Selecting A CPU

aviv
Go to solution Solved by Rubenis,

i7 4790k + Z97 motherboard. FPS you want to achieve is quite high, so you need as much horsepower as CPU can offer. Without doubleing budget every next step would be much leed adding performance.

The CPU objectives are ;

1) Running Dota 2 in high settings , 1080P at stable 110-120 frames per second with acceptable drops to 90~ frames per second in heavy team fight moments.

(now read carefully) 

2) The CPU need to be able to do all that mentioned above while streaming with OBS (OBS include webcam software and some other extensions then just steaming that I will use so take that in count) and running some small programs at the background at the same time like music player internet browser and Skype/Team-speak.

small summary: OBS streaming+music+browser+Skype/team-speak+dota2 

That is all for the objectives.

The only condition I have for the CPU is to be able to achieve all of the objectives listed above with out overclocking.

I would like to buy the cheapest CPU that reach all my objectives and stand in my no overclocking condition. 

(Just so you know I don't over clock because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRiEStzOYeo

Now for the cooling.

The CPU need to be able to endure extremely long session of usage while doing all the things mentioned above , what cooling is needed in order to prevent the CPU from overheating ?

In gaming more of the performance is based on the GPU, though it is still important to have a decent CPU.

The i5 4690K should do fine, or the i7 4790K.

Unless overclocking, the stock cooler is usually fine, though if you are going to overclock I would suggest a hyper 212 evo or corsair h100i.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

--snip--

WHats your budget i would think mobo and cpu 150 6300 200-250 8320  300-350 i5 4690k 400-450 4790k 500-550 5820k 1,500 5960x cooler nh-d14 or 15

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Awesome. First person who seems to be on the same side as me :)

I suggest the xeon 1231 v3. Basically a 4790k which you can't overclock and it is 60-70 euros cheaper.

Great for streaming (8 threads) and gaming.

Along with a good H97 motherboard (msi gaming 3, gigabyte h6 gaming, asrock h97 killer or asus h97 pro gamer) you'll be set for years of Dota 2 gaming and streaming.

PS If you don't already have a gpu, i suggest you get the gtx 970.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I have no budget , I just want to reach the objectives in the lowest cost.

Budget = efficiency 

" I would like to buy the cheapest CPU that reach all my objectives and stand in my no overclocking condition. " 

We need to meet our goal with the smallest lost. I don't know what budget do I need to meet my goal , My goal is to meet my goal hence I have no budget number , and if I was the one to put a budget sticker on my goal I would know what to buy :)

okay here a h97 board and a xeon e3 1230 vs it sis an i7 4770k but not overclockable http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646e31230v3

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

with the multitasking your are doing I would suggest a FX-8350 or even a 8320 (which is super cheep right now).  Not to include a motherboard will be quite a bit cheaper.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

with the multitasking your are doing I would suggest a FX-8350 or even a 8320 (which is super cheep right now).  Not to include a motherboard will be quite a bit cheaper.

yea but for games they are slower but for streaming theya re better than any z97 haswell

The CPU need to be able to endure extremely long session of usage while doing all the things mentioned above , what cooling is needed in order to prevent the CPU from overheating ?

1) AMD FX-8350 is the cheapest option for what you want, although without overclocking the single core performance will leave something to be desired. DoTA 2 is not exactly the best optimized game in regards to CPU usage, if you could pony up a bit more money for the i5-4690 your game performance will be better, however with a lot of multitasking performance will suffer due to only having 4 cores.

2) The stock cooler. If you are not overclocking the stock cooler from any manufacturer will keep the chip below T-Max, if it can't the chip is defective and you can RMA it. This applies for any use at stock clocks, stock voltages, and for any amount of time.

*addendum- that is just about the worst justification for not overclocking that I think I have ever seen from someone calling themselves a "computer" guy.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

2) The stock cooler. If you are not overclocking the stock cooler from any manufacturer will keep the chip below T-Max, if it can't the chip is defective and you can RMA it. This applies for any use at stock clocks, stock voltages, and for any amount of time.

not intle stock coolers under full load they hit and surpass tj max

i7 4790k + Z97 motherboard. FPS you want to achieve is quite high, so you need as much horsepower as CPU can offer. Without doubleing budget every next step would be much leed adding performance.

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10

yea but for games they are slower but for streaming theya re better than any z97 haswell

1) AMD FX-8350 is the cheapest option for what you want, although without overclocking the single core performance will leave something to be desired. DoTA 2 is not exactly the best optimized game in regards to CPU usage, if you could pony up a bit more money for the i5-4690 your game performance will be better, however with a lot of multitasking performance will suffer due to only having 4 cores.

*addendum- that is just about the worst justification for not overclocking that I think I have ever seen from someone calling themselves a "computer" guy.

He said he has "No budget" so the cost shouldn't be an issue.

Intel i7 processors will do much better than amds top of the line processors can do, considering the fact he has "No budget" he might as well get a 6 core i7 or something similar.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Currently on my I5 4690K I use the stock cooler, through all the use I have put into it and the intel burn tests I have done, it has never gone above 75c or so, even  when overclocked to 4GHz.

He said he has "No budget" so the cost shouldn't be an issue.

Intel i7 processors will do much better than amds top of the line processors can do, considering the fact he has "No budget" he might as well get a 6 core i7 or something similar.

He does say that price is a issue.  "Cheapest CPU that can do the above things".  Of which is probably going to be the FX-8320. 

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Currently on my I5 4690K I use the stock cooler, through all the use I have put into it and the intel burn tests I have done, it has never gone above 75c or so, even  when overclocked to 4GHz.

have you tried prime 95 smal fft's after that unles syour cpu has mr freeze inside it it will hit 100c

He does say that price is a issue.  "Cheapest CPU that can do the above things".  Of which is probably going to be the FX-8320. 

I have no budget , I just want to reach the objectives in the lowest cost.

Budget = efficiency 

^

Tnx for the information guys I really appreciate it  ^_^  

I don't see why not.

He wants the most performance he can while it costing as little as possible, but price is not a major issue.

Any CPU cooler recommending ? 

Awesome. First person who seems to be on the same side as me :)

I suggest the xeon 1231 v3. Basically a 4790k which you can't overclock and it is 60-70 euros cheaper.

Great for streaming (8 threads) and gaming.

Along with a good H97 motherboard (msi gaming 3, gigabyte h6 gaming, asrock h97 killer or asus h97 pro gamer) you'll be set for years of Dota 2 gaming and streaming.

PS If you don't already have a gpu, i suggest you get the gtx 970.

The xeon versions are not available in my location..

You think a non K  4790  will do the trick for me or the 4790k is a necessity to reach my objectives ? 

If you bought an Intel box (including CPU and Fan) they honor the warranty with the fan, you have to send both back to them. If the CPU and cooler exceed Tmax at stock voltages, stock clocks, and normal use conditions it's considered faulty. If "full load" means using IBT or something equally insane for benching they may site it as outside the scope of the warranty due to it being a synthetic test and not something you could ever experience under normal use conditions. If "full load" is a normal use condition, and it's outside Tmax, they will RMA it.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

The xeon versions are not available in my location..

You think a non K  4790  will do the trick for me or the 4790k is a necessity to reach my objectives ? 

The 4790 is more than capable for what you want. The only other thing you'll have to consider is the GPU.

Tnx !  

What do you think about this mobo  Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5  ?