Need Case Suggestions!

JMaio
Go to solution Solved by Elbstrand,

I know the difference between laptops and cases :P If I were to get an ITX size case, and I later wanted to get another GPU for SLI or CrossFire, I would be limited by not only the case not supporting it, but also the motherboard not supporting it, and I don't want to have to buy another case if I could get one now to last me quite a long time, and possibly even house another whole set of different components in a future build. In a nutshell, future-proofing.

I always say that to myself, but in the end i get a whole new system or atleast just replace my graphicscard instead of SLI/CrossFire... :D

Well you could still get Micro ATX, something like the "Asus RoG Maximus V Gene" should support SLI @ M-ATX and then you could use something like the Corsair 350D which is pretty awesome and quite small and not that heavy.

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a case for an upcoming Gaming/Editing rig.

The prerequisites for the case would be:

• Sturdy, not too heavy
  • ATX motherboard compatibility
  • Front USB 3.0 (connecting directly to the motherboard, not the back I/O)
  • Easy (preferrably toolless) HDD/SSD/DVD drive installation (I don't plan on changing things too much, but I'd rather not have to bring out the whole arsenal when a drive needs to be moved)
  • Cable management (I'm OCD)
  • Good airflow
  • Small - Medium form factor

Optional:

• Water cooling options
  • Lighting
  • Window(s): physical, not the OS  ;)
  • Multiple 5 1/4" expansion bays, only one is necessary

If you have any recommendations, please post!

This is all, thanks for reading,

-JMaio

Fractal Arc Midi R2!

It has great airflow, has a window, good cable management, lots of space for radiators, usb 3, pretty much what you need

Also the hard drive cages  are modular, so you can move them around or split them up if you like.

Corsair 350D.

What price point are you looking for?

Edit: Sorry it's M-ATX. Would that be okay too? Do you really need full atx?

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

You can get the Corsair 300R with a window if you are on a budget. It has great water and air cooling support, 3 toolless DVD bays, great cable management, front USB 3.0 and  you can add some LED fans for lighting.

MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3) | Core i7 2700K @ 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB @ stock

8GB G.Skill RipjawsZ 2133MHz | OCZ Agility 3 60GB | 3x500GB RAID 5 | DVD-RW

Xclio Nighthawk | OCZ ModX Stream Pro 700W | CM Hyper 212 EVO with Corsair SP120s push/pull

I will recommend something different from everyone. I use this case for my gaming rig.

CHECK DIS OUT!

Linus has done a

about it.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

I would go either the Corsair 400R or the 600T.

The 400R is has better cable management, but doesn't have a window like the 300R. The C70 is also a great case.

Xclio Nighthawk | OCZ ModX Stream Pro 700W | CM Hyper 212 EVO with Corsair SP120s push/pull

Well he did say a windows was optional.

Yeah depends how optional ;)

Fractal Arc Midi R2!

It has great airflow, has a window, good cable management, lots of space for radiators, usb 3, pretty much what you need

Also the hard drive cages  are modular, so you can move them around or split them up if you like.

No front USB :/

It does look like a nice option though... :)

Corsair 350D.

What price point are you looking for?

Edit: Sorry it's M-ATX. Would that be okay too? Do you really need full atx?

I had already looked at the 350D (actually made another post about it), but I am not quite sure how expandable it will be if I get an mATX board...

If I find an interesting motherboard to go with it, I might get the 350D :)

No front USB :/

It does look like a nice option though... :)

Just checked their website - It actually does! http://fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2∏=113 down in the "Front Interface" section. I think the Arc Mini (the mATX version) is the one without USB 3 - either way i still condone that case haha

Corsiar 650D

Feels like overkill :/

Plus, my budget probably wouldn't be enough for that case...

You can get the Corsair 300R with a window if you are on a budget. It has great water and air cooling support, 3 toolless DVD bays, great cable management, front USB 3.0 and  you can add some LED fans for lighting.

Indeed looks like a really good case!

I'll add it to my list :)

I would go either the Corsair 400R or the 600T.

Might consider the 400R :) , but the 600T has unnecessary features, as well as a hefty price tag :/

I will recommend something different from everyone. I use this case for my gaming rig.

CHECK DIS OUT!

Linus has done a

about it.

I feel like it would be out of place. Don't get me wrong, it looks amazing, but I think I'd prefer something a bit more minimalistic :)

Cooler Master Storm Scout

Hmm... looks good, but a bit too aggressive for my liking... :/

Fractal Design Define R4 is very minimalistic and has great internals. A little more expensive than the 300R I suggested before, but perhaps worth the money if you like it.

Again there is a windowed version available

Just checked their website - It actually does! http://fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2∏=113 down in the "Front Interface" section. I think the Arc Mini (the mATX version) is the one without USB 3 - either way i still condone that case haha

Oh, wow, I can't believe I missed it, I'm so used to seeing the I/O on the front that I disregarded the top  :P

It does have a lot of storage cages, though, and it is not as attractive as others, price-wise. Thanks, still!  :D  

Fractal Design Define R4 is very minimalistic and has great internals. A little more expensive than the 300R I suggested before, but perhaps worth the money if you like it.

I think I prefer the 300R, though. I need to look into it with the component list in mind. Thank you!  :D

I feel like it would be out of place. Don't get me wrong, it looks amazing, but I think I'd prefer something a bit more minimalistic :)

Then get a Fractal R4. 

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

Then get a Fractal R4. 

Might consider it, but it will be lower on my priority list...