Do I still have a virus?

BlindPotato
Go to solution Solved by FizzyFantom,

You should be just fine, all the non-volatile easily-accessed storage in a PC is on the HDDs/SSDs. SD cards and USB storage devices can also transfer viruses. By replacing all the storage devices you have left behind any viruses that were on those drives/cards. RAM is volatile and cannot hold data after the power is cut and finalised DVDs (which I believe is all bootable DVDs) cannot be written to, so those should be fine.

So, I suspected that i got a virus, and since my hard drive and motherboard were pretty old, i decided to upgrade while I am at it. My question is: Is there even a slightest chance that the virus could still be in my computer? I had the Windows installation disc (it is read only though?) in my optical drive when I had the virus, could the virus have transferred itself to the disc, and reappear when I install Windows again? Or could the virus be stored in any of these components: CPU, GPU, RAM, any cables (e.g SATA, cables from the case and so on), PSU or optical drive?

I know it is a silly question, but I want to be certain that I don't have the virus any more.

Hopefully I posted this on the right place.

Thank you.

That´s what I wanted to hear! Is there anyone else who can confirm this?

Awesome. I was a little bit worried if cache can store something, since I didn't find any good information about it on google, but it looks like don't have to worry anymore. Thanks to both of you!

If it was a completely fresh install, and the windows install I believe is read only (not RW) then it would be gone. The only info stored in any other component other than RAM and storage is ROM (other than cache which doesn't permanently store any info), I believe (correct me if I am wrong), so it wouldn't have stored on that, you are fine.

"Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week; why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!" —Samantha Carter

A dumb question: what are some examples of ROM? 

GPU / motherboard firmwares and such

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

OK. Well since I got a new motherboard (can anything be stored on a GPU?) I should be fine then(?).

OK. Well since I got a new motherboard (can anything be stored on a GPU?) I should be fine then(?).

ROM is Read Only Memory e.g. BIOPS, so nothing can overwrite it, except, for example, when you flash your motherboard BIOS, to update it to a new version, you are removing the BIOS and adding a new one, which is why it is potentially damaging and can brick a motherboard.

"Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week; why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!" —Samantha Carter

You should be just fine, all the non-volatile easily-accessed storage in a PC is on the HDDs/SSDs. SD cards and USB storage devices can also transfer viruses. By replacing all the storage devices you have left behind any viruses that were on those drives/cards. RAM is volatile and cannot hold data after the power is cut and finalised DVDs (which I believe is all bootable DVDs) cannot be written to, so those should be fine.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

And cache is also volatile isn't it?

Yes, similar to RAM it won't hold any data after the power is cut.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."