Windows 7 Mirrored Volume Fails Redundancy

N3rot0xin

So i think i have a problem, but not sure if serious or just windows being windows. I have a 2-disk raid-1(Mirrored in windows 7) array set up in an external 4-disk enclosure. When viewing the volume in Disk Management, it says "failed redundancy". One of the disks in the volume has a "!" inside of a yellow triangle over it. However, I can't seem to find a problem with the disk. From the command line, I've typed this:

DISKPART 

select disk 3 (the disk in question)

detail disk 

The result: 

WDC WD5000AAKS-65TMA SCSI Disk DeviceDisk ID: CEF8D643Type   : RAIDStatus : OnlinePath   : 0Target : 0LUN ID : 0Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0A00)#PCI(0000)#RAID(P00T00L00)Current Read-only State : NoRead-only  : NoBoot Disk  : NoPagefile Disk  : NoHibernation File Disk  : NoCrashdump Disk  : NoClustered Disk  : No   Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------  Volume 2     Y   Redundant B  NTFS   Mirror       465 GB  Rebuild

And then did the same thing for the volume:

DISKPART> detail volume   Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---  Disk 4    Online          465 GB  1024 KB   *  Disk 3    Online          465 GB  1024 KB   * Read-only              : NoHidden                 : NoNo Default Drive Letter: NoShadow Copy            : NoOffline                : NoBitLocker Encrypted    : NoInstallable            : No Volume Capacity        :  465 GBVolume Free Space      :  463 GB

I'm in the process of digging up more on this myself, but I thought it would be beneficial to ask here. So far, I've right-clicked the volume and selected 'Reactivate Volume" and then ti goes into and endless state of resyncing. Note, that at no time has the volume become inaccessible or corrupt and all of my data is still present and useable. So I'm wondering whats going on here and how i can fix it. 

I am whatever I am. 

It sounds like it's working fine except for the issues within windows because both drives have the same amount of free space, although I suppose that's a result of the RAID allocating most of the disk. Try removing one of the disks and booting and see if it works (although you are likely to get warning messages). If one of the drives doesn't work, it could either be physically broken (either not plugged in correctly or simply broken), so try RMAing it and see whether the new drive works.

HTTP/2 203

I think its related to the fact the drive cage is being powered on and off all the time. The drive goes into a rebuilding state when I reactivate it, but it takes a looooong time to rebuild. 12 hours and it was only 75% done. Theres not that much on the array, so I dont know why its taking so long. Also the drives are well beyond their RMA stage, they're years old. (but brand new, the person i got this from bought it several years ago but stored it most of the time). But i'll give what you said a try and see if i get any different results. 

I am whatever I am.