3570K @4.2Ghz with -ve offset of -0.070 volts on Maximus V formula

Have been a fan of Linus since a long time. Thought of posting the mods I have made in my PC. 

Specs: 

CPU: i5 3570K (delidded with AS5 applied)

MB: Asus Maximus V formula

RAM: 16GB Corsair 1333Mhz

GPU: R7 270

PSU: GIGABYTE 500 Watts

Cooler: H100i

SDD: Samsung Evo 120Gb

After a lot of trial and errors with overclocking and heat problems, the purpose came down to having a stable CPU at maximum frequency but at the lowest voltage and temperature possible. 

Had a difficult time adjusting the IHS after delidding and AS5 application due to its slippery nature. 

The temperature:

After 3-4 times of cleaning and refitting, it’s finally optimally set. I had read in several forums that not all 4 cores have the same temps. This was true in my case as well, wherein from the day I bought this CPU more than a year ago, the difference between the hottest and the coldest core was 10 degrees centigrade. Now that’s a lot. But after some trial and errors, the IHS, TIM and the cooler base are set so perfectly that all the 4 cores are reporting almost the same temps across on and off load. 30-32 degrees at idle and 62-65 degrees at full load. All of this with 0 noise from the case. This was what I was looking for. Same temps across and lower temps. 1st target achieved. 

The Overclocking and the power savings:

Had a lot of trial and errors as mentioned. I tried 4.5 GHz and 4.4 GHz both of which needed huge voltage bumps and emitted a lot of unnecessary heat. So went to 4.3 GHz at stock voltage, but still with unsatisfactory temps. Could not accept 70 degrees or higher and 130-140 Watts on regular/normal non-gaming use.  

So this time instead of keying in static voltage or +ve offsets I set it to "-ve" and entered 0.075. 

Tried booting with 4.3 Ghz and no success. So dialled the clock down to 4.2 Ghz and it worked. Ran prime for 2 hours and noticed 1 core was failing after an hour and 30 mins of prime. So changed the offset to -0.070 and re-started the tests. Purpose achieved! All stable at 4.2 GHz at low volts and less heat. Oh, and I had reduced the CPU PLL voltage to 1.55 volts from 1.80 volts.

Conclusion:

Idle volts and temps: 0.912 volts @ 30-32 Degrees centigrade

Full load prime test: 1.128 volts @ 62-65 Degrees Centigrade.

And the PC consumes a steady 100 Watts at normal usage (non-Gaming).

post-139476-0-60130700-1410709613.jpg

post-139476-0-67495100-1410709621.jpg

70C is really not bad at all for Ivy Bridge. When you start getting over 85C that's when you need to worry about temps. 4.3-4.4GHz overclock would have been fine. 

Oh Ok! The place I live is humid, so prioritized on minimizing the temps. Pretty impressive temps you got there on your setup.

Oh Ok! The place I live is humid, so prioritized on minimizing the temps. Pretty impressive temps you got there on your setup.

I understand, but 70C isn't really that big of a deal. Thank you, very high static pressure fans I got on my H100. They can get loud though.