Tips For New IT Worker

My college program is co-op endorsed, and I have my first co-op term coming up in the winter. Today, our first round of job postings went live, so I began the process of applying.I've never technically had a paid job before, like, one where I'm earning either student, or minimum wage AND can be fired. That being said, a few years back, my mother's boyfriend ran a lawn and garden shop and I helped out as a shop assistant and got paid $5/hr (technically not legal if I were listed as an employee, but closest I've had to a legit job). That being said, I've done paid computer repairs, upgrades, servicing, and builds over the past 6 years, however, I wouldn't consider it a job as ut was never consistent, and I'd go weeks without anything popping up for me to do.

So, on to my question, do any of y'all have any tips for new employee's/co-op students and going through the interview process?

After applying to 3 positions today, I'm incredibly nervous. Like I said, I've never had a legit job, so I've never had an interview before, nor the stress of working somewhere where I could get fired. Normally getting fired is bad enough, but since this is a co-op program, it's even worse since getting fired would mean we lose our co-op endorsement as well...

Just a little extra info:

• Applied positions are all service desk with one at a Ellis Don (a construction firm), one at Digital Extremes (a video game company in London responsible in part for Bioshock, Homefront, Darkness 2 and Warframe), and the last one being at my college.
  • Program is Computer Systems Technology which teaches us how to design, install, configure, and maintain computer systems (both PC, and server), as well as design, implement, and maintain basic networks at the CCNA level, and install, configure, maintain and administrate Windows, and UNIX OS
  • I've completed training for all of CCNA Route and Switch, and CompTIA A+, but do not hold the certifications at the moment

Any help you guys could swing my way would be greatly appreciated!

*NOTE* please list your credentials, aka, where you have worked, or currently work, so I know you aren't talking out of your ass as someone who has never had a job. I don't want bad advice that screws me out of a co-op work term, and thus my co-op endorsement.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Most important thing is to do what your told no matter how ridiculous. Follow the employee rules and work diligently. You will do fine if you do that, don't waste their time and always find something to do to earn your paycheck nothing bothers me more than people who laze around when they are on the clock.

Most service desk jobs will provide you with a guide to follow, and you'll be trained by doing shadow calls. Meaning that you'll listen to how a trained person executes the task and do it with them untill you're ready to do it on your own.. Atleast the two first jobs sound like that could be the case. (I don't know about the one on your college, not much description :P) But either way it sounds pretty basic. They're obviously not going to force you into doing something you can't. So don't be worried about that, and ask questions if you're in doubt.

Most service desk jobs will provide you with a guide to follow, and you'll be trained by doing shadow calls. Meaning that you'll listen to how a trained person executes the task and do it with them untill you're ready to do it on your own.. Atleast the two first jobs sound like that could be the case. (I don't know about the one on your college, not much description :P) But either way it sounds pretty basic. They're obviously not going to force you into doing something you can't. So don't be worried about that, and ask questions if you're in doubt.

Here you go @Denned:

Under the general supervision of the Chair for the School of Information Technology, and working closely with the Lab Technologist and Professors,

the incumbent will work as a LAB TECHNICAL ASSISTANT and provide support for the School of Information Technology laptop students and specialized labs.

Duties will include:

* Assisting with in-class installs (downloads), upgrades and configuration of computer software on student laptops

* Assisting lab clients to resolve problems they encounter in their use of lab hardware, software, Network and procedures. Either corrects the problem or initiates appropriate corrective action

* Troubleshooting software, laptop, and peripheral problems

* Assisting professors with in-class interactive assignments and group projects

* Assisting professors with the administration of large tests and exams

* Setting up and maintaining OS and troubleshooting in specialized IT networking, hardware and shared academic labs

* Implementation and maintenance of databases for research purposes using Microsoft Access and MySQL

* Performance of other technology-related duties as assigned

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Also for those interested, I can post the job descriptions for the other positions, especially if you want to tailor your answer to what the job description is.

Avoid kindness to users, if you're there to do something do nothing but that, and suggest if they've got any other problem that they must report it.

It got me in more than one problem, being kind is bad in IT world ;c