Setting up RAID 0 with 2 120GB SSD's

Columbo

I am somewhat of an expert in RAID 0's but even it's always good to ask questions. My First RAID 0 was in the mid 2000's. I am setting up my existing 120GB Toshiba with another of the exact same make and model in a RAID 0 on the SATA 6.0gbps ports. My Samsung F3's will remain untouched with all my files already saved on them. My biggest concern has been my Steam account and my Origin Games. 

I will have my master disks in a 256GB array. This means I already made a backup floppy 3.5" disk. For all you noobs, I have a box full of old gear like a floppy USB drive as new motherboards lack a floppy drive or serial or parallel cable connection. I have my driver boot disk ready to go. The old F6 load with drivers boot disk. 

I plan to wipe my 120GB SSD on a separate computer. I am going to test out the new drive as an extra drive first to make certain it's in working order. I benchmarked my SSD (HD Tune) which is almost full with 11GB of free space on it.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. I think things will go smoothly. I have attached my single disk SSD performance. Tomorrow I will show what my RAID 0 looks like. 

post-142832-0-01230200-1412314913.png

I am somewhat of an expert in RAID 0's but even it's always good to ask questions.

And what exactly was your question?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Hey there, @Columbo

Quite an impressive experience you got there! 

You definitely thought of everything. However, the question is why would you want to set up a RAID configuration with 2 SSDs? This is only justified if you are using, for example, uncompressed video data that needs extremely high write speed. Otherwise, you won't even notice the difference if you use your SSDs separately or in a RAID configuration. 

The SSDs are fast enough on their own. I personally don't see the point. 

Hope I helped. :)

SuperSoph_WD 

I hope I can help with any storage issues that you may have!  ;) 

Can you post your specs on your RAID 0 so I know what your specs are on those drives. My apologies for the multi quote. The single quote wasn't working in my browser. 

Can you post your performance numbers on your RAID 0 with your Seagate drives? 

Hey there, @Columbo

Quite an impressive experience you got there! 
You definitely thought of everything. However, the question is why would you want to set up a RAID configuration with 2 SSDs? This is only justified if you are using, for example, uncompressed video data that needs extremely high write speed. Otherwise, you won't even notice the difference if you use your SSDs separately or in a RAID configuration. 
The SSDs are fast enough on their own. I personally don't see the point. 

Hope I helped. :)
SuperSoph_WD 

You could be right about that. Only time will tell and I will post my results in a few hours for you. 

Ok, finished reinstalling my OS and ran a benchmark on the RAID 0 of my 128GB Toshiba drives. Now I have two RAID 0 arrays on my computer. One of the techniques I developed is putting my 2TB RAID 0 to sleep while I do everything. When I give the power back to the two beast drives, they wake up like they were never asleep or gone. This time everything ran like clockwork. I am getting really good at this stuff. Everything is like cut and paste or reassigning drive letter and file associations between my C drive and my D drive. 

Just one more thing. What do you think about the results. I realize this is a new array. The above results are a single SSD drive and this one is two of the same drive in a RAID 0. I will not give an opinion because you people should draw your own conclusions about making a RAID 0 array with SSD drives. One footnote, in RAID 0 arrays, they scale between 90-100%. 

post-142832-0-96782100-1412344318.png

I did some further tweaking. I am a RAID 0 expert in both SSD drives and the magnetic drives. 

post-142832-0-69996100-1412407518.png