Water cooling kit future restrictions?

Hello guys, I have always wanted to get into watercooling but never had the budget. Things are great finally got my first salary and can finally afford to get into this, slowly but steady.

As I have never done this before, so I opted for a solution that some will frown upon but I have read about and this would probably make my life easier (with planing and not missing any fittings etc). I am considering purchasing this : http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/XSPC-RayStorm-750-EX280-V4-Pump-WaterCooling-Kit_39376.html

Now my concern primarily has nothing to do with installation but with future proofing in mind. Part of this upgrade is to keep my hardware cool as I live in a really hot country, with that said the kit only includes a CPU block, I intend on buying a GPU block as well to make my entire system watercooled (excluding ram as I have no issues with that atm). Will this res+pump combo be capable of keeping both my CPU and GPU cool? I am currently using an NZXT phantom 410 and I am kind of restricted on space, and also feel that this res/pump combo will keep my build clean (I am SUPER OCD with my system; only 24 pin, cpu and gpu cables are visible and braided).

So to make things simple will a res+pump combo be okay for cpu+ gpu loop? What do I need to be looking into with my demands, does res size and pump power matter (any simple explanation will do)

Thanks in advance

If you are doing this from a cooling perspective and not a OC/push it to the limits build then it will be OK but its very borderline and I'm not sure if it will be quiet. I'm going to assume the plan would be to have the radiator up top and that the front intake is covered by drive cages? I have no personal watercooling experience, all my knowledge is by preparing for my own loop soon, but I believe the rule is 120mm of surface cooling per item so its close. Maybe get a 5.25 adapter for an HDD if you only have 1 and that opens up the front intake for another radiator because the more the the better but you may want to wait on a more experienced opinion. 

I almost bought that exact same kit.  I did some more research and ended up going with this one instead.  

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Phobya-Pure-Performance-Watercooling-Kit-360LT_42356.html

It has a bit better bang for the buck in my opinion.  The pump and Res are separate and it comes with compression fittings instead of just barbs.  they also make the kit with various different Radiator options for the same or less cost.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

So to make things simple will a res+pump combo be okay for cpu+ gpu loop? What do I need to be looking into with my demands, does res size and pump power matter (any simple explanation will do)

Thanks in advance

No, a single 280 isn't really enough if you want some good temps. It would be fine for the CPU only and that's what the kit is designed for. 

Res size doesn't matter, you just need to have one for much easier filling and draining of your loop. Tube reservoirs are also much easier for bleeding.

Pump power does matter. You'll need one that can handle two water blocks and two rads. This would most commonly be a DDC pump or D5.

I'll check out the case and give you a better suggestion in a minute.  

Edit: according to the NZXT website, you can only have a thin 240 rad in the top. I've seen others remove the bottom HDD cages and at another 120 in the front. I recommend you go with a similar setup.

I found three kits that are better suited for your build IMO. Two of them still have a bay res though but in your case a bay res could look cleaner (to keep that OCD under control).

#1 http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/XSPC-RayStorm-750-EX240-V4-Pump-WaterCooling-Kit_39365.html

#2 http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/XSPC-RayStorm-D5-Photon-AX240-WaterCooling-Kit_43119.html

#3 http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Alphacool-Cool-Answer-NexXxoS-240-D5ST-Set_46486.html

2 and 3 has the best pump out there. 2 also has a tube res.

1 would be the cheapest and still a good way to go, however it comes with some cheap ass plastic clips. You could solve this easily buy getting tubing that's smaller than the barbs. In this case Primochill Advanced LRT 3/8 ID 1/2 OD would be good.

Quote me if I need to clarify anything.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Okay so things I didnt really understand. I was under the impression that you did not need more than 1 rad to keep a cpu and GPU cool(temperature wise), I assume this is not the case??

Pump power is relevant and  I should look out for "DDC pump or D5" (have no idea what this is btw). 

No, a single 280 isn't really enough if you want some good temps. It would be fine for the CPU only and that's what the kit is designed for. 

Edit: according to the NZXT website, you can only have a thin 240 rad in the top. I've seen others remove the bottom HDD cages and at another 120 in the front. I recommend you go with a similar setup.

I found three kits that are better suited for your build IMO. Two of them still have a bay res though but in your case a bay res could look cleaner (to keep that OCD under control).

#1 http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/XSPC-RayStorm-750-EX240-V4-Pump-WaterCooling-Kit_39365.html

#2 http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/XSPC-RayStorm-D5-Photon-AX240-WaterCooling-Kit_43119.html

#3 http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Alphacool-Cool-Answer-NexXxoS-240-D5ST-Set_46486.html

2 and 3 has the best pump out there. 2 also has a tube res.

1 would be the cheapest and still a good way to go, however it comes with some cheap ass plastic clips. You could solve this easily buy getting tubing that's smaller than the barbs. In this case Primochill Advanced LRT 3/8 ID 1/2 OD would be good.

Quote me if I need to clarify anything.

I cannot sacrifice the bottom hard drive bay got 3 HDDs hidden in there and theres no space to put them anywhere else. And You have managed to confuse me as you mention that you need more than 1 rad for gpu+cpu setup yet you show me 3 possible solutions that involve 1 rad:p So which of the two is it? 1 rad per component to be cooled or 1 rad is enough for 2 components:p 

Really thanks for your responses. If you could just clarify wtf that D5 pump stuff is and if a 280mm rad would be enough would appreciate it a lot.

