Which gtx 780 ?

Sjbr101

Ok so there are a lot of gtx 780's out there at the moment, EVGA, ASUS, PNY, MSi Etc etc, I LOVE the reference cooler with the glowing logo, my rig has green and red led's so it will look 'the boss' but I am totally confused over which one to buy...... In the UK at the moment they are all priced slightly differently brands like ASUS are charging £20 more than say GIGIABYTE, but two cards are way cheaper, PNY and PALIT are charging only £520 compared to £559 from GIGABYTE ! Now I am no fool I know that PALIT cards are normally cheaper due to cheap plastic coolers and cheap parts, but on a reference design is any of that true? Should I just buy the cheapest one or is there a 'hidden' difference to be wary of ?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

If you like the reference design, buy it. If you want better cooling, look for an aftermarket version. I'm not experienced with PALIT cards, but from what you just said, I'd avoid them.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The asus direct cu 2 GTX 780 is being shown on the 4th June so I'd look out for that.

Fractal Design Define S, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz, Noctua NH-D14, Asus Sabertooth Z77, EVGA 980Ti SC+, 4x8GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz, EVGA P2 1000W, Creative sound blaster Z, 2xSamsung 850 120GB RAID 0, 2xWestern Digital Caviar Black 1TB Other stuffs: BenQ XL2411t, LG Flatron M2262D, Ducky Shine 3, Logitech G400s, Steelseries QCK Heavy, Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm, Shure SE215, Blue Snowball

I was originally going to purchase reference evga 780s but they were all out of stock everywhere (In Australia at least). I ended up going for Galaxy branded reference ones. The money wasn't really an issue but I still wonder why they are priced $40 more expensive and come with two instead of three years on the warranty. The Asus ones are crazy at $840 compared to the EVGA brand at $729. I don't get it..

All reference 780's are all made the same so I would pick whichever sells them the cheapest.

Some people will felt weird why same design cooler but different company having different price.

From what I KNOW, people told me is the number of production. EVGA, Palit, Galaxy, Leadtek are like the first hand company or the company get the reference design in a big amount, so they can have some sort of like special promo price. While Asus, Gigabyte, MSI these doesnt, and they love to throw in 3rd party cooler too. From what i can tell, this big 3 might want to balance out their own marketing price? maybe.

Same goes to Sapphire, XFX. It might be just some business strategy. But who cares? lots of ppl are grabbing the first hand stock, i mean by reference design and only those few company make it. I know Asus also make it on the spot on launching, but some country might dont have EVGA, Palit, Galaxy and me here does == only Leadtek (special order), Asus, Gigabyte. MSI at several place.

All are just my opinion. and i'm not good in these so hope all appologize and correct me if im wrong.

CHEERS!

My 2013 First Build
Processor : Intel i7 3930K | Motherboard : Asus Rampage IV GENE | RAM : 2x Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 2x4GB Kit (Mix color black and red) | Graphics : Asus GTX 680 Direct CU II OC | SSD : Intel 520 Series 120GB | Cooler : Corsair H100i | PSU : Corsair AX760 | Chassis : Corsair Obsidian 650D | Mouse : Razer Mamba 4G Edition | Keyboard : Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013

The asus direct cu 2 GTX 780 is being shown on the 4th June so I'd look out for that.

I agree with you, Asus aftermarket coolers are top class and my favorite by far. 

Also, pick a card design which fits the design of your build!

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

I agree with you, Asus aftermarket coolers are top class and my favorite by far. 

Also, pick a card design which fits the design of your build!

As long as it isn't triple slot it will be very tempting

Fractal Design Define S, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz, Noctua NH-D14, Asus Sabertooth Z77, EVGA 980Ti SC+, 4x8GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz, EVGA P2 1000W, Creative sound blaster Z, 2xSamsung 850 120GB RAID 0, 2xWestern Digital Caviar Black 1TB Other stuffs: BenQ XL2411t, LG Flatron M2262D, Ducky Shine 3, Logitech G400s, Steelseries QCK Heavy, Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm, Shure SE215, Blue Snowball

EVGAs ACX cooler seems to work well with their superclocked card, often beating the Titan in benchmarks. That is the one I would, and will go with. It also looks a LOT better than the Asus ones, that is my opinion.

- CoolerMaster CM II Advanced - Core i7 4770k @ 4.2Ghz - ASUS Z87 Sabertooth - EVGA GTX 460 SC - 8 Gb Mushckin Enhanced Silverline -

- 120Gb Intel 320 SSD - 1TB WD Caviar Black - BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair TX750W -

EVGA GTX 780 with the ACX cooler. What a damn beast.

The reason I prefer the asus cards is that they perform very well and have a backplate, the part of the card you actually look at most of the time.

I ordered EVGA ACX SC, but cancelled it and I'll wait for Classified Edition, there is info from EVGA staff on forum, that it'll be out soon.

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

it all depends on what you like, if you want more cooling then don't go with a reference design, go with something that has a dual fan design they are also quieter, i would go with asus because they use high end parts for there cards which means there card will preform better and last longer. hope this helped

Thanks all for the quick responses, I think I will go for a reference card from EVGA, I like the ref design, I know the cooling will be better with a twin frozen or direct cu II ( I currently have a 660 ti asus) but I love the green led logo. Early OC'ing results show 150 to 200 MHz increase on ref cards I think I will be happy with that and I am only on 1080 with 3d vision. Just don't fancy taking the risk with a PALIT card. I went through 3 ocz ssd's before I finally gave up got my cash back and bought a Samsung for £15 more and I haven't missed a beat since! I guess you buy cheap you buy twice !!!

Cheers all