Pump reccomendations

Pelikan

Hey everyone,

I'm currently building a system and its in the build logs section of the forum names Project working game station. I plan on running a 5930k and a Evga hydrocopper 980 in a single loop with the option of expandability to a second GPU in the future. I will be overclocking both the GPU and CPU to their highest stable clocks. I plan on using an alphacool UT60 280mm rad top mounted and a alphacool Monsta 240mm upfront. Will a dual 5.25' bay reservoir hold enough fluid for the loop and will 2 D5 pumps be strong enough to pump through all those thick rads. The top mount is 60mm thick and the Monsta is 80mm thick

Suggestions would be appreciated

Fantastic! Thanks for your reply. Alohacool makes the dual 5.25' bay res with 2 built in D5's. From a reliability standpoint would it be worth the extra 35 bucks over the single pump res?

you could easily get away with a single D5 and a 100ml res.

From a reliability standpoint would it be worth the extra 35 bucks over the single pump res?

You rarely ever hear of D5s failing, plus a second pump always means more vibration = more noise. I personally wouldn't do it, but the choice is up to you. Oh btw, a bay res is VERY hard to keep quiet, since it attachses directly to the metal frame of the case. I wouldn't recommend it.

you could easily get away with a single D5 and a 100ml res.

You rarely ever hear of D5s failing, plus a second pump always means more vibration = more noise. I personally wouldn't do it, but the choice is up to you. Oh btw, a bay res is VERY hard to keep quiet, since it attachses directly to the metal frame of the case. I wouldn't recommend it.

Not sure on the noise of EK's res/pump combo but my FrozenQ and mcp355 are pretty quiet, I put 4 foam/rubberized grip feet on the bottom of my res to keep the noise down from being in contact with the PSU.

I would also add that res/pump combos are a huge pain to fill, constant power flipping and filling. Draining them isn't much better without a designated drain port.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Not sure on the noise of EK's res/pump combo but my FrozenQ and mcp355 are pretty quiet, I put 4 foam/rubberized grip feet on the bottom of my res to keep the noise down from being in contact with the PSU.

Yeah but the frozenQ isn't a bayres/pump combo, is it? The problem with them is that they are screwed directly into the metal drive bays where it is hard to insert any foam/rubber for dampening. They just transfer the vibrations directly to the case..

Yeah but the frozenQ isn't a bayres/pump combo, is it? The problem with them is that they are screwed directly into the metal drive bays where it is hard to insert any foam/rubber for dampening. They just transfer the vibrations directly to the case..

You can get them configured with that setup (check my build log in sig). This is with the FrozenQ acetal bay res, not the tall clear acrylic "t-virus" res, although I do think they may have a bottom pump mount system for those too. There is another acetal adapter compression block that mounts in front of/behind the pump to compress it onto the back of the res and seals with 2 O-rings and a hell of a lot of pressure :)

Not sure where exactly you're talking about mounting it where it would contact with metal but some 1-3mm neoprene sheets or rubberized material could be cut to size and mounted between the two contact surfaces fairly easily, unless you're talking about the pump attaching to the res itself (?)

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

You can get them configured with that setup (check my build log in sig). This is with the FrozenQ acetal bay res, not the tall clear acrylic "t-virus" res, although I do think they may have a bottom pump mount system for those too. There is another acetal adapter compression block that mounts in front of/behind the pump to compress it onto the back of the res and seals with 2 O-rings and a hell of a lot of pressure :)

Not sure where exactly you're talking about mounting it where it would contact with metal but some 1-3mm neoprene sheets or rubberized material could be cut to size and mounted between the two contact surfaces fairly easily, unless you're talking about the pump attaching to the res itself (?)

Oh, I thought you meant the tube res, my bad. Well bayres/pump combos usually come with the pumps installed directly into the bayres, which means the res is vibrating with the pump. Now if you mount the res in the drive bays, you only have very little room for dampening, maybe you could squeeze a one or two millimeters of foam between the res and the 5.25" bays, but its nothing like a foam sandwich or anything... that's what I meant. 

Oh, I thought you meant the tube res, my bad. Well bayres/pump combos usually come with the pumps installed directly into the bayres, which means the res is vibrating with the pump. Now if you mount the res in the drive bays, you only have very little room for dampening, maybe you could squeeze a one or two millimeters of foam between the res and the 5.25" bays, but its nothing like a foam sandwich or anything... that's what I meant.

I see now, yes that wouldn't be ideal. Never even considered installing a res in the bays, I like window displays :)

I see now, yes that wouldn't be ideal. Never even considered installing a res in the bays, I like window displays :)

yeah I saw that in your log, thats pretty awesome  :D I would have never considered installing a bayres anywhere else but the bays, but your solution is truly creative and looks nice.

Fortunately I made some rubber grommets to eliminate the vibration issues associated with bay res. I will definitely be going with the single D5 and an EK Bay res. Thanks for all the input!