Worse performance after GPU upgrade

Go to solution Solved by SkilledRebuilds,

Nvidia Experience set the resolution to 1366x768 144Hz...and I got 60Hz screen.

Grandma_-_What_is_this_i_don%27t_even.jp

Piss Poor Nvidia...Piss Poor :)

Glad your back to normal matey, Quadcore ftw.

Hey!

I have a huge problem:

I've just upgraded my GPU but I'm getting worse performance in games like Battlefield 3 and World Of Tanks...while in CoD:Ghosts I got better performance.

I've used a HD5750 for almost 5 years and now I've replaced it with a GTX 650ti BOOST. I've deleted every driver and downloaded the newest Nvidia one.

I used GeForce Experience to optimize my games. At Call Of Duty Ghosts it cranked up the settings from low/med to high and it works perfectly with 40FPS.

At Battlefield 3 and World Of Tanks it optimized them to ultra settings and ingame it's just unplayable. At WoT I set it to medium/high settings and it works nice with 30FPS. But Battlefield 3 just became unplayable. I get 18 average FPS at the "optimized" ultra settings and 23 at lowest settings. With the old GPU I could play on High/Medium settings with 40FPS now it's just unplayable. I was checking the temp it seemed normal 60-70 for the GPU and 60 for the CPU.
What can be the problem?

Spec: 
Mobo: Asrock M3A790GXH/128M
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 unlocked to X4
CPU Cooler: Alpine 64 Pro Rev. 2
RAM: 6GB DDR 3 1600MHz 
HDD: 500GB WDC WD5000AAKS-00A7B2

PSU: FPS Hexa 500
GPU: Inno3D Geforce GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB

I know the other parts are bit old,I'm planning to upgrade the rest a bit later (probably 8GB RAM,i3 4160)...

So what is the problem? Is the PSU too weak or CPU bottlenecks the GPU? If yes then why only in BF3?

i mean although its an "upgrade" the 650ti its kinda loses is horses in games today :c

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Only thing i could think of is defective GPU or a CPU Bottleneck

Nah, the GPU is just slow. It can't max games.

Only thing i could think of is defective GPU or a CPU Bottleneck

But if it's defective then why do I get improvements in other games?

i mean although its an "upgrade" the 650ti its kinda loses is horses in games today :c

Well that's what I could get for my money...even an R9 270 would have been to expensive.

Some games are "optimized" differently for the PC by developers *cough*ubisoft*cough* so when it comes to the low end or even mid tier hardware it's not as simple as "upgrade = instant performance increase". I would recommend keying in settings manually until you find your sweet spot depending on whether you want your games to look good or run at 60fps. I personally prioritize the latter.

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

Worse than a 5750? It should be on par or even better than the HD 7770 or 7790. 

But if it's defective then why do I get improvements in other games?

Well that's what I could get for my money...even an R9 270 would have been to expensive.

then what does that tell you to do... *saveeeeeeee*

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Worse than a 5750? It should be on par or even better than the HD 7770 or 7790. 

It is, I had a 7770, I know how bad it performs.

Save longer next time?

No offense but it looks like you swapped an old potato for a new one

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Some games are "optimized" differently for the PC by developers *cough*ubisoft*cough* so when it comes to the low end or even mid tier hardware it's not as simple as "upgrade = instant performance increase". I would recommend keying in settings manually until you find your sweet spot depending on whether you want your games to look good or run at 60fps. I personally prioritize the latter.

No offense but it looks like you swapped an old potato for a new one

Guys, hes playing at 1366 x 768, a 650ti boost should be able to push 60fps on battlefield 3 at that resolution, even at max settings.

Guys, hes playing at 1366 x 768, a 650ti boost should be able to push 60fps on battlefield 3 at that resolution, even at max settings.

welp, guess not...

To be honest...I'm 16 years old and the only money I could get was during summer. I could barely find some jobs to get some extra money. I still couldn't get enough so my parents told me that they'll pay the rest for X-Mas.

Well I wanted to go for an i5 and R9 270X combo because it seemed a really nice decision. But my parents told me that it will be too expensive...then i5 and gtx 750ti...still too expensive...they told me a low price and I've been spending hours of research and benchmark tests and comparisons etc. and as I saw the GTX 650ti Boost seemed a nice low budget upgrade...it's not the best but it seemed better than my current one...

I didn't want anything fancy just some upgrade for this 5-3 years old PC because I was struggling running any new game...

Maybe it was a bad decision...maybe I should have waited an other year (but that would make no sense using a PC for a year then going to uni where I can bring  a desktop)...

Still...I just want to know what's the problem. Is the game not optimized for the GPU...the CPU bottlenecks it???

welp, guess not...

Then wy are they gett ing 41 min 49 adverage at 1080p with max settings? http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/03/26/nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti-boost-2gb-review/3

Please dont bash peoples choices just because you have a better system, this guy has a legitamnet problem his card is not performing as it should.

Then wy are they gett ing 41 min 49 adverage at 1080p with max settings? http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/03/26/nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti-boost-2gb-review/3

Please dont bash peoples choices just because you have a better system, this guy has a legitamnet problem his card is not performing as it should.

well the universal solution to a broken product is an rma. so dont say im bashing someones choice when the dude just swapped out an old, weak card for another old and weak card...

Their test bench is using a 3570k @ 4.2ghz and 8gb of 2400mhz ram.

They literally have 0 bottlenecks on that 650ti. -_-

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

Their test bench is using a 3570k @ 4.2ghz and 8gb of 2400mhz ram.

They literally have 0 bottlenecks on that 650ti. -_-

That's what I was reffering to, it's likely that the card is bottlenecked by something not just 'the card just sucks' try diabiling the 2 cores you enabled to make it a quad core.

Is it possible that with an i3 4160 and MSI H97 Gaming 3 it will be better?

I would try updating the bios before that but it might be necessary.

Also try to download something like msi afterburner, look at gpu clock speed, utilization, heat and all that jaz while playing those games.

I have a 660 in my system right now.... i can max BF3 out at 60fps and i know that the 650ti boost isnt far behind the 660. There must be a bottleneck somewhere.

Also try to download something like msi afterburner, look at gpu clock speed, utilization, heat and all that jaz while playing those games.

I was using AIDA64 for that. I get 324MHz base clock speed when browsing and 1130 when playing. After 3 hours of playing I normally get 70°C GPU and 65°C CPU...but I'll try the Afterburner.