What would you do

chingyg

Yo~

Imagine this. Suppose you are a super poor person, and you can only afford a water block for either a CPU or GPU, but not both. In addition, your crummy buget can only afford you enough tubing and fittings for a loop that contains either the CPU or GPU. Again, not both. We can assume you already have the pump,res, and radiator.

Choice of CPUs (pick one)

i5 3570K
8350FX

Choice of GPUs (pick one)

GTX 670

Radeon 7950

Not allowed:

- Saving up enough money for both

- Going air cooled route instead

Your answer:

- First pick one CPU and GPU from the choices.
- Of the two components you've picked, which one would you water cool and why?

- Example: "I pick i5 3570K and Radeon 7950, and I would choose to water cool the GPU because I mine crypto currency."

Other comments:

- I tried picking mid-high range components.

- Intel has come out with 1-2 iterations of their core series while amd is still sitting on the same architecture. I'd rather pick CPUs that came out from roughly the same time.
- I'm doing this purely for fun.

3570K and 7950, watercool the CPU because you will get the most out of your loop, the 7950 is still a solid card and the i5 outperforms the FX8350 in games (I believe) 

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

I would choose the 3570k.(performs better)
On the gpu side i would go with a Gtx 670.(is a better card by far)
And would watercool the cpu.
Because Gpu's can handle oveclocking with the stock cooler.
But the Cpu's get much hotter after overclocking.(and i assume that u r going to overclock the cpu)

I'd pick the 3570k of course and pair it with the 670.

I'd watercool the CPU because who cares about GPU overclocking?All the hype and bragging rights is on CPU.

Also,CPU when overclocked produces a massive amount of heat so it is more efficient to put the CPU under the loop.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

3570k and 7950

As for watercooling... It really depends on which 7950 we're talking about. If it's a decent cooler, you'll have nice temps and might even overclock a bit, whereas with the CPU, you can't overclock at all with the stock cooler.