Graphics card help!

Coreymc03
While watching YouTube the other day my PC froze. I didn't think much of it until I restarted the computer and received a black screen. It would boot up until it gets to the part where I have to put my password in. At this point the screen stays black and nothing happens. There is still a signal coming through because the monitor doesn't go into stand-by mode like it does when it's unplugged or the computer is turned off, instead it has it's blue light suggesting it's on, but with a black screen. To check if it was the graphics card, I removed it and ran the computer from the CPU graphics, which worked fine. If I re-install the GPU and try again, the same black screen appears. When I pull it out again, it works fine once more. My question is, is it a software issue or hardware one and whether anyone knows how to fix it!

I have an ASUS GeForece GTX670 Top Edition GPU and an ASUS P8Z77-V PRO motherboard. If you need any other specs, just ask :)  Thanks!

Have you tried running chkdsk using the windows recovery environment? There might be some file that went bad...

Have you tried running chkdsk using the windows recovery environment? There might be some file that went bad...

Nope, how do you do that? And should I do it with the GPU installed?

Press F8 before the windows logo appears...

I suggest doing it with the onboard graphics first...

Then, completely uninstall, then reinstall the latest drivers for your GPU...

Your harddrive is not the issue if your screen keeps going black. chkdsk won't fix it. You said so yourself, it works fine with the onboard HD4000. I think your GPU is dying...

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

Your harddrive is not the issue if your screen keeps going black. chkdsk won't fix it. You said so yourself, it works fine with the onboard HD4000. I think your GPU is dying...

This is what I'm thinking but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before I forked out $400

This is what I'm thinking but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before I forked out $400

Most graphics cards have a 3 year warranty. You can check here.

http://www.service.asus.com/#!graphics-card-warranty/c26b

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

Haha yeah thats the problem with buying them online from another country... The warranty is voided... thanks anyway

that's one expensive paperweight you have... Lol

Press F8 before the windows logo appears...

I suggest doing it with the onboard graphics first...

Then, completely uninstall, then reinstall the latest drivers for your GPU...

I would do the same procedure. This happens to me when my Monitor overclock fails but my monitor says unsupported. Some monitors don't show error messages.

PC ENTHUSIAST, COMPETITIVE GAMER, GENERAL GAMER

Check for signs of overheating and if you are overclocking run stock speeds.

PC ENTHUSIAST, COMPETITIVE GAMER, GENERAL GAMER