Winrar Laggs my pc !

Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

Yeah the green drives aren't designed for running an OS (they're more for use as a storage drive), so their read/write rate is lower than most drives (eg. the Blue drives). Therefore, if you try to run an OS, which loads and unloads most stuff to the disk dynamically, while reading a large file, processing it (which can use quite a bit of your CPU, but I packed a 20GB folder with 7-zip on my 3770k (on ultra compression) without too much of a performance hit), and writing it back to the same disk, the OS doesn't get enough drive time to read and write to the disk whenever it wants. You're just going to have to live with it or buy a new hard drive I'm afraid.

Hello ,

when i try to extract some files with winrar ( the lateset version of it )  it laggs my pc last time i extracted 11GB with it my pc lagged like hell and it's a new pc i couldn't move the mouse just watching it till it finish any other thing i do laggs the whole pc

is there anything i can do to fix this problem or it's some hardware problem ?

btw here's my h.d.d pics of ( HD Tune )

post-23244-0-80037600-1370027668.png

post-23244-0-12001800-1370027672.png

post-23244-0-55385200-1370027675.png

post-23244-0-68498900-1370027678.png

Try 7Zip, cleaner interface and overall better extraction utility IMO.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

7-zip

Character artist in the Games industry.

how many core on your cpu? Check if your Operating System is actually detecting all the core?

Looks like a WD Green. Assuming this is the only drive (or OS drive at least) in the machine...

This is not a 'problem'. You are simultaneously reading off the HDD, working on that data, and then writing the unpacked data back to HDD. Yes, you are going to experience some 'lag' especially on files that large.

"Practice static safety, hack naked." - Mega Tokyo

i7-3770K, 16GB, Samsung 840PRO, R9-290X, Corsair 650D

could we also get some specs? in the meantime use 7-zip maybe?

Cpu : intel I5 3570K

M.B: Asus V Gene

H.D.D: 2TB Green WD

Rams : 8GB 2x4GB Cl9 1600

Vga : Asus top direct CU II gtx 660

Looks like a WD Green. Assuming this is the only drive (or OS drive at least) in the machine...

This is not a 'problem'. You are simultaneously reading off the HDD, working on that data, and then writing the unpacked data back to HDD. Yes, you are going to experience some 'lag' especially on files that largeY

Yes it's the WD Green and i do have OS on it's machine ( Since SSD is overpriced in my region ) the probem is not the file size any size passing the 1GB limit lags my pc and this is a new rig kinda makes me sick though and i had a wb 750GB with C7 problem and it didn't even lag that much

could we also get some specs? in the meantime use 7-zip maybe?

Cpu : intel I5 3570K

M.B: Asus V Gene

H.D.D: 2TB Green WD

Rams : 8GB 2x4GB Cl9 1600

Vga : Asus top direct CU II gtx 660

and i will use z-zip and give it a try but if it lagged i'm gonna kill my self :D

how many core on your cpu? Check if your Operating System is actually detecting all the core?

post-23244-0-20558400-1370056980_thumb.p

Try using a different program...?

about the winrar i'll try 7-zip , about HD Tune to check the hard drive yes alot i even used "Acronis" to check for errors but it's ok .....!

i used 7-zip it alot faster than winrar and it lagged as well * Used it on the same file as the winrar *

Maybe coz it's a green H.D.D ? this is gonna drive me crazy

might be an issue with the z77 chipset. try to get the latest drivers from intel.

might be an issue with the z77 chipset. try to get the latest drivers from intel.

Did that no help

Yeah the green drives aren't designed for running an OS (they're more for use as a storage drive), so their read/write rate is lower than most drives (eg. the Blue drives). Therefore, if you try to run an OS, which loads and unloads most stuff to the disk dynamically, while reading a large file, processing it (which can use quite a bit of your CPU, but I packed a 20GB folder with 7-zip on my 3770k (on ultra compression) without too much of a performance hit), and writing it back to the same disk, the OS doesn't get enough drive time to read and write to the disk whenever it wants. You're just going to have to live with it or buy a new hard drive I'm afraid.

HTTP/2 203

i googled your drive part number, other people with the same drive seems to be having similar problems. i do suspect a firmware problem with the drive at this point. what seems to be happening for others at least, is that the writes are slowing down over time. The bigger the file, the slower the drive becomes. Try contacting Western Digital with the issue, they will probably tell you to run their diagnostic software, so you should try that before contacting them. Oh and you should really backup your data somewhere else first. Anyway, unless they release a firmware update for the drive, your going to have to buy a new drive.

True but when it makes ur whole pc lags and it's a new rig ! i ran all over the place to check if i did something wrong then a friend came with an ssd today to see what was all the fuss about he made me watch some speed rates that i couldn't even dream of ( Never used an ssd before coz they are pricey in my region )

and Thank you for reading this :)

i googled your drive part number, other people with the same drive seems to be having similar problems. i do suspect a firmware problem with the drive at this point. what seems to be happening for others at least, is that the writes are slowing down over time. The bigger the file, the slower the drive becomes. Try contacting Western Digital with the issue, they will probably tell you to run their diagnostic software, so you should try that before contacting them. Oh and you should really backup your data somewhere else first. Anyway, unless they release a firmware update for the drive, your going to have to buy a new drive.

Tried that before when i had a problem with my 750GB Green WD and they did nothing and u are right i need an OS drive only

Thank you for responding back

Does win7 have any default things to unpack with? Because win8 has and it does the job just as good as a 3rd party program

Does win7 have any default things to unpack with? Because win8 has and it does the job just as good as a 3rd party program

Win7 does, but it can only handle .zip files (not .7z/.rar etc) which isn't so practical, and its compression algorithm is significantly inferior to any 3rd party program. By the sounds of it, he would experience problems whatever piece of software he used.

HTTP/2 203

The only resonable thing that i can think about to solve this problem is to get a faster H.D.D or an ssd besides it

Thank to all of you for responding back to this topic

Let's hope we win linus's giveaway :)