PC Upgrade Suggestions

ChirsO

Hello linustechtips world :). I have this custom gaming rig and im looking to different upgrade suggestions like the mid range budegt, the high budget range, and maybe the ultra high budget rang. Making the High and Ultra high being a build changing to intel. This are my specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Six Cores 3.3 GHz

MotherBoard: Asus M5A99X Evo

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2GB

HardDrive: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB

PSU: Kentek 1050W

RAM: DDR3 3x4GB

Case: Cooler Master CM690 II

Monitor: ViewSonic  VX2450 24" Widescreen LED 

Im looking to add an SSD so id like to know which one would be good and im also thinking of making the big leap to add liquid cooling and maybe overclock.

i recommend either buying a new GPU (something like a 780ti, or if you dont have that much money to spend a 760-770) you slapping in another 650 in SLI, a 1050w PSU should be able to handle that no problem. If you want a new CPU, the best you can get is the 9000 series fx. if you were on intel the top on a 1150 mobo would be an i7 4790k, that would roflstomp the best amd has to offer.

As for ssd, that would be a great addition, boot times in under 10 secs, that awesome!, and say steam on an ssd will open in a flash. 

As for liquied cooling, if you just wanna liquid cool the cpu, you are looking into spwnding AT LEAST 800$, and if you also want to add the GPU, about 1000.

IN RECAP

Mid budget: slap in another 650 for SLI

High budget: change the cpu for a 9000 series, as well as another 650

Ultra: change to intel, get AT LEAST a i5 4690k, and an All-in-one Liquid cooler, as well as another 650, or a newer 780ti. (only reason to get titan is for bragging rights)

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

Since its for gaming, the first thing you should get is a new gpu and the last thing is liquid cooling.

Id say you get:

I5 4690k

Gtx 970/980 or r9 290/x

120-250gb samsung 840 evo

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

i recommend either buying a new GPU (something like a 780ti, or if you dont have that much money to spend a 760-770) you slapping in another 650 in SLI, a 1050w PSU should be able to handle that no problem. If you want a new CPU, the best you can get is the 9000 series fx. if you were on intel the top on a 1150 mobo would be an i7 4790k, that would roflstomp the best amd has to offer.

As for ssd, that would be a great addition, boot times in under 10 secs, that awesome!, and say steam on an ssd will open in a flash. 

As for liquied cooling, if you just wanna liquid cool the cpu, you are looking into spwnding AT LEAST 800$, and if you also want to add the GPU, about 1000.

IN RECAP

Mid budget: slap in another 650 for SLI

High budget: change the cpu for a 9000 series, as well as another 650

Ultra: change to intel, get AT LEAST a i5 4690k, and an All-in-one Liquid cooler, as well as another 650, or a newer 780ti. (only reason to get titan is for bragging rights)

I was planing on getting a 780TI, and if i change to intel which motherboard would be best to get for both the i5 and i7? About liquid Cooling im new to it so id like to be able to cool most of my things but i dont know if to do a full liquid cooling or just cpu

Since its for gaming, the first thing you should get is a new gpu and the last thing is liquid cooling.

Id say you get:

I5 4690k

Gtx 970/980 or r9 290/x

120-250gb samsung 840 evo

im also thinking of streaming thats why im thinking to make the switch over to intel

I was planing on getting a 780TI, and if i change to intel which motherboard would be best to get for both the i5 and i7? About liquid Cooling im new to it so id like to be able to cool most of my things but i dont know if to do a full liquid cooling or just cpu

As for the motherboard, any Z97 chipset one, will do you nice for right now and future upgrades, Water cooling the cpu is good, but All in one cooler like the cosair h100 are best, and cheap compared to you doing everything yourself. GPU doesnt really need liquid cooling, the stock nvidia cooler for the 780 is pretty good itself.

Edit: on custom water loops you need to drain and refill the water every 6 months, in all in one coolers you slap it in there and not worry about it again.

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

As for the motherboard, any Z97 chipset one, will do you nice for right now and future upgrades, Water cooling the cpu is good, but All in one cooler like the cosair h100 are best, and cheap compared to you doing everything yourself. GPU doesnt really need liquid cooling, the stock nvidia cooler for the 780 is pretty good itself.

Edit: on custom water loops you need to drain and refill the water every 6 months, in all in one coolers you slap it in there and not worry about it again.

So i should just liquid cool my cpu? and if im looking for a new case to have more air flow and more space? i all ways liked the corsair 900D 

Hmm...Depends on what you want to do.  For programming, facebook, email ect. an SSD would be a good fit.  The question is how you would like to have your memory setup.  If you want a small ssd for your OS and startup programs a 128gb SSD would be fine. But its much more convenient to all programs and files on ONE drive. So a larger SSD  is nice but will cost a lot more.

