distortion for g430

xnoobftw

I experience some distortion while playing OSU! Is there any way to fix it? (i only experience it on osu and windows media player tho...)

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

I experience some distortion while playing OSU! Is there any way to fix it? (i only experience it on osu and windows media player tho...)

I've read an article somewhere that:

- Clipping happens if there are not enough voltage to properly drive the headphone

- Distortion happens if there are not enough current (ampere) to properly drive the headphone

If it's unbearably annoying, then you'd need a new source, a new soundcard or external dac/amp (preferable) 

- Clipping happens if there are not enough voltage to properly drive the headphone

- Distortion happens if there are not enough current (ampere) to properly drive the headphone

If it's unbearably annoying, then you'd need a new source, a new soundcard or external dac/amp (preferable) 

Hmmm so it's the usb dongle problem eh?....

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Hmmm so it's the usb dongle problem eh?....

Wait, are you saying you don't hear distortion in other places where you use your headphones?

CLIPPING: When the source doesn't have enough voltage and/or current to meet the peak demands of the music it clips off the peaks. Studies have shown it may go unnoticed if it’s infrequent and mild. But if it happens often, or a single event is severe, it tends to be plainly audible as a harsh “grunge”. It’s the number one cause of plainly audible distortion in everything from cell phones to car stereos.

P = V * I

Power = Voltage x Current

However, that equation can be turned into to P = (V^2)/R (R for impedance). Because of this, some people don't even call it "current". It's really just voltage and impedance.

Any change in a signal is "distortion". That includes distortion on purpose (EQ, tube amps, changing the volume). Clipping is a type of distortion.

Another quote, this one is a bit more worrying...

Lots of amps clip before they even get to half volume with a normal output source and properly recorded music. The entire upper half of the volume control in such cases is unusable with any headphones. People think that 50% volume equals 50% of the amp's maximum power, but that's rarely true. It's often closer to 100%. Turning the volume past 50% just results in massive clipping and, as you describe, is hard to listen to. It all depends on the gain, the source's output, and if they're playing properly ripped tracks that have a normal level.

It is possible that onboard is not "sufficient" for more headphones than I (or some other people) assume. It's not just about loudness, but also about op-amp voltage clipping. Of course... good lucking finding THAT spec from mobo manufactures.  :rolleyes:

Of course... having clipping doesn't mean a person will hear it. Many listeners will be fine... But I bet a very observant person in a controlled environment could hear most (if not all) clippings.

There's still more digging to do for my Amp Power thread. At this point my conclusion in that thread very likely won't change (about LCD2 vs O2), but more digging should help the thread out and possibly change some ideas I currently have about onboard amps powering some other headphones...

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Wait, are you saying you don't hear distortion in other places where you use your headphones?

P = V * I

Power = Voltage x Current

However, I = V/R  (R is impedance)

So the equation can be simplified to P = (V^2)/R. Because of this, some people don't even call it "current". It's really just voltage and impedance. It makes sense that clipping can be caused by too little current or voltage then.

Any change in a signal is "distortion". That includes distortion on purpose (EQ, tube amps, changing the volume). Clipping is a type of distortion.

Another quote, this one is a bit more worrying...

It is possible that onboard is not "sufficient" for more headphones than I (or some other people) assume. It's not just about loudness, but also about op-amp voltage clipping. Of course... good lucking finding THAT spec from mobo manufactures.  :rolleyes:

Of course... having clipping doesn't mean a person will hear it. But I bet a very observant person in a controlled environment could hear most clippings.

There's still more digging to do for my Amp Power thread. At this point my conclusion in that thread very likely won't change (about LCD2 vs O2), but more digging should help the thread out and possibly change some ideas I currently have about onboard amps powering some other headphones...

My headphone's distortion only occurs with certain apps (like windows media player and osu) and not others. Adjusting the volume doesnt affect the distortion 'rate'. halp D:

My headphone's distortion only occurs with certain apps (like windows media player and osu) and not others. Adjusting the volume doesnt affect the distortion 'rate'. halp D:

Hmmm... If you hear distortion in WMA with a song, but you don't hear it in another media player (Foobar or Winamp, for example), that would be interesting... 

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

snip

I got my reading from here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/607282/headphone-amp-impedance-questions-find-the-answers-here

To quote the relevant part:

Consider this as a rule of thumb, in order to achieve a certain power, for the headphone to be loud enough:

A very high impedance causes the amp to reach its voltage limit before enough power can be delivered. There'll be clipping. => not enough voltage 

A very low impedance causes the amp to reach its current limit before enough power can be delivered. There'll be distortion. => not enough currents

I can ask in that thread then, if the OP still checks the thread. But I know that distortion is just change in a signal - Which includes clipping. It's just kindda vague as a description without using any more adjectives. Seems like an interesting thread. You know where I got my info from.

I got my reading from here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/607282/headphone-amp-impedance-questions-find-the-answers-here

To quote the relevant part:

I'll start testing it out!

I can ask in that thread then, if the OP still checks the thread. But I know that distortion is just change in a signal - Which includes clipping. It's just kindda vague as a description without using any more adjectives. Seems like an interesting thread. You know where I got my info from.

Please do and tell me about your findings  :D 

It seems like there is only distortion when the singer is changing notes (like from high to low) etc....

Dark_wizzie

creatip123