Asus Maximus V Formula On-board audio issue.

Bhups

So i've had the Maximus V formula for a while now and I've always had this issue with the loudness of audio coming from my headset. 

I bought the formula because it had the SupremeFX IV (built in soundcard thing) but Ive noticed that if i plug my Steelseries Siberia V2's into the front panel audio jack I get double the volume out of my headphones. There is no doubt the clarity of the sound when I have it plugged in at the back is much better, but its just not loud enough for my needs. Any ideas? 

At the moment I listen to music on full volume comfortably wishing it was louder :( 

If you have any ideas please let me know!

CM Cosmos 2 - I5 3570k @ 4.4ghz - Corsair H100 - ASUS Maximus V Formula - 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram - 128GB Intel SSD - 500gb Western Digital HDD - Saphire Radeon HD 6950 2gb (Flashed with HD6970 bios  + Arctic cooling acellero cooler) -  

bump

CM Cosmos 2 - I5 3570k @ 4.4ghz - Corsair H100 - ASUS Maximus V Formula - 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram - 128GB Intel SSD - 500gb Western Digital HDD - Saphire Radeon HD 6950 2gb (Flashed with HD6970 bios  + Arctic cooling acellero cooler) -  

http://rog.asus.com/131512012/maximus-v-motherboards/what-is-supremefx-iv/

From the "specs", it's using the "infamous" TI op-amp with the 10 Ohms output impedance (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slos431/slos431.pdf page 1) for that back output jack, probably implemented on a circuit with even less power output.  Yuck.  So you plug your low impedance headphones into the jack and the output impedance kills the power at your headphone's impedance load.  For more info, read nwavguy's links in the FAQ.

A FiiO E10 would more than fix this.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Sorry man, but you've really confused me, I need a second amp for the amp on the mobo?

I appreciate the help though!

so the onboard audio thing is worthless? 

I have a Maximus V Gene, and was also disappointed with the audio. I wont say that the on board audio is worthless in the sense that there's nothing that can make use of it, but it is useless in the sense of a good audio experience for headphones.

A cheap $30 Xonar soundcard is better than the stuff that comes with our motherboards, but the mobo itself is great for other reasons entirely so don't partake in any buyer's remorse!  -_-

I have a Maximus V Gene, and was also disappointed with the audio. I wont say that the on board audio is worthless in the sense that there's nothing that can make use of it, but it is useless in the sense of a good audio experience for headphones.

A cheap $30 Xonar soundcard is better than the stuff that comes with our motherboards, but the mobo itself is great for other reasons entirely so don't partake in any buyer's remorse!  -_-

Actually, I'd wager that a pair of higher impedance headphones would sound a bit louder.  Not too much, mind you.  The Realtek ALC892 audio chip is actually better in a lot of ways:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/ALC892-CG_DataSheet_1.3.pdf (page 82)

>2 Ohm output impedance

>very low crosstalk

>very low THD

>93 db SNR on the headphone output.  It's more than respectable.

the only thing not really up to snuff is the output at 32 Ohms is only 1.1vrms.  Although it would be very sufficient for headphones that are easy to drive like yours.

The response I got last time is in my signature, but 90% of the time, a basic onboard audio chip is better than a soundcard.  You're the 10% unfortunately since your board has one of the soundcard op-amps built in.

Sorry man, but you've really confused me, I need a second amp for the amp on the mobo?

I appreciate the help though!

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/09/more-power.html

Here, read thoroughly.  Your need an alternative sound card entirely.  We usually recommend usb options since they are simple, easy to set up, and usually have the best specs overall.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Actually, I'd wager that a pair of higher impedance headphones would sound a bit louder. Not too much, mind you. The Realtek ALC892 audio chip is actually better in a lot of ways:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/ALC892-CG_DataSheet_1.3.pdf (page 82)

>2 Ohm output impedance

>very low crosstalk

>very low THD

>93 db SNR on the headphone output. It's more than respectable.

the only thing not really up to snuff is the output at 32 Ohms is only 1.1vrms. Although it would be very sufficient for headphones that are easy to drive like yours.

The response I got last time is in my signature, but 90% of the time, a basic onboard audio chip is better than a soundcard. You're the 10% unfortunately since your board has one of the soundcard op-amps built in.

It's like you're speaking a different language...

"A basic onboard audio chip is better than soundcards 90% of the time" in what way, and how is the "upgraded" onboard audio of our boards worse than a realtek chip?

And doesn't a higher impedance mean you need more power, thus making them "quieter" than other headphones?

It's like you're speaking a different language...

"A basic onboard audio chip is better than soundcards 90% of the time" in what way, and how is the "upgraded" onboard audio of our boards worse than a realtek chip?

And doesn't a higher impedance mean you need more power, thus making them "quieter" than other headphones?

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-impedance-explained.html

check out the tech section of this article

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-impedance-explained.html

check out the tech section of this article

Ok so after reading that, I can safely say I was never confused about impedance, but when you said "I'd wager that a pair of higher impedance headphones would sound a bit louder." I got confused because that is exactly the opposite of what the article says:

WHY IMPEDANCE MATTERS: Headphone sources generally put out very different amounts of power into different headphone impedances. For example the Clip+ portable player can put out 16 mW into 16 ohms but only 0.8 mW into 300 ohms. The FiiO E7 can put out over 100 mW into 16 ohms but only 2.8 mW into 600 ohms. And some sources are not as compatible with low impedances such as the Mini3 and FiiO E9.

So, the higher the impedance, to less volume you will get when an amp tries to power the headphones.

And back to the ASUS mobo with the "upgraded" sound - I was using V-moda's Crossfade LP1s (witch I presume have an impedance of 32-ohms, correct me if wrong) and the volume was despicable, though the clarity was vastly improved over other mobo sound I've heard. I've no doubt the realtek cheap on most boards produces adequate volume for headphones, but I also doubt the same level of clarity is built in so there's a give and take. I doubt ASUS spent much more on their "improved" on board sound than standard on board sound, thought the LEDs are cool in my book.