Hackintosh Help

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with an intel core 2 duo, 3 gb of ram, Dell Wireless 1395 Wlan Mini Card, Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller.  I wanna run Mac, at least snow leopard, on it.  I'm pretty sure use a virtual machine then create an iso and then put that on the hdd, but im not really to sure what to do.  also let me know what other specs you need.

Thanks

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with an intel core 2 duo, 3 gb of ram, Dell Wireless 1395 Wlan Mini Card, Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller.  I wanna run Mac, at least snow leopard, on it.  I'm pretty sure use a virtual machine then create an iso and then put that on the hdd, but im not really to sure what to do.  also let me know what other specs you need.

Thanks

Never built a Hackintosh but I have looked vaguely in to them.

There is a website somewhere (I'll try to find it), where they test out OS X on different machines and post a report on them. If you are serious about running Mac on any machine other than the ones Apple make, the only real solution is to build a machine as close to a Mac as possible, again that website had a list of the parts of the best compatibility.

As far as pre-built machines go, they seemed to be very hit and miss and generally not worth the effort. When I looked in to it 2-3 years back a lot of people had machines that were reported for it to work fine on and then it bricked their laptop. If they did manage to get it to work they stability issues and performance issues.

Obviously this may have changed, but unless there is a be-all-and-end-all reason that you must use OS X, my advice would be stay away from it, certainly if it's your main PC. 

[EDIT]

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Wasn't too hard to find as it turns out :P. As you can see from the compatible machines, they very rarely run everything perfectly.

If you're fed up of Windows, install Linux (I use Ubuntu and have used Xubuntu, both are very nice). Or buy a Mac unfortunately. Let Apple win this one. :-)

Never built a Hackintosh but I have looked vaguely in to them.

There is a website somewhere (I'll try to find it), where they test out OS X on different machines and post a report on them. If you are serious about running Mac on any machine other than the ones Apple make, the only real solution is to build a machine as close to a Mac as possible, again that website had a list of the parts of the best compatibility.

As far as pre-built machines go, they seemed to be very hit and miss and generally not worth the effort. When I looked in to it 2-3 years back a lot of people had machines that were reported for it to work fine on and then it bricked their laptop. If they did manage to get it to work they stability issues and performance issues.

Obviously this may have changed, but unless there is a be-all-and-end-all reason that you must use OS X, my advice would be stay away from it, certainly if it's your main PC. 

[EDIT]

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Wasn't too hard to find as it turns out :P. As you can see from the compatible machines, they very rarely run everything perfectly.

If you're fed up of Windows, install Linux (I use Ubuntu and have used Xubuntu, both are very nice). Or buy a Mac unfortunately. Let Apple win this one. :-)

Hey, Thank you so much.  I am in the processing of trying what the website told me to do.  it had my exact laptop model so i am pretty confident it will work, ill let you know :)

ahh, i would ditch the whole idea, its gets really complicated without the reward, if some of ur harware is incompatiable it simply wont work.

I built a hackintosh (desktop) for my friend from the ground up and you have to research every component to assure it works and functions properly. but it was one hell of a dual boot machiene, osx on SSD Win 7 HDD

6zah4n.png

heres the HW: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=29894928

oh and like someone mentioned try linux mint i miss it

I say this because, I had a very bad Gypsie attack...they stole my wife, plow... and they touch my horse in a very bad way... he got very depressed.

Hey, Thank you so much. I am in the processing of trying what the website told me to do. it had my exact laptop model so i am pretty confident it will work, ill let you know :)

Very good luck my friend :). Update this post with how you do I'd be interested to know how you get on. Word of advice, read more than just one guide. There's plenty online and in YouTube.

I recently built a hackintosh but unfortunately for you, mine is based on a sandy bridge i7 and apparently it is reasonably straightforward on that platform for most main brand motherboards. You may have trouble on a dell motherboard. Maybe not though, I have no idea really. Best way to find out is to just try it.

What you have to do is use a VM with OSX (or a real OSX machine) to create a bootable USB stick (I needed an 8GB usb stick as OS was 6GB). To do this you have to reformat and mount the OS to the USB stick and then make some changes with the OS on the stick. You have to add a bootloader and probably replace some files. I used OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 so I can't comment on what 10.7 is like. Your hardware will probably suit 10.7 better but do some research to find out for sure. I think tonymacx86 lists hardware by the OS version so look up 10.7 and see if the core2 CPUs are supported.

Also I had some trouble using OSX on a VM. It installed fine but ran horribly slowly while actually using it, and I gave the VM 4 cores and 4GB of ram. I was always stumped why it ran so poorly. It constantly crashed on me so I had to try numerous times to actually make the bootable usb stick.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

ahh, i would ditch the whole idea, its gets really complicated without the reward, if some of ur harware is incompatiable it simply wont work.

I built a hackintosh (desktop) for my friend from the ground up and you have to research every component to assure it works and functions properly. but it was one hell of a dual boot machiene, osx on SSD Win 7 HDD

6zah4n.png

heres the HW: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=29894928

oh and like someone mentioned try linux mint i miss it

thanks,

im buildinga  hackintosh for my brother when the holidays come around, could i message you if i need any help, u seem to know what ur doing seeing as you built a hackintosh urself.  i have a part list id like to run by you, here it is

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/littlepigboy5/saved/9cfxFT

thanks,

im buildinga  hackintosh for my brother when the holidays come around, could i message you if i need any help, u seem to know what ur doing seeing as you built a hackintosh urself.  i have a part list id like to run by you, here it is

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/littlepigboy5/saved/9cfxFT

As far as I am aware, Gigabyte boards are really well supported. It looks good but that is only taking a quick glance. Still do your research.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Yea good start, GA boards are perfect for Hackintosh.

I would register over at tonymacx86 (sorry if this is breaking a rule) and ask ur arse off. How i got the PC up perfectly.

but yea feel free to contact me

I say this because, I had a very bad Gypsie attack...they stole my wife, plow... and they touch my horse in a very bad way... he got very depressed.