WD Green 1TB (WD10EARS) Noise.

Hemanse

I have been trying to locate a really annoying noise from my pc, lets just say im pretty damn sensitive when it comes to some noises and this one kinda started driving me crazy, its kinda hard to explain the sound, i would call it a very low buzzing sound, kinda of a lower version my fridge makes (which might also sound crazy :) ). I dont think there is anything wrong with the drive, i have run a few diagnostic tools and im getting no errors, im guessing it might just be the way the drive sounds after being used for a while.

Drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136490

Trying to find a storage drive now that might work better and hopefully something that is less noisy, sadly ssd is still kinda out of the question with a price tag of like 650-700 dollars for a 1tb drive.

Anyone else got any experience with the drive maybe?

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

I have an 250gb ssd and a 1tb hdd ( seagate baracuda ) . The hdd is so damn loud i can't sleep with it on at night ( i'm quite sensitive ) . There's an option in windows power options where you can stop the hard drive when it's not in use. So when i'm not torrenting ( arr matey! ) or watching movies of of it it's silent .

The downside being it takes a second or two to start it , and programs installed on it that are running may take a second to become responsive ( altho most work very well )

I have been trying to locate a really annoying noise from my pc, lets just say im pretty damn sensitive when it comes to some noises and this one kinda started driving me crazy, its kinda hard to explain the sound, i would call it a very low buzzing sound, kinda of a lower version my fridge makes (which might also sound crazy :) ). I dont think there is anything wrong with the drive, i have run a few diagnostic tools and im getting no errors, im guessing it might just be the way the drive sounds after being used for a while.

Anyone else got any experience with the drive maybe?

The hum is because the drive spins, so if it's spinning then the noise will be present, especially if you don't have anti-vibration mounts on it

"Rawr XD"

The hum is because the drive spins, so if it's spinning then the noise will be present, especially if you don't have anti-vibration mounts on it

It is mounted with anti vibration and there is no real vibration to speak of, im pretty sure its just the noise the drive makes sadly

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

I have an 250gb ssd and a 1tb hdd ( seagate baracuda ) . The hdd is so damn loud i can't sleep with it on at night ( i'm quite sensitive ) . There's an option in windows power options where you can stop the hard drive when it's not in use. So when i'm not torrenting ( arr matey! ) or watching movies of of it it's silent .

The downside being it takes a second or two to start it , and programs installed on it that are running may take a second to become responsive ( altho most work very well )

Hm yeah that is true, should take a look at that, think when i first bought the drive a few years ago i might have disabled that option.

Kind of a first world problem, since im only running noctua now my case is so quite that i start noticing all the small annoying sounds. I set the drive to shut down after a few mins and its 100% whats causing the sound, the downside of "old" style drives, they make the most upnoxious sounds, ssd's cant fall in price fast enough.

Hi Hemanse,

The WD Green should be noticeably quieter than the other WD drives, because of its features. I guess that in general this is a matter of taste, but it is really important if the drive has been this noisy form the beginning or just started recently. If you suspect that the drive may be failing, you should check it with Data Lifeguard Diagnostics (if you haven't done it yet). It is important that your storage drive is monitored. Do you have any other HDDs in your case? Do you find the WD Green noisier than them?

If you can confirm that the drive is well fixed in the case, power management and turning off the drive could really be some solution, so a good advice from Si3Rra_7.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=810&sid=3〈=en – Data Lifeguard Diagnostics.

Hope this helps

WD Representative

www.wdc.com/en/

Hi Hemanse,

The WD Green should be noticeably quieter than the other WD drives, because of its features. I guess that in general this is a matter of taste, but it is really important if the drive has been this noisy form the beginning or just started recently. If you suspect that the drive may be failing, you should check it with Data Lifeguard Diagnostics (if you haven't done it yet). It is important that your storage drive is monitored. Do you have any other HDDs in your case? Do you find the WD Green noisier than them?

If you can confirm that the drive is well fixed in the case, power management and turning off the drive could really be some solution, so a good advice from Si3Rra_7.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=810&sid=3〈=en – Data Lifeguard Diagnostics.

Hope this helps

Helps to put an @ before the name so that @Hemanse gets notified of your response , since he didn't follow the thread

Hi Hemanse,

Hope this helps

I checked it with lifeguard yesterday and it showing up with 0 problems, i think its just the general "noise" a HDD make, im quite sensitive to some sounds and i think harddrive noises is just one of those that can drive me a bit mad, it is the only drive other than ssd's that i have in the case, so yeah the wd green is a bit noisier since ssd's make no sound :)

As Si3Rra_7 said yeah, tried to enable the power down feature and it worked out quite well, does power down affect the live span of a drive tho?

Helps to put an @ before the name so that @Hemanse gets notified of your response , since he didn't follow the thread

Yeah saw it now, thanks for the @ :)

does power down affect the live span of a drive tho?

I don't think so. Especially in long term storage drives like the green , where it would be offline for long times .

I don't think so. Especially in long term storage drives like the green , where it would be offline for long times .

Alright, guess i will have to live with it untill high capacity SSD's get cheaper, if it wasnt such a pain to install a NAS in another room i would 100% do that, but cabling is a bitch :(

Alright, guess i will have to live with it untill high capacity SSD's get cheaper, if it wasnt such a pain to install a NAS in another room i would 100% do that, but cabling is a bitch :(

and especially setting it up. If you get one that's simple to setup it doesn't have many features , and if you want more features you have to know how to fuck about with linux and wierd commands 

Well, the good part is that your drive is working fine. Unfortunately a SSD should always be quieter than a HDD. The WD Green's life really should not be affected by turning off when not in use.

About the NAS... If you need it just for storage, the only real setting up is connecting it to the network. I guess a lot depends on your router's position. All other features (if you need them) may be accessible from a dashboard. 

WD Representative

www.wdc.com/en/