I almost bought that exact same kit.  I did some more research and ended up going with this one instead.  

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Phobya-Pure-Performance-Watercooling-Kit-360LT_42356.html

It has a bit better bang for the buck in my opinion.  The pump and Res are separate and it comes with compression fittings instead of just barbs.  they also make the kit with various different Radiator options for the same or less cost.  

unfortunately I cannot go that root as I would not be able to mount the rad (even without fans:p)  but shit that is way cheaper than what I found:p Are you running cpu and gpu block with that kit?

unfortunately I cannot go that root as I would not be able to mount the rad (even without fans:p)  but shit that is way cheaper than what I found:p Are you running cpu and gpu block with that kit?

All of the Phantom cases (I think, but definitely the 820 and 410) have the hanging fan mount on the side of the drive cages. Depending on the length of your GPU you may be able to slot in a radiator hanging off that mount. Check my sig's build log for how I did it. It was the only way I could fit two radiators in my case. That mount is definitely strong enough to hang at least a 120mm off of. You mount the fan inside the bracket and sandwich the radiator to it on the outside. Takes some finangling but the result is excellent. 

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Okay so things I didnt really understand. I was under the impression that you did not need more than 1 rad to keep a cpu and GPU cool(temperature wise), I assume this is not the case??

Pump power is relevant and  I should look out for "DDC pump or D5" (have no idea what this is btw). 

I cannot sacrifice the bottom hard drive bay got 3 HDDs hidden in there and theres no space to put them anywhere else. And You have managed to confuse me as you mention that you need more than 1 rad for gpu+cpu setup yet you show me 3 possible solutions that involve 1 rad:p So which of the two is it? 1 rad per component to be cooled or 1 rad is enough for 2 components:p 

Really thanks for your responses. If you could just clarify wtf that D5 pump stuff is and if a 280mm rad would be enough would appreciate it a lot.

It depends on the rad size and fpi. A medium thick (45mm) to thick (60mm) 420 or 480 rad could handle a CPU + GPU no prob. However, with a 240 or 280 cooling a CPU + GPU (especially if you're overclocking both) you will in all likeliness be unhappy with your load temps.

DDC and D5 pump are the most commonly used pumps. The DDC is a powerful little pump, the D5 offers even more power while being quieter and it gets less hot.

DDC: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/22908/ex-pmp-289/Laing_DDC_325_18W_Pump_38_ID_Native_237_GPH.html#blank

D5: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13147/ex-pmp-131/Alphacool_VPP655_Variable_Speed_Pump_w_RPM_Monitoring_-_Single_Edition_13122.html

You initially asked about a good water cooling kit, so what I meant was that you could get one of those kits I linked and add another 120mm rad  to the loop for the GPU.

It looks like you can only have a 240 in top of the NZXT Phantom 410. So a 280 would not fit and a 240 isn't enough for a CPU + GPU. 

With Phantom 410 you're better off only cooling the CPU with one of the 240mm kits I linked. If you add a GPU you're going to have to find a way to add another 120mm or 240mm rad. 

It depends on the rad size and fpi. A medium think (45mm) to thick (60mm) 420 or 480 rad could handle a CPU + GPU no prob. However, with a 240 or 280 cooling a CPU + GPU (especially if you're overclocking both) you will in all likeliness be unhappy with your load temps.

DDC and D5 pump are the most commonly used pumps. The DDC is a powerful little pump, the D5 offers even more power while being quieter and it gets less hot.

DDC: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/22908/ex-pmp-289/Laing_DDC_325_18W_Pump_38_ID_Native_237_GPH.html#blank

D5: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13147/ex-pmp-131/Alphacool_VPP655_Variable_Speed_Pump_w_RPM_Monitoring_-_Single_Edition_13122.html

You initially asked about a good water cooling kit, so what I meant was that you could get one of those kits I linked and add another 120mm rad  to the loop for the GPU.

It looks like you can only have a 240 in top of the NZXT Phantom 410. So a 280 would not fit and a 240 isn't enough for a CPU + GPU. 

With Phantom 410 you're better off only cooling only the CPU with one of the 240mm kits I linked. If you add a GPU you're going to have to find a way to add another 120mm or 240mm rad. 

tbh, with your info I am better off buying a new case or creating my own to accommodate for the cooling. Shit thought 2 rads will cost more than I expected:/ anw might be an interesting path to play around in maya/cad n see:p

The Rad thickness actually ended up causing me some trouble as well even in my 750D.   My point really though was that there are better kit for the money out there.  Currently i am only cooling the CPU and VRM.   I have an additional Rad and GPU block on the way though.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

tbh, with your info I am better off buying a new case or creating my own to accommodate for the cooling. Shit thought 2 rads will cost more than I expected:/ anw might be an interesting path to play around in maya/cad n see:p

Yup, ideally if you want to do some good water cooling you'd need a better case that can take at least 2x 240mm rads. 

This doesn't have to be too expensive though, for $99 you can have the Enthoo Pro or Fractal Design Midi R2. The Midi R2 can fit 2 240mm rads. One in the top, one in the front.

The Entoo Pro can fit up to a 420mm rad in the top and a 280mm rad in the front. 

The 410 can fit two rads if you hang one on the HDD fan mounting bracket. The only restricition could be the length of the GPU's installed.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |