USB Keyboard nonresponsive?

Ren
Go to solution Solved by Ren,

I've got a temporary solution which was another, very damaged keyboard - the PS/2 one. Hopefully it lasts until the new one is delivered seeing as the referenced USB one is likely dead for whatver reasons (likely registry or something from what I've researched, who knows - I'm not fixing it).. This one has its flaws but it's quite ancient and inferior; can't blame it.

I recommend people keep around an ultra-cheap plug-'n'-play keyboard for scenarios just like this. They can be found for less than $15 very commonly and are worth their weight in.. more than gold (???).

Eek... I call myself a LTT vet and yet I still don't understand marking solved.. *Massive facepalm*. Thanks for the few that tried to help. I gave up.

Tl;dr USB keyboard works fine, P/S2 keyboard and USB mouse flawless* + the USB ports do not seem the problem. Is it possibly software related, or the keyboard? What are the potential fixes for this kind of problem outside of RMA/replacement?

A few months ago I had given my mother a second-hand Gigabyte GK-K6800 (discontinued?) standard 104key board. Despite it being second-hand from myself, it was virtually brand-new and hardly used. The entire area lost power before this happened due to renovations and cutting the incorrect wire. Looks like the EVGA power supply saved the main hardware but I can't be sure.

Anyway, I'm on the affected computer using an ancient P/S2 keyboard and USB mouse that are working flawlessly. The current P/S2 keyboard, as are most P/S2 keyboards, are amazing. The issue is that it has a very finicky spacebar and is essentially useless for her (and anyone else, for that matter). I guess it's nothing compared to the latest greatest, at least in my opinion, but that's another matter.

The issue at hand is that the USB keyboard is not registering keys at all. All 104 of them, no matter what I try. I'm afraid that a replacement is needed because her and myself surely do not have the money right this second and I am definitely not going the cheap route again. More info on the proplem: it looks 100% functional due to the LEDs but nothing on it works. Media keys, volume wheel, nothing. *Hell, it even makes the mouse act strange and I really don't know why. With that being said, the mouse w/the malfunctioning keyboard unplugged works 100% as intended.

And before people spam "Just RMA/replace it", you obviously didn't read enough of the main post. Do so. Also, my RMA expired months ago. Best Buy sucks unless you're getting gigantic saving because of price match btw (just wanted to throw that out there since it relates). I bought this on Amazon but there's no way they'd replace it and it'd take weeks through them, which I do not have. Edit: I cannot do this through Gigabyte because it is discontinued. Luckily Amazon still has stock. I've called all of the necessary people and the only viable option is to just replace it.

Might sound silly but is it plugged into a USB3 port? Don't do that. Or get yourself a USB to PS2 adaptor for like 1 dollar.

usb 3 the devil lol

Its all looks these days

usb 3 the devil lol

...It's not USB3. That's like the first step in troubleshooting and this pc doesn't even have USB3.

I've got a temporary solution which was another, very damaged keyboard - the PS/2 one. Hopefully it lasts until the new one is delivered seeing as the referenced USB one is likely dead for whatver reasons (likely registry or something from what I've researched, who knows - I'm not fixing it).. This one has its flaws but it's quite ancient and inferior; can't blame it.

I recommend people keep around an ultra-cheap plug-'n'-play keyboard for scenarios just like this. They can be found for less than $15 very commonly and are worth their weight in.. more than gold (???).

Eek... I call myself a LTT vet and yet I still don't understand marking solved.. *Massive facepalm*. Thanks for the few that tried to help. I gave up.