is there a way to re use windows 7 oem on a diffrent motherboard?

ok so ive been wanting to build another pc but i only need the motherboard but i don't want to buy windows 7 again so is there way to use the widows 7 that i have on my current pc on the new pc like duplicating it?

Yes, as long as you have your original OEM installation disc. If you have to download it, you have to make sure you get the correct OEM version of the disc, or it won't see the key as valid, but yes, I've reinstalled the same copy of Windows 7 through many upgrade/formats of my rig without any issues, and I've never had to call, it's always went through online just fine.

There sure is. I've used my Windows disc and key around 5 times now. Their system is definitely flawed.

No it does not, I have tried several methods to get either Acer, Sony and HP recovery disks and their COA keys to work on my new test bench PC, but looks like Microsoft has found a work around in Windows 7 :P

When you boot up from the HP recovery disks the system will give a message that your BIOS does not match the OEM BIOS or something like that..

For Acer/Sony Windows will install since they supplied Windows 7 Professional Installation DVD and driver disk was separate but the COA key did not work for activation same goes for HP COA key too.

This method did used to work with Windows Vista and early versions of Windows 7 but now it does not.

You can buy Windows 8 Pro its like $98 from NCIX click here to go to NCIX website.

You can so long as you don't reactivate Windows on your OLD pc ( i.e you don't use that PC again ), Windows will always be assigned / registered to the PC you last registered it on and use.

You can so long as you don't reactivate Windows on your OLD pc ( i.e you don't use that PC again )

Ethically, you should have a OEM key for each machine you own.

Technically, you can use a single OEM key multiple times and on multiple machines or VM's, if you do it more than a few times a year you will have to call each time to activate it on further machines and lie to the person that it's for the same machine.

Obviously everyone here is ethical and we do the right thing.

You can so long as you don't reactivate Windows on your OLD pc ( i.e you don't use that PC again )' date=' Windows will always be assigned / registered to the PC you last registered it on and use.[/quote']

Hmm. I have registered literally 5 PC's on 1 code and disc and I haven't run into any problems with any of the PC's.

You can so long as you don't reactivate Windows on your OLD pc ( i.e you don't use that PC again )' date=' Windows will always be assigned / registered to the PC you last registered it on and use.[/quote'] Hmm. I have registered literally 5 PC's on 1 code and disc and I haven't run into any problems with any of the PC's.

Tell us more? like was it OEM windows? and did it come with a Branded PC like HP or Sony because for me it just didnt work :( tried everything.. yeah you can call Microsoft up and lie to them but that isnt the right thing to do!!

In all fairness, it is a recorded voice that asks you how many PCs you're running it on, but I personally have reused an OEM copy of Windows 7 (Home Premium and Ultimate, both) on machines that I have built, as well as other types (Thanks, TechNet subscription!). I know you can use it more than once at a time, because I had it running on the old machine as I got the new machine up, before I salvaged the old one.

Tell us more? like was it OEM windows?

You can't use the recovery media to install windows if you're not installing on the laptop, you would have to download the corresponding windows version from the internet and then use the laptops OEM key during install.

You can so long as you don't reactivate Windows on your OLD pc ( i.e you don't use that PC again )' date=' Windows will always be assigned / registered to the PC you last registered it on and use.[/quote'] Hmm. I have registered literally 5 PC's on 1 code and disc and I haven't run into any problems with any of the PC's.
Tell us more? like was it OEM windows? and did it come with a Branded PC like HP or Sony because for me it just didnt work :( tried everything.. yeah you can call Microsoft up and lie to them but that isnt the right thing to do!!

The key I was using was from a Toshiba Satellite laptop, but the disk was purchased separately by my brother. I just entered the key when it told me to, then the nice computer man gave me an activation key every time!

You can just call microsoft and they'll give you an "Official Key" just explain you are changing out parts from an OEM machine.