Please Critique My Watercooling Loop

inb4 comments on why I need 4 GPUs; this will be an Octane Rendering Machine.

The title says it all...

This is going to be my second watercooled build (my first watercooling build)--I'd like to get as much feedback as possible before I begin building.

The tubing size is 3/8" ID/ 5/8" OD, 240MM Rad, 420MM Rad, and a 360 Rad, D5 x Res Combo.

I'm mainly curious about my GPU loop, I know it's functional but how much hotter will be loop run with that configuration, versus a typical parallel config, or a series config. Are the temp differences negligible? 

Q5rmCcH.jpg

Looks pretty good to me, although you haven't mentioned which pump you will be using (not all D5's are created equal), and in a 4 SLI setup that is going to be the biggest factor in temperatures. 4 cards in parallel (the better choice theoretically) or serial will mean little if the pump can't output enough flow to counteract the restriction of the GPU's. Here's a decent article on the serial vs. parallel debate http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?253337-Actual-influence-of-flow-rate-on-system-temps

With the amount of variance in loops (run length, block configuration, block design, etc.) the only way you're going to get a truly accurate assessment of the loop is to attach a flow + temp meter while configured in both serial and parallel. Depending on your total run length and rad thickness you may want to consider a dual pump setup.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Looks pretty good to me, although you haven't mentioned which pump you will be using (not all D5's are created equal), and in a 4 SLI setup that is going to be the biggest factor in temperatures. 4 cards in parallel (the better choice theoretically) or serial will mean little if the pump can't output enough flow to counteract the restriction of the GPU's. Here's a decent article on the serial vs. parallel debate http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?253337-Actual-influence-of-flow-rate-on-system-temps

With the amount of variance in loops (run length, block configuration, block design, etc.) the only way you're going to get a truly accurate assessment of the loop is to attach a flow + temp meter while configured in both serial and parallel. Depending on your total run length and rad thickness you may want to consider a dual pump setup.

Thanks for the feedback.

This is the exact pump that I'm using: 

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21023/ex-pmp-252/EK_D5_X-RES_Top_140_w_D5_Vario_Pump_EK-D5_Vario_X-RES_140_incl_pump.html?tl=g57c595s1938

Do you think I need to add another pump? It's been running pretty well with my current 4 way setup.

Since you are setting up your GPUs in parallel, then I don't think there would be a problem with the heat affecting other GPUs.

I'm not an expert, but I believe that the temperature of the water flowing to your cpu block should be the same as if you only had one gpu, but it will just be flowing faster.

I'm not too familiar with Octane either, but I am assuming its a more gpu intensive workload due to you needing four of them, so I guess the extra temps on your cpu wont be very important.

Hopefully someone else can comment about flowrates

The temp difference between series and parallel are negligible. The general rule is series for 1-2 GPU's, parallel for more than 2 GPU's. What parallel gains in flow rate it loses in performance and what series gains in performance it loses in flow rate. Go with the one that makes the most sense in your head. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Thanks for the feedback.

This is the exact pump that I'm using: 

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21023/ex-pmp-252/EK_D5_X-RES_Top_140_w_D5_Vario_Pump_EK-D5_Vario_X-RES_140_incl_pump.html?tl=g57c595s1938

Do you think I need to add another pump? It's been running pretty well with my current 4 way setup.

Do you have the same or similar rad's? If the new system is going to be pretty similar to the old then I wouldn't worry about anything :)

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

I would recommend as dual D5's going with 4 GPU's parallel and 3 rads in single loop of that size or do two loops each on a single D5. I run one 480/45mm and 240/60MM and series dual gpu loop on single D5 and while pressure is fine at 5 setting at 2 or 3 where I want the noise level its to that point where if I added more to my loop another D5 would be something I would look into as well.

We can build it, we have the technology!

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I made some changes to the loop based on the feedback that you gave me. It looks good to me better I'm sure there are things I could improve. Please feel free to leave more suggestions.  :D

2LXVgGv.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I made some changes to the loop based on the feedback that you gave me. It looks good to me better I'm sure there are things I could improve. Please feel free to leave more suggestions.  :D

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that you should not connect two different pumps in either serial (or possibly parallel) unless they have the same rated flow rate and maximum head pressure?

