Steam OS - Fail

MikeProg

So I had an old HDD lying around so I decided to try out steam OS installed alongside win7. Don't do it! lol I do not know what happened but I double checked everything as I was installing it to make sure I installed it correctly and when it was done and it rebooted to finish installation my PC went into a permanent bootloop. Could not even recover the HDD until I booted into my original win7 HDD and then docked it externally after pc booted up.

Welcome to the forum!

Well, steam os is in beta... and unless you are asking us for advice this should go in general discussion or even off-topic...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

i didnt have any issues installing it as a primary OS on my old laptop.聽 however it still lacked functionality and drivers at the time, so i put Kali on it..

honestly i think you must have done something wrong.

EDIT: @Sauron聽 i think this is the perfect place to talk about Steam OS, even if it is in beta. although it may not be the most function, it is still in fact an operating system. General should not simply be a dumping ground when there is a perfect place to put it.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Personally SteamOS is a waste of time for consumer products. Let Valve ship it with their own machines that they will optimize it for. I'd rather run Ubuntu 14.04.1 and just install Steam.

cd /tmpwget http://media.steampowered.com/client/installer/steam.debsudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install gdebi-coresudo gdebi steam.deb

EDIT: @Sauron聽 i think this is the perfect place to talk about Steam OS, even if it is in beta. although it may not be the most function, it is still in fact an operating system. General should not simply be a dumping ground when there is a perfect place to put it.

Well I was more referring to the fact that it's more like a standalone statement than a request for advice or anything else really... bugs are expected in a beta, there were no details in the op as to why this happens (the op probably doesn't know, I'm not bashing him for that) so by itself this post is not very helpful. Hence why I felt maybe this was the wrong place to put it. But I'm no mod and frankly this is nowhere near requiring a report, it's just that it seemed a little out of place to me.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Personally SteamOS is a waste of time for consumer products. Let Valve ship it with their own machines that they will optimize it for. I'd rather run Ubuntu 14.04.1 and just install Steam.

sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install steam

Especially since SteamOS won't have a decent desktop environment. It's very much an OEM OS with more inline with the Xbox and PS4, than Ubuntu or Windows.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Especially since SteamOS won't have a decent desktop environment. It's very much an OEM OS with more inline with the Xbox and PS4, than Ubuntu or Windows.

Yep, no point in turning a desktop computer into a console. Especially since Steam has its own full screen mode you can just use.

steamOS is not meant for us. Try one of the desktop Linux distros.