Everyday Pc build- help needed

Hey, looking to build a new computer and get away from the standard off the shelf types at last. I would like to run three monitors, 60 Hz refresh rate at 1920 x 1080 and maybe a larger hd tv from it.  This won't really be a gaming build but more of an everyday web surfing, YouTube/Netflix type with some use in Photoshop and aftereffects. Would like to keep it air cooled for now... I7-4790k, Dual Gtx 980s, 16  or 32 on memory, smooth without stuttering as much as possible. 

What do you think? I'm sure it's likely overkill so let me know your thoughts and build guides.

(My next project after this will be a extreme water cooled  system, just have to gather fund's and information on it)

It's extremely overkill. If you only web surf/etc, you can get away with WAY worse of a GPU. Heck, most GPUs even in the bottom end of the segment these days can handle that resolution if they don't have to render a modern game on it. If you don't game, and you only photoshop/aftereffects usage is light, then you could easily get away with a $600 build here as opposed to that $2k+ monster you propose. However if you start doing serious rendering in aftereffects then you'll actually want to get into some serious hardware. But for Netflix and web surfing? You can get away with a Pentium G3258 and and something like a single r7 260x, probably even less. The 3 screens won't really tax it because you're only streaming video or on the desktop and not rendering a modern videogame.

You sure you don't do gaming? Well, do you have any plans to do video editing on that rig?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Hey, looking to build a new computer and get away from the standard off the shelf types at last. I would like to run three monitors, 60 Hz refresh rate at 1920 x 1080 and maybe a larger hd tv from it.  This won't really be a gaming build but more of an everyday web surfing, YouTube/Netflix type with some use in Photoshop and aftereffects. Would like to keep it air cooled for now... I7-4790k, Dual Gtx 980s, 16  or 32 on memory, smooth without stuttering as much as possible. 

What do you think? I'm sure it's likely overkill so let me know your thoughts and build guides.

(My next project after this will be a extreme water cooled  system, just have to gather fund's and information on it)

16GB RAM should be able to handle anything you throw at it, and given that you are doing photoshop stuff you will use IPS panel monitors right? If you dont game all that much on this rig you dont really need 2 GTX 980. 1 980 or even 1 970 can work just fine, and do well on 1 monitor gaming anyway (I dont like gaming on 3 monitors to begin with, but maybe it just my opinion. If you want to game on 3 monitors you will need 2 GTX 970 or 980 for sure. If it's air cooled, a 212 EVO or Dark Rock Pro 3 would do a bang up job as a CPU cooler.

Either way, if you want a detail build from me, give me a target budget :P

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

I have two of the three monitors now and both are Dell S2340M's which are IPS and no I don't really game much but it is something I would like to see about getting into casually but nothing extreme, maybe some simple less demanding things like the Diablo games. I would like to go with the i7 since the computer I have now is a i5 and I think 16 GB Ram would likely be enough, I have 8 now and don't often hit the high end usage on it but average at least half. With wanting to dabble with virtual machines on this new build I want to aim on the side of having a bit too much than too little though. 

I considered something like this, but as has been pointed out it seems overkill to begin with so why drop $2815 into it now if I can get similar performance at least for my use for far less. So let's say a reasonable build guide would be what 800 - 1500 dollars for this? not including the cost of the third monitor. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bknLbv

I have two of the three monitors now and both are Dell S2340M's which are IPS and no I don't really game much but it is something I would like to see about getting into casually but nothing extreme, maybe some simple less demanding things like the Diablo games. I would like to go with the i7 since the computer I have now is a i5 and I think 16 GB Ram would likely be enough, I have 8 now and don't often hit the high end usage on it but average at least half. With wanting to dabble with virtual machines on this new build I want to aim on the side of having a bit too much than too little though. 

I considered something like this, but as has been pointed out it seems overkill to begin with so why drop $2815 into it now if I can get similar performance at least for my use for far less. So let's say a reasonable build guide would be what 800 - 1500 dollars for this? not including the cost of the third monitor. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bknLbv

This is a 2800 USD link you gave me here...

