Balls to the walls 4K setup for Excel?

MrBrownSound
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

The thought of going TN even for him sounds dirty. My uncles a weird guy that likes to watch movies in his office on his downtimes, so I think IPS would be best, not to mention that he might go three way monitors, which may mess up the viewing angles of the TN monitors.

Having a non pro art color calibrated 4k or 4k/UHD monitor that doesn't have any glaring color weirdness/lag, is what I'm looking for.

He might get three of them, so getting IPS is important (viewing angles.) 

Because he might drop a few grand for three monitors, I don't want to give advise that would be bad. So I was thinking to recommend my 30" latest model Dell Ultrsharp, but buying 2560x1600 now, when 4k is out there, seems like a wrong move, especially because prices aren't crazy different from the 2560x1600 vs 4k cheap monitors, and because more pixels = more productivity for Excel people like my uncle.

And the setup he has now is three old 24" 60Hertz Dell cheap IPS monitors. So I mean even the cheap 4k monitors that have trade offs will be a significant upgrade for him right?

As it is now, I might recommend:

• Linus's favorite LG 34UM95 34" UltraWide Widescreen 21:9 Monitor
  • Dell Ultrasharp 2560x1600

Unless you guys have any sure fire (non-proart) IPS 4k or 4k UHD monitor suggestions that don't have any huge glaring defects, such as insane lag, 30fps lock, or really bad color. Remember he's on 24" dell IPS cheapo screens

There aren't any IPS 4K monitors that aren't calibrated pro monitors, see what I mean? :P The only IPS ones are the $2000-3000 31.5" monitors from Dell and ASUS/SHARP, and the Dell UP2414Q (24" 4K IPS) which I don't think will help because you won't be able to see anything since it will be so tiny, you will have to scale everything up which defeats the purpose of 4K.  The rest are all 28" TN.  I think the best move would be to wait a few months and see what else gets released down the line, but I don't know if it's important to get them sooner rather than later.  PB279Q looks like it may be a good option when it's released. Also, I hope he has a graphics card with at least 3 DisplayPort outputs :P

My uncle is the owner of a real estate/building type of of business. He saw my 30" dell ultrasharp 2560x1600 monitor and decided to setup 3 monitors that size in his office. He likes the pixel density that the high resolution provides. His first response when I showed him my monitor was, show me an excel doc on that. If he likes the density of 2560x1600, he'll probably like 4k better. Which 4k monitor should I recommend to him? 

Or mabye you would reccomend to stay on the 2560x1600 bandwagon?

If it serves his productivity he won't mind spending a lot, but let's keep it realistic, a $7000 color corrected 4k display is overkill for excel spreadsheets.

I also don't want it to be noticeably horrible color production, or intense lag. My uncles a weird guy that likes to watch movies in his office on his downtimes, so I think IPS would be best, not to mention that he might go three way monitors.

I'm hoping somebody has experience with 4k monitors that can guide me on which monitor to recommend.

I plan on taking the link to the 4k monitor I choose along with the wide wide LG screen linus seems to love, and ask him which he would like best.

I originally bought my 2560x1600 Dell Ultrasharp for $1500 after tax, and warranty, I think they are closer to $1200 each now, which I told to my uncle. He responded with an old person "How much!," like parents react when they find out tshirts are $30 bucks now. Then he responded with, "Yeah I need to get three of them."

For Excel, a regular 16:9 monitor. And just to set the facts right, 2560X1600 is not 4K. 3160x2100 is 4K. 2560x1600 is just 1600P.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

linus lg

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

There aren't many good 4K options right now to be honest.  They're either TN to keep cost down (and all of those are 28", so the big increase in pixel density will make things a lot tinier) or super pro IPS monitors with 10-bit color support and factory color calibration.  Nothing in between at the moment.  However, the 30" 2560x1600 monitors are a pretty low volume item so the pricing isn't very competitive.  I think Dell's 31.5" 4K IPS isn't that much more expensive if you were planning to get another 2560x1600 one (EDIT: Never mind, it's $1000 more for the 4K one, lol.  Sticking with 2560x1600 with the U3014 might be a good option, 2560x1600 is a nice resolution.  Or you could wait around a while and see if any better 4K options become available).

