Wii U Pro Controller for PC

skywake

So this post is part review, part Nintendo fanboy, part PC gaming. Take it however you want I guess.....

Pro Controller in general:

Let me start out by pointing out that I am a pretty big fan of the Wii U and Nintendo in general. So when I say that I think the Wii U Pro Controller is the best controller ever made I'm saying it in that context. Still, I think I have a case for saying that. It's got an amazing battery life, is light, has nice rumble and a D-Pad that could only be made by Nintendo. I know that some people write it off immediately because the sticks are both on the top but I've never really seen what the fuss was. The D-Pad and face buttons are still easy to reach and for a lot of modern games that are all stick and trigger? It makes sense to have the sticks front and centre and if-not both at least the left one. All in all a great controller.... with two drawbacks. Getting it to work on PC is a pain and it's glossy

MayFlash Adapter:

Eventually, annoyed with having this awesome controller and only being able to use it for Mario Kart and the Wonderful 101 I went and ordered a MayFlash adapter. Thing arrives, I plug it in and it works first time 100%. Put it into XInput mode and your PC thinks it's a 360 controller but you still have the Nintendo layout which for people used to it is a positive because X is the button up the top. The adapter itself is kinda cheap looking but who cares as long as it works. If you have a Wii U Pro Controller do yourself a favour and grab one of these.

tl;dr

Pro controller is fantastic, if you're looking at the Wii U do yourself a favour and get this controller. If you do get one get the Mayflash adapter for PC because this thing is better than the previous PC-gaming controller king, the 360, and the Mayflash adapter works very well. It's quite literally a 360 controller with a good D-Pad

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I have one for mario kart and smah bros. I might get the mayflash adapter

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Does it only support the wii pro controller?

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

Does it only support the wii pro controller?

Well I haven't tested it with every controller under the sun so I couldn't say for sure. But when I tryed to sync one of the newever versions of the WiiMote it didn't sync at all. Not really a drawback IMO, the thing is specifically for Wii U Pro controllers.

This is nice! but i already use the Ps4 controller. Bluetooth ftw! 

But i might consider it because Ps4 support is Meh right now...but it works.

And i dont want a Xbox Adapter dongle thingy.

Well the Pro does use bluetooth but it's still a pain. For Windows you need a specific kind of Bluetooth adapter and then you need to play around with a bunch of dodgy drivers. I couldn't get it going so I gave up. I believe on Linux there is support for it but even that's pretty janky and I couldn't get it to sync. There's better support for some of the Wii controllers on Linux and I got them working on some emulators but even that's a pain because Steam likes to read controller input in a particular way. Lets face it, the only reason you'd want a controller working on Linux is for Steam in-home streaming.

This adapter was $15 and was just plug and play out of the box with 360-controller level support. Because it makes it look like a 360 controller.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing