2gb vs 4gb graphics memory

Tomatodude95

I'm thinking about getting a 1440p monitor this summer. I will also be getting a new GPU, probably smth. around gtx 770. Do I need to get the 4gb @ 1440p or is 2gb enough?

I want to play games like Battlefield 3, Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, etc. at least at High settings.

4GB DDR5 would be recommend.

*Note* 2GB is enough to play games at 1440p 

2GB is good enough for 1440p resolution unless you're planning to crank up the AA.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Does not matter at this point, the 256 bit bus cant fill the 4gig anyway. The card itself will go out of juice before it fills the 4 gig. Although if you buy 1 card now and 1 card later down the road you will have a benefit.

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

Does not matter at this point, the 256 bit bus cant fill the 4gig anyway. The card itself will go out of juice before it fills the 4 gig. Although if you buy 1 card now and 1 card later down the road you will have a benefit.

Indeed, the memory bus is insufficient. I'd suggest a 7970ghz or a 780

2GB is good enough for 1440p resolution unless you're planning to crank up the AA.

I wouldn't count on that. I hit 2Gb with 1200p regularly.

I'd definitely recommend the 4Gb these days. It was only 1.5years ago when 1Gb was standard on the high end cards. Future proofs you a little bit.

For 1440p 2gb is enough but I would recommend 4gb for 'future proofing' and to be on the safe side.

Some games will use more then 2GB, some wont. Running a single card at that resolution isn't recommended, regardless of VRAM. If you are planning to run more then one card you'll need more then 2GB of VRAM since you'll being using higher graphical settings which in return uses more VRAM.

Get the card with the most VRAM now since its always better too have too much then to have too little.

With only a 256-bit memory bus, the GTX 770 wouldn't be able to fully make use of a 4GB VRAM.

Here's a comparison between a GTX 670 with 2GB and 4GB VRAM:
13_bat3.png

The GTX 770's greatly increased memory clock speed of 7010MHz may help to use more of it though than compared to the GTX 670 which only had 6000MHz.

I have a EVGA GTX 670 and when I run Bioshock Infinite at 1440p, EVGA Precision X sometimes records that I use up to 3.8GB of VRAM. 
Some games arent really agressive on the gpu core but really demand memory. Seems to me Bioshock is one of those games.

I have a EVGA GTX 670 and when I run Bioshock Infinite at 1440p, EVGA Precision X sometimes records that I use up to 3.8GB of VRAM.

Some games arent really agressive on the gpu core but really demand memory. Seems to me Bioshock is one of those games.

Seems odd it would use that much. Highest I've seen is around 2.4GB

The point here is soo wrong.  Yes the GTX 770 cannot utilize 4GB of Vram, but at 7000-8000(overclocked)MHz it has enough bandwidth to use probably 3-3.2GB, so granted it's not 4GB but it's more than 2GB.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM