NZXT H440 vs. Fractale Define R4: Air Flow Concern

Shadow9857

I have heard that the airflow in the H440 is below average compared to the Define R4.

I am having trouble deciding between these two since the R4 has a good reputation and I like the look of the H440 more as well as the foam used to dampen sound, but I will be overclocking and maxing out on fans no matter what case I use anyway (Silence is nice but heat is the enemy, not noise for me)

Does anyone have experience with using both of these cases and can speak on the airflow quality of either? That is all I am concerned about. I know these are both fantastic cases in their own ways so I don't need an opinion on that really. Just a simple air flow comparison, I have looked online for a few comparisons but would like some user input as well outside of the two comment forums I find.

Thanks in advance friends.

Both are relatively limited in terms of airflow - the H440 moreso. If you SLI/Xfire then you'll definitely want reference cards which defeats the purpose of a silent build, but that's the nature of it.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I have no issues with temps in spite of having zero intake fans in my Antec P180 mini so i'm sure the three 120MM intake fans on the H440 will suffice even if they are slightly restricted in air flow.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129041

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Like all cases with sound dampening material, they both sacrifice some airflow to achieve this.. I would say it's a bit worse in the H440. They H440 is indeed sexy AF but not sure it's ideal for SLI. Go with the R4.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Ive got an Fractale Define R4 white non-windowed version so all i know that the sounds are fine and the airflow is so f*cking good and the case itself is so big that half of mine is empty  :P

i hope it will help you  :lol:

I have the H440, and an H110 on the top set as an exhaust.  I have tried the stock fans as well as the new Corsair SP140s.  Airflow did suck pretty bad.  Now I have the Noctua Industrial 140mm fans on the rad...problem solved.  Still use the stock 120mm intake fans and stock 140 rear exhaust...which all work just fine for the job.  The main thing is just finding a way to get the roof mounted rad cool.  So my suggestion...go H440 + Noctua.  I'm going to be replacing the front intake with noctua fans soon for even more cooling performance.  The case is just freaking awesome once you get the airflow situated...building in it was fun, cable management was a dream...its super quiet...and it looks amazing.  

I also had trouble deciding between these 2, and the main reasons i went with the H440 was 1: it's looks, and 2: the roof mounting looked sturdier and than the R4's.   

The other option I was thinking about was the Corsair 450D...don't know if you have seen it yet, but its a slick little case as well.  The only reason I didn't go with it was because the NZXT case had the PSU shroud which I kind of fell in love with.

I purchased the H440 recently and it was definitely a big upgrade coming from the 200r. I wouldn't disregard the sound dampening because I noticed a pretty big difference in sound but moving from a 212 evo to a H220-x probably helped a lot. Removing all the hard drive sleds you are not using helps with the air flow a lot if you do go with the H440.