Sennheiser IE80

I have some questions about the Sennheiser IE80s'.

If someone owns a pair, I'd like to know:

How is the isolation?

Sound leakage?

Do they get uncomfortable after a while? I want to be able to use them several hours at a time.

How practical are they? Carrying around and stuff.

Do you use a DAC with them? If so what kind? Is it completely necessary?

What kind of music are they best for?

Thanks, I know, it's a lot of questions. But I feel obligated to know basically everything and anything before buying them :)

They're currently on massdrop for $250 should you choose to buy them. 

Edit: Nvm...it mustve just ended.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

There currently on massdrop for $250 should you chose to buy them. 

Where? I'm gonna go ahead and bet they won't ship to Norway though..

I don´t own them.

They wont leak sound, they are IEMs. I would think they are good for EDM or any music with more bass, because they have the adjustable bass strength.

They don´t need a DAC.

I don´t own them.

They wont leak sound, they are IEMs. I would think they are good for EDM or any music with more bass, because they have the adjustable bass strength.

They don´t need a DAC.

I also own phillips fidelio S2s' and they leak so bad I can't use them in public.

your post is appreciated :)

I also own phillips fidelio S2s' and they leak so bad I can't use them in public.

For a second I thought I had gone ahead myself and created this post without remembering, I'm also trying to decide if I should go for the IE80's.. and also have the fidelio S2 at the moment..

Do you now of any other places than Soundgarden that has them in stock at the moment here in Norway?

I have the IE80's for 3 or 4months now and used those on my phone for the most time, but they sound much better on my sansa clip + with rockbox on it.

http://www.amazon.de/SanDisk-Sansa-SDMX18-008G-E46K-MP3-Player-schwarz/dp/B002NX0ME6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410869062&sr=8-1&keywords=sansa+clip+%2B

installing rockbox and setting it up is ez as pudge and it really works well, too.

The IE80 themselves are really good IEMs, nice build quality, nice cables, nice comfort, nice sound, adjustable bass (I use the highest setting^^) and overall a really nice product. I expect them to last me for quite some while.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

I have some questions about the Sennheiser IE80s'.

If someone owns a pair, I'd like to know:

How is the isolation?

Sound leakage?

Do they get uncomfortable after a while? I want to be able to use them several hours at a time.

How practical are they? Carrying around and stuff.

Do you use a DAC with them? If so what kind? Is it completely necessary?

What kind of music are they best for?

Thanks, I know, it's a lot of questions. But I feel obligated to know basically everything and anything before buying them :)

I own the IE80, UE900, and XBA-4s.

I have mixed feelings about the IE80s but to answer your questions first.

1. The isolation is good with provided foam tips, less so with silicon tips. I think you will find this to be true on the majority of headphones. I currently use Comply Isolation Plus with these which results in much better sound.

2. Little to none sound leakage with the correct fitting

3. the earbuds are quite comfortable, depending on the tips you use. The looping design behind your ears however is probably the worst i've seen with IEMs. You can either go without memory wires, which means the loop constantly come undone, or you can go with the memory wires which fixs the issue once you fit them properly but they are incredibly awkward to fit, plus with the memory wires the headphones also become quite awkward to store in the provided box.

4. the carrying case itself provides space for the headphones, memory wires (sort of), and two additional pairs of tips, quite easy to carry.

5. I use them with the fiio e07k/e17k, whichever isnt charging at the time. the DAC improves sound but isnt necessary, it sound fine coming straight out of my OnePlus One.

6. the soundstage for these headphones are definitely bass heavy, you are going to get a lot of base, if you listen to bass heavy music with these it will feel like the headphones are shaking inside your ears and are trying to escape (metaphor there). However the mids warm and highs are quite clean.

Hopefully that answers your questions, now back to my original rant.

The bass on these are also a bit overwhelming, and I actually like bass. I wish there was a way to tune the bass down, and there is, but even at minimum levels it still produces more bass than any in-ear headphones i've ever had. If you adjust the bass dials up you get in-ear subwoofers. Also, the IE80 comes with 1 cable, and because it doesnt use standard IEM connectors like Shure, Westone, Ultimate Ears, Sony, and basically all other IEM manufacturers, there isnt a lot of cable options available. I couldn't find one with built-in memory wires, and the only cables I could find that comes with a mic are for the old IE8s, which will work, only for iOS.

For the price of these IEMs ($400-500) you can get the Logitech UE900s ($400), or the Sony XBA-4s ($350), plus a Fiio DAC/AMP. Because bothe the UE900 and the XBA-4s uses quad balanced armature drivers per ear instead of a single dynamic one, the sound is much cleaner and more percise. If you attach them to a DAC/AMP you can still increase bass to near uncomfortable levels.

Anyways, hope that helps. I'd personally recommend the UE900s with an DAC, unless bass is the absolute most important thing for you.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

For the price of these IEMs ($400-500) you can get the Logitech UE900s ($400), or the Sony XBA-4s ($350), plus a Fiio DAC/AMP. Because bothe the UE900 and the XBA-4s uses quad balanced armature drivers per ear instead of a single dynamic one, the sound is much cleaner and more percise. If you attach them to a DAC/AMP you can still increase bass to near uncomfortable levels.

Anyways, hope that helps. I'd personally recommend the UE900s with an DAC, unless bass is the absolute most important thing for you.

The UE900s cost over $500 here in Norway, while the IE80s cost exactly 400$. Still worth it? The Sony XBA-4s aren't sold here. Can you recommend anything else on the same level as the UE900s?

Thanks man, appreciate all the answers :)

For a second I thought I had gone ahead myself and created this post without remembering, I'm also trying to decide if I should go for the IE80's.. and also have the fidelio S2 at the moment..

Do you now of any other places than Soundgarden that has them in stock at the moment here in Norway?

Dustin home also has them, but they cost more there.

http://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=995580

The UE900s cost over $500 here in Norway, while the IE80s cost exactly 400$. Still worth it? The Sony XBA-4s aren't sold here. Can you recommend anything else on the same level as the UE900s?

Thanks man, appreciate all the answers :)

the Sony XBA-4s are sold for $200 us on ebay it says shipping world-wide.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Løp og kjøp! Virkelig fornøyd med dem. Alt er veldig klart, og bassen tung som fy! selv på laveste innstilling. Kjøpte fra Soundgarden, de kom dagen derpå :)