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pumps-parallel-serial-d_636.html

Serial=Greater head pressure

Parallel=Greater flow rate

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-dcp-4-0-12v-dc-pump.html Max flow 800L/h Max head P 4.0m

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-d5-vario-laing-d5-vario.html Max flow (variable) 1500L/h Max head 3.9m

I suppose if you could get the D5 operating at exactly 800L/h it wouldn't pose an issue, but if the D5 is running anything over 800L/h it's going to be causing a huge amount of pressure up against the dcp4 in serial, as it is not rated to pump at a rate greater than 800L/h.

Maybe look into parallel for the pumps? You'll have a greater overall flow rate and at least with that route the water would have somewhere else to go besides being jammed into the dcp 4.0...the worst thing that could happen would be that the dcp 4.0 would be starved from water...or just get matching pumps and not worry about any of this.

Also, with this kind of setup I would strongly recommend throwing in a drain port. I don't think I'll ever build another loop without one, it's oddly my favorite aspect of my current rig since it's so damn easy to use the loop now :D

instead of having the outlet of the gpu loob be on top, why not go from bottom and out though that grommet in the front to back?

CPU i7 3770K@4.6Ghz Motherboard  Asus Maximus V Extreme Ram 4x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866Mhz GPU 3-Way Sli EVGA Gtx 780 //Core@1.2Ghz/Mem@7Ghz// PSU Corsair Ax1200i Storage OS 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB // 2xOCZ Vertex 4 128GB // 2xWD Red 4TB Keyboard Corsair K70 Mouse Steelseries Xai Cooling Custom Dual Loop Case Corsair 900D

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that you should not connect two different pumps in either serial (or possibly parallel) unless they have the same rated flow rate and maximum head pressure?

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pumps-parallel-serial-d_636.html

Serial=Greater head pressure

Parallel=Greater flow rate

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-dcp-4-0-12v-dc-pump.html Max flow 800L/h Max head P 4.0m

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-d5-vario-laing-d5-vario.html Max flow (variable) 1500L/h Max head 3.9m

I suppose if you could get the D5 operating at exactly 800L/h it wouldn't pose an issue, but if the D5 is running anything over 800L/h it's going to be causing a huge amount of pressure up against the dcp4 in serial, as it is not rated to pump at a rate greater than 800L/h.

Maybe look into parallel for the pumps? You'll have a greater overall flow rate and at least with that route the water would have somewhere else to go besides being jammed into the dcp 4.0...the worst thing that could happen would be that the dcp 4.0 would be starved from water...or just get matching pumps and not worry about any of this.

Also, with this kind of setup I would strongly recommend throwing in a drain port. I don't think I'll ever build another loop without one, it's oddly my favorite aspect of my current rig since it's so damn easy to use the loop now :D

Hmm what you're saying seems to make a lot of sense. My choice for selecting the DCP 4.0 pump was based on what I read on this thread:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/90502-can-i-have-two-different-pumps-in-the-same-loop/

I'm now confused at this point, however I think I may be in good shape if I can decrease the pump speed of my D5 VARIO pump.

Also yes, I'll be adding a drain port to my loop--I just forgot to illustrate it in the picture lol

Thanks!

Hmm what you're saying seems to make a lot of sense. My choice for selecting the DCP 4.0 pump was based on what I read on this thread:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/90502-can-i-have-two-different-pumps-in-the-same-loop/

I'm now confused at this point, however I think I may be in good shape if I can decrease the pump speed of my D5 VARIO pump.

Also yes, I'll be adding a drain port to my loop--I just forgot to illustrate it in the picture lol

Thanks!

You could also make two loops like someone else suggested. If it was my loop I would go a little crazy and throw in a passthrough valve so you could just fill the second loop from the res in the first, shut the valve, and call it a day...sounds complicated, but I like complicated. :)

I ended up running 2 x EK D5  Vario Pumps in a single loop.. here is a progress picture, but I don't want to show too much yet...

5WVtR2t.jpg

Sh*t I forgot to put in the other two ram sticks