Not good..

Hi guys, recently my CPU has started to idle at around 86 degrees. Im running a 4770k at stock speeds... Really not happy with whats going on here as i feel somethings going to go bust soon... Any ideas?

"Be excellent to one another" Bill and Ted

"How many people have died waiting for their Savour" Nick Arthur of Molotov Solution

Check your CPU cooler. Also, are you sure you're not looking at Fahrenheit readings? I know you're in the UK but.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

and if you take the cooler off the chip, make sure to thoroughly clean the mating surface of the cooler w rubbing alcohol to get all the old TIM off, same with the top of the chip, then re apply with QUALITY thermal paste - prospor

Spoiler

Check your CPU cooler. Also, are you sure you're not looking at Fahrenheit readings? I know you're in the UK but.

Yes, it happened to me once and i was freaking out, but then i realized it was fahrenheit. It's not very likely that this happens but maybe it moved so try removing it and placing it again

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

check to see if its Fahrenheit then if thats not it check for dust

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Check to see if it's in Fareheight (I'm in the US so degrees F is normal, I'm getting 126 degrees on my CPU ATM), then try different software, and if that doesn't work remount the cooler.

OP, are you confusing Celcius with Farenheit?

Also, try another program.

RealTemp

Open Hardware Monitor

And on a final note, is your the fan on your cooler still spinning?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Check what BIOS says too. And if you want to take the real world test, run some semi-heavy software like some game and see how that temps goes. If you see over 110 temp reading, its gotta be Fahrenheit.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If it's not farenheit then the heatsink probably isn't making proper contact with the cpu.  Did you remove it recently?  If so when you reinstalled did you put new thermal paste on?