Headphones Opposite

Go to solution Solved by rovor,

My first curiosity, you mentioned that "They don't do this on any other device.", I assume that you mean the headphones do not do this with other devices, and not that the audio channels are not backwards with any other devices, if that is the case, are the audio channels backwards on all devices, or just the headphones?

Also, have you tried using a different output... You did not mention where you have the headphones connected, is it the front panel audio, the line out, or is it some expansion bay that the audio is going through?

I can think of two solutions for this, and one potential problem causing it...

First one, somewhere in Windows there is an option to reverse audio channels, I am wondering if you do not have the channels reversed for the specific output your headphones are on...

Second one, if the above is not related/possible/the problem, then there is a hardware solution, simply purchase a 3.5mm to RCA adapter, and an RCA to 3.5mm adapter, plug one end into your audio output, then switch the white and red on the RCA adapters, so that the left channel goes into the right, and the right channel goes into the left, then plug your headphones into the female side... Pictures included for reference... I know you said an audio 'splitter' is not a solution, but I was not certain if you meant adapter instead of splitter...

Plug this connector into the output on your motherboard:
post-123430-0-39493000-1410705568.jpg

Then plug the RCA connectors from this connector into the other one, but swapping the white and red, then plug your headphones into the jack:
post-123430-0-91646000-1410705578.jpg

These adapters can be had at monoprice.com for very inexpensive. Alternatively, check Amazon and eBay...

The last thought I had, the problem... Is I am wondering if you have your headphones connected to your front panel... If this has always been an issue, it is possible that the audio channels were reversed during manufacture... It is not the most likely possibility, but I have seen stranger things happen...

Let me know if any of these sound plausible...

My headphones are playing the left channel in the right speaker and vice versa.

They don't do this on any other device.

Is there any software solution? (possibly an older version of realtek)

My headphones only fit one way and an audio splitter is not a solution for me.

All of my drivers are updated.

Thanks in advance for the help

Need some more info.

How are your headphones plugged in? (Mini-XLR, 1/4", etc)

Are you using an external DAC/AMP?

What is your motherboard model?

OP what brand and model # are your headphones?

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

My first curiosity, you mentioned that "They don't do this on any other device.", I assume that you mean the headphones do not do this with other devices, and not that the audio channels are not backwards with any other devices, if that is the case, are the audio channels backwards on all devices, or just the headphones?

Also, have you tried using a different output... You did not mention where you have the headphones connected, is it the front panel audio, the line out, or is it some expansion bay that the audio is going through?

First one, somewhere in Windows there is an option to reverse audio channels, I am wondering if you do not have the channels reversed for the specific output your headphones are on...

Second one, if the above is not related/possible/the problem, then there is a hardware solution, simply purchase a 3.5mm to RCA adapter, and an RCA to 3.5mm adapter, plug one end into your audio output, then switch the white and red on the RCA adapters, so that the left channel goes into the right, and the right channel goes into the left, then plug your headphones into the female side... Pictures included for reference... I know you said an audio 'splitter' is not a solution, but I was not certain if you meant adapter instead of splitter...

post-123430-0-39493000-1410705568.jpg

Then plug the RCA connectors from this connector into the other one, but swapping the white and red, then plug your headphones into the jack:
post-123430-0-91646000-1410705578.jpg

These adapters can be had at monoprice.com for very inexpensive. Alternatively, check Amazon and eBay...

The last thought I had, the problem... Is I am wondering if you have your headphones connected to your front panel... If this has always been an issue, it is possible that the audio channels were reversed during manufacture... It is not the most likely possibility, but I have seen stranger things happen...

attachicon.gifRCA female.jpg

attachicon.gifRCA male.jpg

Sorry for the lack of info. I'm a noob when it comes to forums. That adapter solution seems to work but with a slight drop in audio quality (not a huge deal). You said that there is somewhere in windows to swap audio channels. Where would that be? I have not been able to find it.

Mobo: Gigabyte Z87 OC (Realtek audio)

Hey, I just wanted to check back and see if you resolved the issue...

Everything seems to be working with the audio adapters. Thanks.

Fantastic, so you did end up going with the adapters... Glad to hear it!

My apologies, I somehow missed your previous post regarding them working... As for swapping them in software, I honestly can not recall where it is located, It may even be something I saw in the software for my audio device at some point, I can only suggest that you poke around in the audio settings to try and find it... Apologies for my lack of info on that... Sorry about the loss in quality.

My apologies, I somehow missed your previous post regarding them working... As for swapping them in software, I honestly can not recall where it is located, It may even be something I saw in the software for my audio device at some point, I can only suggest that you poke around in the audio settings to try and find it... Apologies for my lack of info on that... Sorry about the loss in quality.

No problem. I know every OS and Mobo are very different in terms of audio. I searched for days for a solution and this is the only one I got. You've been a huge help. Thanks again.

Yeah, it can be a pain sometimes when settings are hidden as deep as they can be, and not in the same place on all systems... :-( Regardless, glad that you found a solution that you can live with!