About this I suppose?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($336.93 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Micro Center)

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($126.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($148.50 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($349.99 @ B&H)

Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $1409.35

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-08 12:58 EDT-0400

Since the games you play isnt demanding at all, a single 970 will do the job just fine. For monitor since you already have 2, why dont you just added the same one so they look similar and nice together?

Also a 750W is already more than enough for 2 ways SLI GTX 970 or 980, you dont need a 1000W PSU for a system like this.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

You currently have an i5? What model #? What is your current system failing to do that a new system will fix? It really sounds like you're just trying to throw money away at this point and are looking for an excuse to spend money. We can definitely help with that if you actually WANT complete ultra-overkill, however if the goal is to get something that actually matches your needs, then you're going about this the wrong way. Don't get caught in the PC part upgrade trap. It's just a huge money pit for no practical gain.

Right now I have an over the counter Dell Inspiron 660 running Windows 7 Ultimate instead of 8, i5-3330 (so quad core 3.00GHz), 8 GB ram (maxed). It's got a 300W factory PSU so very limiting but I was able to pull an old Nvidia Geforce 210 from a different system to use with the onboard. I am noticing that with just 2 monitors set at 1920 x 1080 and a few different windows open to webpages I will get visual stuttering at times with youtube/netflix or even dvd's (audio is often not a problem on any of them or I don't seem to notice).

The current computer does not allow any more upgrades when it comes to ram, Dell does not seem to support the ability to update to SSD with it either as tech support does not recommend it and the local computer repair shop said that he's run into a lot of issues with people buying them and trying to use them but ending up locking up their systems because they don't work well with the 660's for some reason. 

At first I considered seeing if I could swap out the PSU for a full mod version with higher power but ran into a dead end again with tech support, both with Dell and Corsair .. both telling me to call the other to check. Figured if I changed out the PSU I could ask around for a better graphics card that could smooth things out and support the monitors better. I think at the time I found mixed statements on if the GTX 660 would fit within the case without having to remove something or not and a lot of mixed statements about heat concerns. 

The cheapest way would likely be change out the PSU and graphics card in the system I already have, maybe even getting some new ram since I think this is some higher CAS hyundai brand type to be honest about it but I would still need to know what would be best to get and since these monitors only have DVI it likely means finding active dvi to displayport adapters to work with most of the cards.

Let me know your thoughts here also.  Suck it up and new build or hack it together? either way I guess I'm game if I can manage the price.

Here are some synthetic benchmarks regarding your current GPU that you are basing this decision on:

GeForce 210

R7 260x (budget of budget cards that go in super cheap builds)

GTX 980

The GeForce 210 is absolutely shitty. Even though these are synthetic benchmarks, this should give you an idea of what you've been dealing with.

AFAIK your dell mobo is either a MicoATX or ATX form factor, meaning you can just swap cases with a standard case. Double check to make sure though because you don't want to find out that your MoBo has unique mounting. What I would recommend you do is to buy a good ATX mid tower case that you would be getting for a new computer anyway, a good PSU, and a decent GPU. Your CPU, RAM, and Mobo are perfectly serviceable. You won't be able to overclock or run SLI or anything crazy like that, but you really don't need to. Heck, PCIE 2.0 x16 won't even bottleneck two GTX 980 in SLI. The memory is something you probably wont notice. Again, for everyday use it's not terribly important. It matters for things like rendering, physics simulation in games, etc, but for streaming netflix and browsing the web it doesn't matter. If you ever do start doing the more serious tasks, then yes you'll need better stuff. However if you buy the case, GPU, and PSU now, then you'll probably be fine, and if you did end up needing the other components then there's no wasted money because you'd have gotten them anyway.

The choices of components are up to you, but I would recommend going for a single value GPU ($150-$200 [get whichever has the best performance and is on sale]) and not a more expensive GPU like the GTX 970 because it doesn't look like you'd need it for anything you've described. For the PSU, just get a good quality reliable one that's about 550-700 watts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($336.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Z97M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($126.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($348.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer  ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1413.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-08 23:13 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.