Upgrade to Haswell? VMWare involved.

Hi all,

i like linus tech tips so much, i always watch and like his video, and lately i miss the live show on twitch tv? anybody know what time they start now? don't want to miss another one this week. ( i know a little bit out of topic )

ok, the question i want to ask, and i know a lot of people already asking this but i haven't found any information regarding the performance increase while running VMs.

right now, my primary rig setup specs are

processor : core i7 930 @ 3.0 (don't want to push too much) --> to intel haswell core i7

motherboard : asus sabertooth x58 --> z87 motherboard

memory : gskill pc12800 12gb ( 6 x 2 GB) --> 16 gb or 32 gb

graphic : zotac gtx 460 1gb --> gtx 770 

boot drive : wd 500gb blue --> replace to 120 gb intel ssd (only few brand available in my country, either intel, corsair, kingstone, adata). the 500gb will be use as storage on my home server)

storage : wd 1tb green

psu : corsair hx750 gold

cooler : corsair h80i

case : bitfenix shinobi xl

with the new haswell coming out, i'm planning to upgrade my processor, motherboard, memory, and graphic(plan like above). also adding an ssd and 1 more monitor. is it worth to upgrade to haswell with my current setup now? basically i use this machine for gaming and while i'm working at home, my work require me to be able to run at least 2 vm(1 application server and 1 database server) or my last project require me to make 5 virtual enviroment(1 application server, 1 database server, 1 DR server for application, 1 DR server for db and 1 cron task machine) with each vm must met these requirement.

v-processor : 2 core

v-memory : 4gb (sometimes just 2, ,sometimes 8)

v-hdd : 40 - 80gb

v-lan : 2

thank before.

you should see a large improvement in performance

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/100?vs=836

though for multiple virtual machines you may want to consider something like an I7 3930K.

-6 cores and 12 threads

-quad channel memory

could be a good idea for you.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the reply guys, Puneetasouras and mvitkun.

but i might not need a i7-3930K after all. there's a new policy in the office regarding the client virtual environment.

starting last monday actually, the company will only allow 2 vms per project with maximum 4 vms if we need to emulate a recovery scenario only and backup procedure from primary servers to DR servers. even they already put the maximum specs for each vm. each of them will be quad processor maximum, 8 gb of memory maximum and 120 gb of hdd(the setup is up to us for hdd).

the new it guy say, that if the application need an access to AD even for test only, he will provide directly from our AD server. i'm still know nothing about AD. even we can't copy the vm files from the office server. i can only dump the database and take it with me. i don't get it why we can't copy the complete vm. 1001 reason he throw at me. which none of them are make sense for me. and he only point 1 important part, security breach. that's all... (a little bit out of topic here)

so, i guess my primary plan upgrade plan will work just fine, right? or is it overkill? i will still use vm but not as much for work, just for me studying the oracle db, oracle db on linux.