not 33 days per month...

Yes, I'm aware of that haha, the point is that most gamers (and the majority of people that would even buy that one) is that you can get lost in a game (Destiny/GTA V/etc) and easily spend 12 hours a day on one game. 

Yes, I'm aware of that haha, the point is that most gamers (and the majority of people that would even buy that one) is that you can get lost in a game (Destiny/GTA V/etc) and easily spend 12 hours a day on one game. 

You cant spend more time than there is in a month tho...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

You cant spend more time than there is in a month tho...

Alright, then they'll be a rollover plan where time carries over...Or just cut it off at one full month

I think that this is a wonderful Idea, BUT the thing that stuck out at me most was the 5v5 area. This is a genius idea and I wish there was still room in the market for arcade style places to innovate but there isn't. I think that if you changed the consent to a lan party place or something of that nature where people could rent the space out and use the computers that have been build and are garanteed to play at ultra 60fps then I think this is a better plan (at least in my head)

SONG- If you like pina-colatas ME- I like them SONG- And getting caught in the rain ME- I sorta like that SONG- If your not in to yoga ME- I hate yoga SONG- Then im the love that you look for ME-  :blink:  no...

I think that this is a wonderful Idea, BUT the thing that stuck out at me most was the 5v5 area. This is a genius idea and I wish there was still room in the market for arcade style places to innovate but there isn't. I think that if you changed the consent to a lan party place or something of that nature where people could rent the space out and use the computers that have been build and are garanteed to play at ultra 60fps then I think this is a better plan (at least in my head)

So would you and your friends pay to rent out the space? And i'm a firm believer in that you can always innovate in seemingly dead industries (looking at you Tesla)