determining audio setup

gozzygozborn

Hello LTT! 

I have been looking and researching for quite some time for an audio setup mostly for gaming (so virtual surround) and watching youtube videos. I understand that many gaming headsets come with bad headphones so i was looking at getting a decent pair of headphones and a separate mic. I would prefer closed back not to bother other people and for privacy. Exactly how loud are open headphones for people around you? I have bose headphones but the active noise cancellation sort of gives me a headache. I actually like the look of the ATH-M50x (don't ask me why that matters :)) and they have very good reviews. Then there are other people who say that the ATH-700x has more balanced tones. Then I looked at gaming headsets because I remembered that it would be more convenient to have only one cable and have the mic attached. I was looking at the hyper x clouds (only because Linus liked them so much), the razer kraken 7.1 (although i heard they were bass heavy) or pc 350 se. I don't have very advanced knowledge of audio so any input is much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

If you want to go for separate solutions, take a gander at the M40X instead of the M50X as it is very similar and costs less.

If you don't need isolation, it's a good bet open headphones are the way to go for gaming. The HD 518 is nice and cheap, and fairly comfortable.

For an all-in-one solution, the HyperX Cloud is pretty good and comes at a great price. Sennheiser's PC 350 is nice for the $130 Amazon is asking, if you want a nicer mic than what's included on the Cloud.

Use Razer Surround for virtual surround with any stereo headphones/headset.

I have the ATH-M50S and I absolutely love them. Seems like it's hard to go wrong with any of the ATH-M50 series. Pair them with a FiiO E6 or E11 to drive them and you will be happy!

P.S. check ebay for good deals I got mine for $60

System

Peripherals

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Isaac Newton

I have the ATH-M50S and I absolutely love them. Seems like it's hard to go wrong with any of the ATH-M50 series. Pair them with a FiiO E6 or E11 to drive them and you will be happy!

P.S. check ebay for good deals I got mine for $60

Yea but I don't really like the idea of used headphones so i'm fine with full price for new.

If you want to go for separate solutions, take a gander at the M40X instead of the M50X as it is very similar and costs less.

If you don't need isolation, it's a good bet open headphones are the way to go for gaming. The HD 518 is nice and cheap, and fairly comfortable.

For an all-in-one solution, the HyperX Cloud is pretty good and comes at a great price. Sennheiser's PC 350 is nice for the $130 Amazon is asking, if you want a nicer mic than what's included on the Cloud.

Use Razer Surround for virtual surround with any stereo headphones/headset.

Glad to see people are starting to recommend M40X,it was an impulse buy for me but hasn't regretted my decision.M40x and M AUDIO studio monitors have ended my long time search for budget audiophile sound.

I don't know why this topic isn't as popular as the other ones. Exactly how loud are open headphones for people around you? So there aren't gaming headsets that have good enough headphones just to be used as headphones? AT should just make a version of the M40 with a mic. 

Usually open headphones don't disturb people around you too much unless you're really close like in a dorm room. Also what's your budget? Also buying headphones used is always better than buying new. It's the same exact thing because headphones never break. You're just paying more for the same thing. I've only bought 2 out of my over 10 pairs of headphones new and that was only because I got great deals on them.

Usually open headphones don't disturb people around you too much unless you're really close like in a dorm room. Also what's your budget? Also buying headphones used is always better than buying new. It's the same exact thing because headphones never break. You're just paying more for the same thing. I've only bought 2 out of my over 10 pairs of headphones new and that was only because I got great deals on them.

I just thing used is kinda gross because you don't know where they came from. I'll say my budget is $200

I just thing used is kinda gross because you don't know where they came from. I'll say my budget is $200

Wash the pads or get new ones? It's usually not an issue. You can get very good deals on used. One pair of really nice headphones is the Sony MDR 1R which are about $190/$200 new and I got them for $130 used. Nothing wrong with them at all. Pads were pristine. Also check out the Beyerdynamic DT line. The DT770 is closed and the DT990 is open. Those might need an amp though depending on your motherboard. If you're willing to up your budget, used Denon D2000 on Head-fi classifieds can be had at around $250. 

Glad to see people are starting to recommend M40X,it was an impulse buy for me but hasn't regretted my decision.M40x and M AUDIO studio monitors have ended my long time search for budget audiophile sound.

I actually thought all the "lower end" models of the new M##X series were a bigger release than the M50X. Can't stop the hype train once it leaves the station, unfortunately.

I don't know why this topic isn't as popular as the other ones. Exactly how loud are open headphones for people around you? So there aren't gaming headsets that have good enough headphones just to be used as headphones? AT should just make a version of the M40 with a mic. 

Something close, if that's what you're into: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-770COM-Stereo-Headset/dp/B003X519CW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411332958&sr=8-3&keywords=ath+headset

So I guess I have decided that if I am gonna go the separate headphone route I am probably going to go with an M50/40X (comes with a fiio e6 btw) with one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0P1G44KZGWQM2QER7R4N

Now the question is if i could find a gaming headset with quality almost as good in my budget. some that I have picked out are: hyper x cloud, razer kraken 7.1 (or tiamat), sennheiser pc 350 se, steelseries siberia elite or astro a40 (i know thats a lot but i knew you guys would narrow them down pretty quickly  :) )

I forgot to mention my motherboard is an asus maximus VII hero so the on board audio should be sufficient. If i am not mistaken, I can use razer surround software with any headphone to give me good awareness when gaming correct?

I just realized a problem with the zalman mic. if it is on your chest does that mean you have to speak louder than one in front of your mouth? Often times when I am gaming I have to speak softly not to disturb others.

I just realized a problem with the zalman mic. if it is on your chest does that mean you have to speak louder than one in front of your mouth? Often times when I am gaming I have to speak softly not to disturb others.

Either clip it to the cable of your headphone (instead of your collar), or just turn the mic's volume up.

So I guess I have decided that if I am gonna go the separate headphone route I am probably going to go with an M50/40X (comes with a fiio e6 btw) with one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0P1G44KZGWQM2QER7R4N

Now the question is if i could find a gaming headset with quality almost as good in my budget. some that I have picked out are: hyper x cloud, razer kraken 7.1 (or tiamat), sennheiser pc 350 se, steelseries siberia elite or astro a40 (i know thats a lot but i knew you guys would narrow them down pretty quickly  :) )

I forgot to mention my motherboard is an asus maximus VII hero so the on board audio should be sufficient. If i am not mistaken, I can use razer surround software with any headphone to give me good awareness when gaming correct?

maybe this is overwhelming and i should reword it. which headset has the best audio quality? Is it almost as good as something like the m40x?