For Excel, a regular 16:9 monitor. And just to set the facts right, 2560X1600 is not 4K. 3160x2100 is 4K. 2560x1600 is just 1600P.

He said he'll probably like 4K better since he already liked 1600P, and 4k is 4096x2160, with UHD being 3840x2160.

ASUS PB287Q 28-Inch Screen LED-Lit 4K Monitor is 4K albiet TN, that should work for him, and i last semester took a class in office 2013 . . . .

The thought of going TN even for him sounds dirty. My uncles a weird guy that likes to watch movies in his office on his downtimes, so I think IPS would be best, not to mention that he might go three way monitors, which may mess up the viewing angles of the TN monitors.

There aren't many good 4K options right now to be honest.  They're either TN to keep cost down (and all of those are 28", so the big increase in pixel density will make things a lot tinier) or super pro IPS monitors with 10-bit color support and factory color calibration.  Nothing in between at the moment.  However, the 30" 2560x1600 monitors are a pretty low volume item so the pricing isn't very competitive.  I think Dell's 31.5" 4K IPS isn't that much more expensive if you were planning to get another 2560x1600 one (EDIT: Never mind, it's $1000 more for the 4K one, lol.  Sticking with 2560x1600 with the U3014 might be a good option, 2560x1600 is a nice resolution.  Or you could wait around a while and see if any better 4K options become available).

Having a non pro art color calibrated 4k or 4k/UHD monitor that doesn't have any glaring color weirdness/lag, is what I'm looking for.

Because he might drop a few grand for three monitors, I don't want to give advise that would be bad. So I was thinking to recommend my 30" latest model Dell Ultrsharp, but buying 2560x1600 now, when 4k is out there, seems like a wrong move, especially because prices aren't crazy different from the 2560x1600 vs 4k cheap monitors, and because more pixels = more productivity for Excel people like my uncle.

And the setup he has now is three old 24" 60Hertz Dell cheap IPS monitors. So I mean even the cheap 4k monitors that have trade offs will be a significant upgrade for him right?

Unless you guys have any sure fire (non-proart) IPS 4k or 4k UHD monitor suggestions that don't have any huge glaring defects, such as insane lag, 30fps lock, or really bad color. Remember he's on 24" dell IPS cheapo screens

Asus is suppodley coming out with a IPS 4k monitor sometime by the end of the year - PB279q if I recall the model correctly, though it's around $1000.

wow yea, this seems to look like a Gen 2.0 version of the cheap 4k screens for the masses that we are seeing around now. Less compromises with a slightly higher 1000 dollar price tag. I don't know when this will come out, but it's the kind of thing that makes me want to wait before buying.

There aren't any IPS 4K monitors that aren't calibrated pro monitors, see what I mean? :P The only IPS ones are the $2000-3000 31.5" monitors from Dell and ASUS/SHARP, and the Dell UP2414Q (24" 4K IPS) which I don't think will help because you won't be able to see anything since it will be so tiny, you will have to scale everything up which defeats the purpose of 4K.  The rest are all 28" TN.  I think the best move would be to wait a few months and see what else gets released down the line, but I don't know if it's important to get them sooner rather than later.  PB279Q looks like it may be a good option when it's released. Also, I hope he has a graphics card with at least 3 DisplayPort outputs :P

Lol, yeah I understand now. Guess the better priced, for the masses IPS 4k displays are maybe a few months to a year out, at least. 

I guess I will stick to advising my uncle to look at either the 1600p, that weird LG panel, or wait for more budget 4k IPS screens later this year, or Q1 next year.

Thanks for all the input, it really helped.