Hard Drive Failure Help

p58mustang
Go to solution Solved by Jetster,

Use Active Kill disk. If it doesn't see the drive its ether a bad cable or the drive is toast

Hi guys, I have a laptop hard drive that I tried to wipe today. While formatting, disk management froze up until I restarted. Now, disk management won't load at all, but instead is stuck while trying to load the available drives. I have tried to use TestDisk to analyze the drive but it gets stuck at 40%. I also get the following warnings from TestDisk while running.

"Incorrect number of heads/cylinder 16 (FAT) != 255 (HD)"

and

"Incorrect number of sectors per track 32 (FAT) != 63 (HD)"

I have heard that Ubuntu Rescue Remix is useful, but it seems that most of it's feature are about recovering data on the drive. I'm not interested in recovering any data from it, just getting the drive in a working condition again if possible. Any advice?

If the drive is corrupt you are going to be better off getting a new drive. Even if it can be repaired you will not be able to reply on it for storage.

try using the CMD to disk part the drive, that way it wont try and load it first.  but be careful you target the correct drive

Use Active Kill disk. If it doesn't see the drive its ether a bad cable or the drive is toast

If the drive isn't FUBAR then you are going to need to use Diskpart as well as running a low level format (complete rewrite all zeroes).

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Try connecting it to a different computer. If it doesn't work, than it's probably corrupt or physically damaged, so consider buying a new one if you need it.

Thank you, Active Kill disk was able to get the drive back up and running, of course I'm not sure how reliable it is going to be now. For some reason Diskpart wasn't able to load when I had the drive plugged into the computer.