550w psu enough for the GTX 770?

Radagast

Hi,

I saw Linus power a GTX Titan with a Seasonic G-Series 550w power supply. But the GTX 770 specs recommend a minimum of 600w. I'm getting a 770 in a few weeks. Will the Seasonic G-Series 550w power supply be enough? If it can power a Titan it would seem the answer is yes. But the fact that Nvidia lists a minimum of 600w makes me wonder.

Thanks for any input.

I'd get 650 watts to be safe. It's best to go more than what you truly need for future upgrades.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

if you get a good quality PSU 550W is more than enough for a 770/780/titan

I'd get 650 watts to be safe. It's best to go more than what you truly need for future upgrades.

there won't be a single chip GPU that needs 350W so your logic makes no sense :D And if you want to plan for SLI/CF you need 750/850W

But most people will never go SLI/CF and will be fine with a 500W PSU

if you get a good quality PSU 550W is more than enough for a 770/780/titan

there won't be a single chip GPU that needs 350W so your logic makes no sense :D And if you want to plan for SLI/CF you need 750/850W

But most people will never go SLI/CF and will be fine with a 500W PSU

Sure, but you're gonna need more power if you plan to overclock everything (CPU, GPU, RAM) and stick multiple hard drives and SSDs. And cases now support close to a dozen fans. Then there's sound cards, wifi adapters, radiator pumps, DVD drives, fan controllers. All of that requires more power. So if you wanna do that with just a 500 PSU, you're looking a one hot power supply. And this isn't even including SLI/Crossfire

Edit: And let's not forget that most 500-550w PSUs only have 20-25 amps on the 12V rail, which is simply not recommended for a 770/780/Titan.

Sure, but you're gonna need more power if you plan to overclock everything (CPU, GPU, RAM) and stick multiple hard drives and SSDs. And cases now support close to a dozen fans. Then there's sound cards, wifi adapters, radiator pumps, DVD drives, fan controllers. All of that requires more power. So if you wanna do that with just a 500 PSU, you're looking a one hot power supply. And this isn't even including SLI/Crossfire

Edit: And let's not forget that most 500-550w PSUs only have 20-25 amps on the 12V rail.

a 550W gold psu won't get as hot as a 750W bronze PSU even under voll load. Why would you buy anything else but a singlerail PSU? 500W ~>40A

A overclocked 3770k with a overclocked GTX770 need 300-350W including SSD/HDD, 2 casefans. there is enough room for a soundcard for sure...or 5 more hdds. A good psu dosen't just die at max load...i can deliver at least 110% or more. A cheap 800W psu could die at 400W load.

buy quality not size.

a 550W gold psu won't get as hot as a 750W bronze PSU even under voll load. Why would you buy anything else but a singlerail PSU? 500W ~>40A

A overclocked 3770k with a overclocked GTX770 need 300-350W including SSD/HDD, 2 casefans. there is enough room for a soundcard for sure...or 5 more hdds. A good psu dosen't just die at max load...i can deliver at least 110% or more. A cheap 800W psu could die at 400W load.

buy quality not size.

Yes, I agree you should buy quality.

And I never said a PSU would just die at max load. I know about constant wattages vs. peak wattages. If you plan a build it should stay at that rated constant wattage, not the peak. Then there's the matter of efficiency... if you're running a PSU at %110, you're sacrificing that efficiency. This is my opinion, If you want to build a risky build then be my guest.

Yes, I agree you should buy quality.

And I never said a PSU would just die at max load. I know about constant wattages vs. peak wattages. If you plan a build it should stay at that rated constant wattage, not the peak. Then there's the matter of efficiency... if you're running a PSU at %110, you're sacrificing that efficiency. This is my opinion, If you want to build a risky build then be my guest.

i didn't say you should run a psu at 100% but you could. And 350W from a 550W psu are? ~60-65%. my point was that you don't need more than a 500W psu, and that is just far away from beeing risky for a normal build.

i didn't say you should run a psu at 100% but you could. And 350W from a 550W psu are? ~60-65%. my point was that you don't need more than a 500W psu, and that is just far away from beeing risky for a normal build.

Now we're just playing the "He didn't say, she didn't say" game.

Thanks guys. I might go with the Seasonic 550w. I could get the Corsair cxm 750w for the same price to be safe. Decisions decisions.

I'd still get a higher wattage PSU for future upgrades.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

That's a total no brainer, go with the 750W, corsair make superb PSUs as well as seasonic.

And to add to this... Corsair PSUs are actually OEM from Seasonic, So if you're buying Corsair, you're buying Seasonic. :)

Ok it's settled then. Corsair it is. Cheers guys. :)

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GeForce_GTX_770_WindForce_OC/25.html

It's maximum power draw is <240w, while the peak during gaming load is <200w. The maximum draw is typically something you won't see during realistic scenarios other than Furmark. If you are pairing it with an Ivybridge processor, the Seasonic G SSR-550RM is an excellent unit that can power a single GTX770 with overclocks.

The Corsair CX750 is an Channel Well Tech (CWT) build base on the PUQ-B platform as stated above, so it should be a good unit; however, it is a bit cost down. It uses a sleeve-bearing fan rather than a ball bearing one, as well as uses caps that are rated at a lower temperature (85C vs 105C) as well as lower quality taiwanese caps vs japanese caps. Quality-wise, the CX750 is inferior to the Thermaltake Smart 750w that is based on the same PUQ-B platform. If you are from the states, the non-modular Thermaltake SMART Series SP-750PCBUS is on sale atm for $76.49 or $61.49 if you do and get the rebate. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153174

That power supply will be capable of SLI that 770.

And let's not forget that most 500-550w PSUs only have 20-25 amps on the 12V rail, which is simply not recommended for a 770/780/Titan.

Most 500-550w PSUs will have 38-45A on the +12v rail. A PSU that's only have 25A (300w) would be a  <~350w.

And to add to this... Corsair PSUs are actually OEM from Seasonic, So if you're buying Corsair, you're buying Seasonic. :)

They are OEM from Channel Well Tech (CWT), Flextronic, and Hipro as well. Most of them are CWT including the CX750 as stated above. As of now, the only Seasonic build Corsair are the HX650v2 and AX series (the AX1200 and AXi are Flextronic).

Most 500-550w PSUs will have 38-45A on the +12v rail. A PSU that's only have 25A (300w) would be a  <~350w.

I was referring to multi-rail PSUs.

Nvidia reccomends a 650W PSU. But you must know:

IT NEEDS A 12V RAIL CAPABLE OF 42 AMPS.

Oops. I should have mentioned that I'm only using one SSD, no mechanical hard drive, won't be overclocking or adding a second graphics card and it's a mini-itx build. According to Seasonic's website the G-Series 550w does indeed supply 45 amps on the 12v rail. And it has an 80 Plus Gold rating.

Just get a nice 80+gold 500W psu already :D

Just get a nice 80+gold 500W psu already :D

:D