Liquid cooling, I believe, is somewhat of a gimmick. It will not yield better overclocking results then overclocking on air.  this is to say you have an adequate CPU cooler and don't mind a bit of white noise.  Liquid cooling is mainly for a quieter setup, and some cool looks. 

Personally, I would focus on the GTX 650..That could be replaced with something much better for 1080p gaming.  You can always buy another for very little money and do SLI, But I believe 1 powerful graphics card is significantly better then 2 or 3 mediocre ones...

If your eager to upgrade now I would go for a cpu liquid cooler plus an SSD.  If you have some patience, I would wait til Nvidia 900 GPUs drop. It may be a month or two but youll get DX12 with a 900GPU which will allow for your card to stay up to date for longer.

So i should just liquid cool my cpu? and if im looking for a new case to have more air flow and more space? i all ways liked the corsair 900D 

you only need a corsair 900d if you want to watercool EVERYTHING, and its even overkill for single gpu watercooling. the 900d is a real monster, SO MUCH OVERKILL YOU YOUR NEEDS. If you want to watercool everything, up to 2 GPUs in SLI/Crossfire a 750d will be plenty., and it looks the same exept this one is a bit smaller, and its still a ful tower case

Hmm...Depends on what you want to do.  For programming, facebook, email ect. an SSD would be a good fit.  The question is how you would like to have your memory setup.  If you want a small ssd for your OS and startup programs a 128gb SSD would be fine. But its much more convenient to all programs and files on ONE drive. So a larger SSD  is nice but will cost a lot more.

Liquid cooling, I believe, is somewhat of a gimmick. It will not yield better overclocking results then overclocking on air.  this is to say you have an adequate CPU cooler and don't mind a bit of white noise.  Liquid cooling is mainly for a quieter setup, and some cool looks. 

Personally, I would focus on the GTX 650..That could be replaced with something much better for 1080p gaming.  You can always buy another for very little money and do SLI, But I believe 1 powerful graphics card is significantly better then 2 or 3 mediocre ones...

If your eager to upgrade now I would go for a cpu liquid cooler plus an SSD.  If you have some patience, I would wait til Nvidia 900 GPUs drop. It may be a month or two but youll get DX12 with a 900GPU which will allow for your card to stay up to date for longer.

For my memory setup i was thinking of having my OS in the SSd and some games in it like Archeage, dark souls 2 which i have it with steam, and League of Legends but a friend told me not to put steam on it so i was hoping for someone to tell me what i could do about that.

For my memory setup i was thinking of having my OS in the SSd and some games in it like Archeage, dark souls 2 which i have it with steam, and League of Legends but a friend told me not to put steam on it so i was hoping for someone to tell me what i could do about that.

You can install steam to your HDD and then when you choose to install a game, steam will give you the option to create a new steam folder, so you can pick where you want to install the game to, AKA on your SSD.  I personally like having steam on my SSD because when I boot up, steam starts right away.  Then when I choose to install games I put them on my HDD as opposed to my SSD.  Some services do not allow this feature tho.  Im pretty sure origin installs games to whatever drive you install origin to automatically. not sure about  Uplay either. Also ive noticed programs like MS Office are just automatically installed to your C drive without any option.  Im sure there are work arounds but this is a problem with having a small SSD as your OS drive.

Id say get a amd fx-8350 and another stick of ram (for dual channel and 16gb total). Maybe get a graphics card.. And wait to swap motherboard/cpu for a year or so, until DDR4 comes down in price and gets more mainstream. No point upgrading too often imo.. And I think ddr4 ram/motherboard would be kind of expensive atm.

I wouldn't trust that Kentek power supply with a shiny new GPU and CPU.

I wouldn't trust that Kentek power supply with a shiny new GPU and CPU.

I know iv read some bad reviews thats why im planing on changing it

Well this is what i recaped. Im planing on building a pc for my lil bro so ill be passing on some of my current parts to him and ill be keeping most of the things like the rams, the hard drive, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and headset. i added everything for you guys can see and tell me what u think about the build.

this build is with i5:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wbFCCJ 

this build is with i7:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j3KnXL

pls say yes if u agree if u see something that i should change let me know

Well id like to thank all who have helped so this is what i decided to build this is how my PC would look when i get everything. Id also like to point out i want to have multiple monitors, maybe run games at 4K resolution, have a quite yet good performance build, have it for gaming and streaming live, and maybe overclock (so ill need help in selecting a new PSU from the list to be able to do OC)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9nnMXL