Somewhat newbie when it comes to sound.. have a few questions regarding headphone amps / speaker amps

cthomas1489

So I've always had my computer connected to my receiver using a fiber optical cable and the sound has been great. It's just a 2.1 setup with a pair of Polk Audio bookshelf speakers and a Polk Audio subwoofer. I had used my receiver to route game consoles / tv sound output as well but lately it's just connected to my computer for music playing and game sound. 

Well I want to make the move into using headphones while gaming and will pick up a nice pair of cans. However, I've seen plenty of people using things like Schiit's Modi/Magni combo to get good sound. My question is, would plugging the headphones into my receiver produce similar sound, or are those dedicated headphone amps needed?

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V465 and my motherboard is an Asus X99-Deluxe connected via the fiber optic output. Obviously I can only output from my computer to one or the other so that's why I was wondering if the receiver would work as a capable amp? 

I do like having the option of switching between headphones and nice sub/speakers so ideally I'd like to keep those options.

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K @ 4.5GHz  |  Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO  |  Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer

GPU: Asus R9 280X  |  PSU: Corsair HX850  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200rpm  |  CASE: Fractal Design R4 Blackout