HP Envy dv7

hugothedon

I'm not the most knowledgeable in the computer cypher so I may need thorough instruction and I'll keep this as detailed as possible.

So my computer went out at the beginning of the year. I would get a  screen w/ a message that said Boot Device not Found, please install an operating system on your hard disk.  I ended up getting a Macbook Pro at the advice of the Geek Squad tech to replace my computer because my screen would be faulty at times, (later i found searched that it may a lose cable) After a few months around mid March I pulled the HP out and randomly tried to power it on, it worked.  I didn't really have any use for it so I let my brothers use it until August, when it lost functionality again.  So I decided to pretend I speak computer and looked up windows 8 iso's and ended up creating a disk.

Here I will list a few problems and if you could label them as I do so I can keep everything organized and as seemless as possible:

[1] The initial message as I stated above was "Boot Device not found, Please install an operating system on your Hard Drive"(Jan-March then again in August). The laptop did work throughout the period between March and August and I had never done anything except let it collect dust

[2] The computer always freezes after exiting the BIOS and during diagnostic test(In line with item [1]

[3] Message at start up saying "media check" or "check media" resulting in 2 fail attempts followed by the computer letting my know it failed and to press enter to continue then freeze(Mid-September til now)

[4] Tonight as I'm writing this I turn the laptop on to get the exact message for write and for the first time since August I see the message from item [1]

Before listing the multiple obstacles I've run into I mentioned I created a windows 8 iso to the best of my ability using Youtube and tried to boot from the disk by switching the boot sequence.  The first few attempts didnt work, the screen would freeze before I made any progress or I'd see item [4]. So I went back to conducting research and set some setting to Legacy at the advice of a reply to another persons problem with the same media check diagnosis. This allowed me to get to a page where i got the message 'disk not bootable, load disk and press enter'. Obviously I did something wrong but I reset my setting and now Im here before I cause any more confusion.  

If you are going to reply please explain your instructions I'm really big on understanding how and why things work. And it would add to my limited knowledge so next time I may be the one assisting someone thank you. Lastly please be patient if you're a techy everybody doesn't have the same strengths.

Geek Squad told you to buy a new computer because there was a loose cable GG

I think your hard drive is either dying or the cable is loose. But the ISO should have worked in that case... weird. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

I think your hard drive is either dying or the cable is loose. But the ISO should have worked in that case... weird. 

The only thing Im guessing is that I installed it incorrectly and Im at work so I'll readjust when I make it home. So would you describe the freezing as a result of the hard drive failure?

I think your hard drive is either dying or the cable is loose. But the ISO should have worked in that case..

Easy money.

CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.4 ghz GPU: MSI 7950 Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme R2  RAM: Teamgroup Elite Black 8GB 1600mhz

Case: Corsair 300r Windowed Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD boot, 1TB WD Black storage PSU: Corsair GS600 Displays: AOC 22", Acer 24" both 1920x1080 60hz

Cooling: Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500s  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM400 Sound: Sennheiser G4ME ONE headset, Audio Technica ATH M50s

The only thing Im guessing is that I installed it incorrectly and Im at work so I'll readjust when I make it home. So would you describe the freezing as a result of the hard drive failure?

I think so. The hard drive needs to be able to communicate to the other hardware in the system. The hard drive suddenly being disconnected would certainly cause issues. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

If I where you I would just buy a new hard drive and do a fresh install of windows onto it, fuck all this trouble shooting shit.

CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.4 ghz GPU: MSI 7950 Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme R2  RAM: Teamgroup Elite Black 8GB 1600mhz

Case: Corsair 300r Windowed Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD boot, 1TB WD Black storage PSU: Corsair GS600 Displays: AOC 22", Acer 24" both 1920x1080 60hz

Cooling: Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500s  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM400 Sound: Sennheiser G4ME ONE headset, Audio Technica ATH M50s

If I where you I would just buy a new hard drive and do a fresh install of windows onto it, fuck all this trouble shooting shit.

I have absolutely no problem with that, but whats the likelihood that would resolve the problems? I really have no idea, like I said I don't know too much

I have absolutely no problem with that, but whats the likelihood that would resolve the problems? I really have no idea, like I said I don't know too much

It would 100% resolve the problems you listed, it sounds like your hard drive is failing, and since your PC was booting up for a while that shows there aren't any other issues yet.

Not all Geek Squads are bad!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

It would 100% resolve the problems you listed, it sounds like your hard drive is failing, and since your PC was booting up for a while that shows there aren't any other issues yet.

Okay cool, so I'll look into what HD I need to replace it with but will it be a plug and play type thing, obviously there will be no OS on it but is there anything I should know besides booting from the disk when I get that working?

Okay cool, so I'll look into what HD I need to replace it with but will it be a plug and play type thing, obviously there will be no OS on it but is there anything I should know besides booting from the disk when I get that working?

After you plug your hard drive in you will need to make it your boot device in your BIOS, after that just insert your disc, install windows and away you go.

Okay I got the CD to work and I feel like a genius for getting my computer started. However when I powered it on I saw the HP logo and it loaded then the screen went black.  The PC didn't power off because the black light was on but I couldn't see anything.  I heard the Windows chime but still only saw a black screen.  After about 5-10 minutes of no response I powered it off.  I am planning to retry but I wanted to reach out first to get any kind of info or tips for whats going on or what I should do.  

Also thank you to those persons that helped me initially Jodomcfrodo and Markyod especially!

I think u got ripped off on the Mac I mean I am fine with them but if u wanted u could have gotten a cheaper laptop

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Geeksquad charges you 500 dollars to replace a hard drive run away from them as fast as you can and dont come back why did you not just send the laptop back to HP in the first place.

Hey, how about we don't say things that aren't true...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

they are I saw a YouTube video where someone went o multiple geeksquads with an unplugged hard drive

I know what your talking about....i saw that video

BUMP

Okay I got the CD to work and I feel like a genius for getting my computer started. However when I powered it on I saw the HP logo and it loaded then the screen went black.  The PC didn't power off because the black light was on but I couldn't see anything.  I heard the Windows chime but still only saw a black screen.  After about 5-10 minutes of no response I powered it off.  I am planning to retry but I wanted to reach out first to get any kind of info or tips for whats going on or what I should do.  

Also thank you to those persons that helped me initially Jodomcfrodo and Markyod especially!