r9 290 or gtx 970

Olias

Of all 4 cards listed, the EVGA had a much lower idle temp and 2nd lowest load temp by 3 degrees over the Strix. 3 degrees. You're going to give it grief about 3 degrees? Talk about nit-picking.

The STRIX is complete passive at idle so that's why it a higher temp at idle. You are not concidering the data presented as the EVGA card is 10dbA louder than the STRIX under load and at the same time the EVGA card still runs hotter. This is indicative of an ineffective or flawed cooling unit.

The STRIX is complete passive at idle so that's why it a higher temp at idle. You are not concidering the data presented as the EVGA card is 10dbA louder than the STRIX under load and at the same time the EVGA card still runs hotter. This is indicative of an ineffective or flawed cooling unit.

Wow. You won't let this go, will you? 

Yes, I know the Strix is passive at idle. The ACX 2.0 fans will also be passive at idle, so let's throw that away, shall we? Fair enough. 

Let's look at just load temps, 3 degrees difference and 10db louder (39db is really not that loud, but that's subjective) with the older ACX fans. This doesn't mean the cooler is "ineffective" or "flawed". It simply means it's less effective and less efficient with the current/older fans compared to the Strix cooler/fans. I have no problem with that. It is what it is, but it's not "flawed". By your logic, any thing with an older, less efficient design is "flawed". Ineffective means, it doesn't work. the fact that it does work and is competitive proves you wrong right there. 

Let's also consider the ACX 2.0 which has the upgraded fan and motor design. It will be quieter and more efficient (than the old ACX fans) and thus will cool nearly as well as the Strix and be nearly as quiet under load. 

Your arguments just don't stand up. I don't understand why you are so hell-bent on bashing this one specific cooler design. It cools better and runs quieter than the reference/blower coolers, why not go off telling everyone that blower coolers are all "ineffective and flawed"? This is why I'm saying you must be trolling to spend so much time and effort arguing about something that is really not an issue at all. 

I'm not wasting another minute on this, it's not worth my time. Feel free to have the last word, I really don't care. You don't listen anyways.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Wow. You won't let this go, will you? 

Yes, I know the Strix is passive at idle. The ACX 2.0 fans will also be passive at idle, so let's throw that away, shall we? Fair enough. 

Let's look at just load temps, 3 degrees difference and 10db louder (39db is really not that loud, but that's subjective) with the older ACX fans. This doesn't mean the cooler is "ineffective" or "flawed". It simply means it's less effective and less efficient with the current/older fans compared to the Strix cooler/fans. I have no problem with that. It is what it is, but it's not "flawed". By your logic, any thing with an older, less efficient design is "flawed". Ineffective means, it doesn't work. the fact that it does work and is competitive proves you wrong right there. 

Let's also consider the ACX 2.0 which has the upgraded fan and motor design. It will be quieter and more efficient (than the old ACX fans) and thus will cool nearly as well as the Strix and be nearly as quiet under load. 

Your arguments just don't stand up. I don't understand why you are so hell-bent on bashing this one specific cooler design. It cools better and runs quieter than the reference/blower coolers, why not go off telling everyone that blower coolers are all "ineffective and flawed"? This is why I'm saying you must be trolling to spend so much time and effort arguing about something that is really not an issue at all. 

I'm not wasting another minute on this, it's not worth my time. Feel free to have the last word, I really don't care. You don't listen anyways.

Well first off I must correct you when you stated that the EVGA cooler is passive at idle which is is absolutely not. The EVGA cooler is nosier at IDLE than that the Asus STRIX is under max load LOL. Add to the fact that the EVGA still run hotter and is WAY nosier under load than the STRIX would indicate that the claims of a defective cooling unit on the EVGA ACX 970 are true. Heck if you don't like the word defective than we will just say flawed.

Great video! :)

Like i said the Powercolor 290 PCS+ for only €269,- + free games, is realy a steal.

The man himself has arrived, thanks for holding down the fort.

You guys are in luck, im just about to film my MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 vs Powercolor PCS+ R9 290 video, so tune into my channel in about 5 hours and you'll see which one is better and that should be case closed on this thread.

The man himself has arrived, thanks for holding down the fort.

You guys are in luck, im just about to film my MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 vs Powercolor PCS+ R9 290 video, so tune into my channel in about 5 hours and you'll see which one is better and that should be case closed on this thread.

im realy looking forward to this offcourse. :)

Well first off I must correct you when you stated that the EVGA cooler is passive at idle which is is absolutely not. The EVGA cooler is nosier at IDLE than that the Asus STRIX is under max load LOL. Add to the fact that the EVGA still run hotter and is WAY nosier under load than the STRIX would indicate that the claims of a defective cooling unit on the EVGA ACX 970 are true. Heck if you don't like the word defective than we will just say flawed.

No. Go back and read what I wrote. I said EVGA's ACX 2.0 cooler (with the new fans/motors) will be passive at idle. Not the regular ACX cooler that was in that comparison you posted. 

It's not flawed or defective, but call it what ever you want. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Get the 970 definitely. Any of the cards are good, MSI, ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, those are all good cards.

No. Go back and read what I wrote. I said EVGA's ACX 2.0 cooler (with the new fans/motors) will be passive at idle. Not the regular ACX cooler that was in that comparison you posted. 

It's not flawed or defective, but call it what ever you want. 

I would like to think you be trollin !

did anybody even watched the links that op has posted?

Powercolor 290 pcs+ for €269,- + free games.

The cheapest 970 is arround €50,- more.

So its kinda a hard choice, if both cards are on the same price.

Then dont hassitate but grab a GTX970.