Building a 4k Editing PC - Help!

-ism

Hey guys,

So I'm building a system for a dude and he wants a 4k video editing sort of deal. I am not that keen on what is good/bad for editing, I am more of a gamer. So, can you guys take a look at this system and tell me what you think? 

His budget is $2000ish. Said he can go over a bit. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DB8qNG

What would you guys suggest? I'm totally in the dark here.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

EDIT: realized that the FX doesnt have hyper threading but srsly 2tb is nothing

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Hey guys,

So I'm building a system for a dude and he wants a 4k video editing sort of deal. I am not that keen on what is good/bad for editing, I am more of a gamer. So, can you guys take a look at this system and tell me what you think? 

His budget is $2000ish. Said he can go over a bit. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DB8qNG

What would you guys suggest? I'm totally in the dark here.

I would go over to Nvidia cards, and as too my knowledge an CUDA cores accelerate workload's in the Adobe suite, and other work station things.

Next Ram with a Lower CAS Latency, and if budget room allows higher speeds.

Finally, if he is willing to stretch his budget a bit go with a more core INTEL CPU Try to avoid AMD like a plague for any form of workstations. 6 core Xeons aren't that much more expensive than the 4790K.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I would go for an AMD cpu because of 8 cores while theyre worse for gaming ore cores = faster rendering in most cases also hes going to need a MUCH bigger drive

An AMD cpu won't beat an i7 though.

An AMD cpu won't beat an i7 though.

EDIT: realized that the FX doesnt have hyper threading

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CsZ3WZ

What do you guys think about that?

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CsZ3WZ

What do you guys think about that?

Get a Z97 board.

I would go for 16GB Ram. You can always add another 16GB if you ever need it.

You don't need a 1000W psu for a single gpu. The EVGA Supernova G2 750W is a better choice if you plan on SLI.

I would suggest the GTX 970/980 over the GTX 780. 

Here's a great system for that budget that'll do well in both 4k gaming and rendering.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($338.97 @ OutletPC) 

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard: MSI Z87M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($129.79 @ Newegg) 

Storage: PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($356.13 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($356.13 @ Newegg) 

Total: $1936.91

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-21 21:46 EDT-0400

Alrighty then, so the first and main thing I changed was the graphics cards. Instead of the R9 290 s you had already there I went with 2 GTX 970s. The GTX 970s offer slightly better performance than the r9 290s while also using almost half of the power. Plus they are significantly cheaper to buy. Also, I did purposely get the original coolers for the graphics cards, because when you use 2 way SLI in a M-ATX config, the stock blower style coolers breath much better than most other custom cooling solutions. You could also go for a single GTX 980 if you would prefer a single more powerful card. I would just stay away from the 700 series because even the 970 can beat the 780ti in terms of performance and it is cheaper. Simply put, the GTX 900 series are very very good as you are getting better performance for less money without having to give anything up in the process.

Next I changed your motherboard simply because the one you chose did not support SLI, just crossfire. So yeah, SLI and stuff. Plus the Z97m Gaming Micro ATX motherboard comes with audio boost 2 and a ton of extra features like OC genie that make things much simpler.

The next thing I changed was the case. This was simply because the case that was already there simply did not have enough space for the GTX 970 graphics cards. Also it has more drive bays and is less expensive, so win-win.

For your RAM I got rid of the 32gb you had and added 16gb of faster 2133mhz memory. While 1886mhz is a good ram hot spot for gaming, faster ram is better for editing and rendering methinks. Also, 32gb is a bit overkill when it comes to ram, as for most gamers 8gb is recommended while for editing and rendering 12gb is recommended. So 16gb gives you more than enough without overdoing it and saving you money which you can put elsewhere within the computer.

For the power source I was able to lower the wattage and put in an 850W EVGA 80+ Gold. Seeing as the 970s use almost half of the power that the r9 290s do, you can save more money by getting less wattage in the power source.

And lastly, for storage. Storage is extremely important when using an editing rig because you need plenty of space to store and backup all you your files and videos. So, with that being said I took the money saved on the RAM and the power source and added 2 extra 2tb hard drives, while keeping the 240gb solid state drive. This will give you a great amount of storage and backup potential for the projects that are not currently being worked on (via the HDDs), while providing excellent speed on projects that you are working on right now (via the SSD).

Anywhoo, that's what I came up with for this budget and I hope this helped!

Here's a great system for that budget that'll do well in both 4k gaming and rendering.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($338.97 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z87M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($129.79 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1936.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-21 21:46 EDT-0400

Alrighty then, so the first and main thing I changed was the graphics cards. Instead of the R9 290 s you had already there I went with 2 GTX 970s. The GTX 970s offer slightly better performance than the r9 290s while also using almost half of the power. Plus they are significantly cheaper to buy. Also, I did purposely get the original coolers for the graphics cards, because when you use 2 way SLI in a M-ATX config, the stock blower style coolers breath much better than most other custom cooling solutions. You could also go for a single GTX 980 if you would prefer a single more powerful card. I would just stay away from the 700 series because even the 970 can beat the 780ti in terms of performance and it is cheaper. Simply put, the GTX 900 series are very very good as you are getting better performance for less money without having to give anything up in the process.

Next I changed your motherboard simply because the one you chose did not support SLI, just crossfire. So yeah, SLI and stuff. Plus the Z97m Gaming Micro ATX motherboard comes with audio boost 2 and a ton of extra features like OC genie that make things much simpler.

The next thing I changed was the case. This was simply because the case that was already there simply did not have enough space for the GTX 970 graphics cards. Also it has more drive bays and is less expensive, so win-win.

For your RAM I got rid of the 32gb you had and added 16gb of faster 2133mhz memory. While 1886mhz is a good ram hot spot for gaming, faster ram is better for editing and rendering methinks. Also, 32gb is a bit overkill when it comes to ram, as for most gamers 8gb is recommended while for editing and rendering 12gb is recommended. So 16gb gives you more than enough without overdoing it and saving you money which you can put elsewhere within the computer.

For the power source I was able to lower the wattage and put in an 850W EVGA 80+ Gold. Seeing as the 970s use almost half of the power that the r9 290s do, you can save more money by getting less wattage in the power source.

And lastly, for storage. Storage is extremely important when using an editing rig because you need plenty of space to store and backup all you your files and videos. So, with that being said I took the money saved on the RAM and the power source and added 2 extra 2tb hard drives, while keeping the 240gb solid state drive. This will give you a great amount of storage and backup potential for the projects that are not currently being worked on (via the HDDs), while providing excellent speed on projects that you are working on right now (via the SSD).

Anywhoo, that's what I came up with for this budget and I hope this helped!

Thanks so much for this. This PC isn't for me and I have no idea what is good/bad/etc. for editing and such. If this guy wanted a gaming PC I would know exactly what to tell him. Thanks so much! Hopefully I wont have to change much

Thanks so much for this. This PC isn't for me and I have no idea what is good/bad/etc. for editing and such. If this guy wanted a gaming PC I would know exactly what to tell him. Thanks so much! Hopefully I wont have to change much

No probs! HAPPY BUILDING!

You might want to consider an X99 build. With the new GTX 980 this system should be a very good video editing platform. The hdd should be run in RAID 1.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($384.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.66 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($220.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($449.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($101.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($101.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card  ($549.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2082.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-22 16:47 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.