Switchable switches?

YOYOFREAK888

Hello, for some time now I've owned the "Zalman K-500" mechanical keyboard. It features red, kailh switches, set into a metal backplate. I was wondering if I could literally just, manually prize out some of the red switches and replace them with blue/brown etc or does this type of thing require soldering? I only ask because in Slicks latest video he mentioned that keyboards featuring backplanes are capable of this kind of modification.... Sorry if this is a very "newbie" error, I'm fairly new to the concept of modding.

Thx!

Hmmm... Seems promising but it looks like it requires taking the switches apart, rather than just interchanging them.

Soldering really is not particularly difficult, it is just time consuming. I would highly encourage you to solder the switches off and solder new ones on.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I'm not sure about that, I've never soldered in my life, i do not own the necessary equipment AND I would probably end up melting my keyboard...

You would need to soldier it. I haven't played around with Kahil switches, but the pins may also be in different spots, although I doubt it. The price of the switches may be the same as the price of a new board depending where you get them from.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GivKt63dLvA
That might work. So you open the switch and change internals, which give it the feel.

That is only for PCB mounted boards. Which is less than the minority of Mech Boards, the only other time this method is applicable is with a custom plate from a phantom or KMAC.

You would need to soldier it. I haven't played around with Kahil switches, but the pins may also be in different spots, although I doubt it. The price of the switches may be the same as the price of a new board depending where you get them from.

That is only for PCB mounted boards. Which is less than the minority of Mech Boards, the only other time this method is applicable is with a custom plate from a phantom or KMAC.

Hmm... I know it was dumb but I ended up removing my space bar switch and putting it back in, works perfectly.... does this shed any light on the matter?

Nope, depending on the board, the spacebar switch can sometimes be removed. There is NO WAY on a plate to remove them without snapping the case. Believe me, I have tried MANY times, as almost all my boards are modded.

Nope, depending on the board, the spacebar switch can sometimes be removed. There is NO WAY on a plate to remove them without snapping the case. Believe me, I have tried MANY times, as almost all my boards are modded.

Alright, like I say I'm pretty new to this but it honestly seems like the switches were MADE to be removed. Almost like Lego.

Alright, like I say I'm pretty new to this but it honestly seems like the switches were MADE to be removed. Almost like Lego.

The switches themselves are, but the plate usually restricts it.

The switches themselves are, but the plate usually restricts it.

Right, it didn't seem to when I tested it but I'll trust you, considering you have like.... 30,000 keyboards.