How many of you video edit + do it as a hobby?

Geekazoid

Hi guys,

I made a status update asking this same question and thought that I'd extend this question to the whole LTT community. I do video edit a lot and find it quite enjoyable because of how creative I can be, especially when you can create great YouTube intros + outros with motion graphics and even animated logos. I also enjoy the colour correction as well as other areas of video editing. It's one of the most enjoyable things IMO.

What about the rest of this LTT community, do you video edit and do it as a hobby? If so, what aspects of video editing do you enjoy? I would love to know all those who enjoy video editing as much as I do. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I do it for fun occasionally for YouTube. I mostly do Let's Plays which are extremely easy to edit. Sometimes however, I do reviews which are fun to do with lots of scripting and editing.

I do it for fun occasionally for YouTube. I mostly do Let's Plays which are extremely easy to edit. Sometimes however, I do reviews which are fun to do with lots of scripting and editing.

Ah, cool. Would you say it's your most favourite thing to do or not really?

I only do it when I need to do it...

Last good one I did was a pseudo-stop-motion a year ago...

Ah, cool. Would you say it's your most favourite thing to do or not really?

I prefer programming over it but it can be pretty enjoyable.

I prefer programming over it but it can be pretty enjoyable.

Ah, okay. Quite interesting. :)

Yes I do.
I find it very enjoyable when you know you have spent time making something and seeing the final result.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

I find video editing extremely fun and relaxing. I usually edit a video once a week or so.

Yeah, it is quite relaxing, agreed. You can pretty much let your imagination run away when you're video editing and the end results are usually quite good. BTW, I need to watch more of your YouTube videos. You do quite a good job. I think you said that you use Sony Vegas Pro, correct? I love the program. It can be a little difficult to learn at first, but heck, once you do, you begin to realise how much you can do with it? Tis a very good application.

Yes I do.

I find it very enjoyable when you know you have spent time making something and seeing the final result.

Yes, I absolutely love that. Usually at the end of it you're like, WOW! Did I just create that? :)

I've always thought that video editing was interesting but never started. Where did you guys start when you first got into video editing? What equipment and software do you usually use?

It started about 4 years ago when I had the interest of video editing. I'm a huge fan of Film Riot by that time and their Monday Challenge (A monthly video submission) is always exciting because we do our own scripts, have many actors in the area, and edit videos ourselves. I really dig video editing. My username in itself houses 'FX' which is quite common in the video world. I used to edit in SVP but I ditched it to look for a more professional NLE. I switched to Adobe Premiere Pro CC just recently (about a year) and my needs fit right in. I do short films primarily and I'm constantly learning from my mistakes. 

I'm heavily inclined just to editing but I do color correction and color grading too when I got time. I use Premiere for the color correction and Davinci Resolve for the grading but it's very tedious when you do it shot by shot. I like how Adobe has the Dynamic Link which makes editing more simpler. I can switch between Adobe apps when need be. (i.e editing audio in Audition)

I enjoy editing a lot because it's what I consider as the 'creative' part in the whole 'filmmaking' process. (You can set the tone via color grades, change audio tracks which changes the mood) I edit once a month and it's very soothing and relaxing doing it. Here's my latest video in my new channel (assuming it doesn't violate LTT's CoC)

TrinityFX

CPU: i5-4440 @ 3.1Ghz RAM: Crucial 1 x 4GB @ 1.6Ghz  MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate GPU: PCS+ HD 7870 Ghz Edition | CASE: NZXT Source 210 Window | HDD #1: Toshiba 3.5" 500GB HDD #2: Toshiba 2.5" 500GB PSU: Cougar SL500 OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2wccCJ |

I really like it. Edit videos a couple times every week (usually gameplay/etc). Just getting use to Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13, which is more than good enough for what I'm doing. Definitely something I'm going to keep at in the future.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

i used to a bit of video editing. dont have the time anymore, but would like to start again. its just fun, creative, and when someone appreciates it, its feels good 

MotherBoard: Asus Z87 Gryphon CPU: i5 4670k CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 GPU: Asus Radeon R9 290 DCUII RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 2x4GB

PSU: Corsair HX650v2 SemiModular Storage: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX Monitor: Samsung S24D590PL Keybord: Ducky Shine Zero Cherry  Red Mouse: Corsair Raptor M45

I do it for my Youtube channel. I use Lightworks (free) and Windows Movie Maker (I don't do super movie effects or anything..) Most of my videos are just.. cut, transition, and maybe a text overlay every once in a while.

Reviews are a crap ton of work when you're by yourself and doing it with more than just a webcam (i've done both..)

Game Playthroughs have their own challenge especially when the clip doesn't save right.. Slowly doing a playthrough of the new Naruto Ninja Storm Revolution and I had to do the first part 3 times cause the clip failed.. But editing those don't take very much.. its mostly intros and outros that trip me up while recording.