Overclock a 1600MHZ CORSAIR XMS3

Go to solution Solved by itroitnyah,

There's software called memtest86: http://www.memtest86.com/

It's confusing at first, but simple to use. It works a lot like an operating system. Just find a spare flashdrive or CD, turn the one of your choice into a bootable unit, and then turn off your computer. With the unit in your computer, turn it on and spam F8 or something, until you can choose a boot device. boot from the device that you loaded memtest86 onto, and it will bring you to the main screen. Just run one pass. That should detect any problems with stability. If you want to do a full stability/quality test to ensure there aren't any problems with your RAM, especially after an overclock, running 7 passes overnight will do a good job of catching just about any problems.

EDIT: I should also point out that I looked at the Corsair product page for the RAM, and some sets of XMS3 RAM have data for overclocks, and others don't. I'm not sure if this is just a problem with Corsair not keeping their technical data accurate, or if only certain sets of XMS3 RAM can be overclocked (which wouldn't make sense to me), but it's just something to keep in mind.

At 1.65V you should be able to get at least 2000MHz, although you should be able to get higher. Just be sure to check the stability of the RAM at the speed and voltages. 

I don't recommend overclocking RAM. The performance gains are so small that it won't make a difference whether you OC it or not.

However, if you insist on OCing it, use memtest86 to test stability.

Also, I'd just like to politely point out that it isn't necessary to make your post in red font, as it violates the LTT CoC.

• Excessive use of different fonts / font colors for non post formatting purposes will result in moderative action.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

I don't recommend overclocking RAM. The performance gains are so small that it won't make a difference whether you OC it or not.

However, if you insist on OCing it, use memtest86 to test stability.

Also, I'd just like to politely point out that it isn't necessary to make your post in red font, as it violates the LTT CoC.

Sorry didn't know that ill change the color. But thanks for the answer 

At 1.65V you should be able to get at least 2000MHz, although you should be able to get higher. Just be sure to check the stability of the RAM at the speed and voltages. 

How do i check stability? i never understood how to do it

It's confusing at first, but simple to use. It works a lot like an operating system. Just find a spare flashdrive or CD, turn the one of your choice into a bootable unit, and then turn off your computer. With the unit in your computer, turn it on and spam F8 or something, until you can choose a boot device. boot from the device that you loaded memtest86 onto, and it will bring you to the main screen. Just run one pass. That should detect any problems with stability. If you want to do a full stability/quality test to ensure there aren't any problems with your RAM, especially after an overclock, running 7 passes overnight will do a good job of catching just about any problems.

EDIT: I should also point out that I looked at the Corsair product page for the RAM, and some sets of XMS3 RAM have data for overclocks, and others don't. I'm not sure if this is just a problem with Corsair not keeping their technical data accurate, or if only certain sets of XMS3 RAM can be overclocked (which wouldn't make sense to me), but it's just something to keep in mind.

Thanks a lot :D really thank you!!!!!!!!