Computer doesn't work after clearing cmos

Go to solution Solved by soup,

Sounds like one of two possibilities, bad PSU os bad MoBo.

See if a "known good" power supply rectifies the situation in which case you know the PSU is probably at fault.

If the PSU looks good then it is (probably) new MoBo time, can't see any (financial) sense in trying to repair it.

Unless the fix is really easy and you know what you are doing, I wouldn't try to fix the PSU either.

system:

gigabyte z97x ud5h

i5 4690k

2x4gb ram

seasonic g550

h100i

samsung ssd

toshiba hdd

asus monitor

when switching psu on:

case led turns on in addition to mobo power led

after pressing power:

h100i turns on

sys_fan 1 does not turn on, others do

hdd turns on

mobo debug leds never turn on

the two bios leds alternate about every 5 seconds

power/reset buttons on case and mobo do not work; must restart using psu switch

monitor never detects signal

attempted to far:

removed mobo battery for a minute

removed one stick of ram

Pull the power cable out, press a couple times on the power button, and put the cable back in. Maybe that will work

Everything that's in my PC and on my desk

Intel Core i5 4670K | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 770 Gaming 2GB | Corsair Obsidian 450D | Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD | Toshiba 1TB HDD | Corsair CX750M  | Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH Edition | NZXT Hue RGB Leds | 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition | Corsair AF120 Performance Edition | Nanoxia Frontpanel Extension Red | AOC G2770PQU | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate MX Brown | Corsair Vengeance M65 FPS | Corsair Vengeance 1500

Sounds like one of two possibilities, bad PSU os bad MoBo.

See if a "known good" power supply rectifies the situation in which case you know the PSU is probably at fault.

If the PSU looks good then it is (probably) new MoBo time, can't see any (financial) sense in trying to repair it.

Unless the fix is really easy and you know what you are doing, I wouldn't try to fix the PSU either.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Ooops, quote instaed of edit, Mods pls remove.

"This too shall pass"

playing with the cable didnt work

I don't have any spare parts to test with and I just bought all the parts within the past two weeks

playing with the cable didnt work

I don't have any spare parts to test with and I just bought all the parts within the past two weeks

How did you clear CMOS the first time?

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

No friends you could borrow one from?

Do you have a Maplins or similar near hand? May be worth "buying" one from them testing your system then returning the PSU for a no-quibble refund (if asked say something like "mum/GF had already got me one").

Once you know what is at fault try the RMA route (as the stuff is only a fortnight old).

"This too shall pass"

turned it off and pressed the cmos button

Do it again and post quote me when you reply

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Do it again and post quote me when you reply

It at least turns on now, but its back to my first post except that the case led isn't working now.

Always turn off your computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet before using
the clear CMOS button.

Do not use the clear CMOS button when the system is on, or the system may shutdown and
data loss or damage may occur.

From the manual.

It at least turns on now, but its back to my first post except that the case led isn't working now.

Try the BIOS switch, it's next to the CMOS switch

No friends you could borrow one from?

Do you have a Maplins or similar near hand? May be worth "buying" one from them testing your system then returning the PSU for a no-quibble refund (if asked say something like "mum/GF had already got me one").

Once you know what is at fault try the RMA route (as the stuff is only a fortnight old).

I may be able to barrow some.

No Maplins; is Microcenter similar?

Its back to not turning on at all

Got it to turn on and switched the bios and there's no change

Got it to turn on and switched the bios and there's no change

Have you been clearing the CMOS without the power connected? Try leaving the board off with no power cable for 1 - 2 min and then reset the CMOS (with no power cable), are you using GPU?

I may be able to barrow some.

No Maplins; is Microcenter similar?

No idea, I am in Scotland.

Does Microcentre have a no-quibble money back policy?

"This too shall pass"

Have you been clearing the CMOS without the power connected?

yes

Try leaving the board off with no power cable for 1 - 2 min and then reset the CMOS (with no power cable), are you using GPU?

no change

are you using GPU?

no

yes

no change

no

I'm out of idea's - what made you clear cmos the first time anyway?

yes

no change

no

Get a cardboard box and take EVERYTHING out of the case. Put your main board on the box with one stick of RAM and hook up the power supply and everything else. Check the seating of the CPU in the socket as well as the RAM and video card... Make sure they are all secure and snapped in all the way. Make sure the CPU doesn't have any TIM on the socket or contacts. Make sure the main board can not ground out to anything, put it all up on cardboard boxes.

The above will eliminate shorts to the case and seating issues.... if none of that works, check the power supply's rails for faulty voltages that could be causing problems if you're still stuck, start swapping out hardware with borrowed working items until you have nothing left to blame but the main board and the RMA it.

Try this and see.

Get a cardboard box and take EVERYTHING out of the case. Put your main board on the box with one stick of RAM and hook up the power supply and everything else. Check the seating of the CPU in the socket as well as the RAM and video card... Make sure they are all secure and snapped in all the way. Make sure the CPU doesn't have any TIM on the socket or contacts. Make sure the main board can not ground out to anything, put it all up on cardboard boxes.

The above will eliminate shorts to the case and seating issues.... if none of that works, check the power supply's rails for faulty voltages that could be causing problems if you're still stuck, start swapping out hardware with borrowed working items until you have nothing left to blame but the main board and the RMA it.

Try this and see.

Remove the battery from the mobo for a few minutes just in case.

You really need to borrow a PSU from someone anyway (even 200W is enough for your CPU, mobo and memory).

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

I can borrow a psu tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out then.

Thanks for all the help.

Different psu, same results, so I'm guessing its the mobo?

Probably.

RMA?   If you borcked it, bite the bullet and buy a new one?

"This too shall pass"

Exchanged the mobo but I haven't had time to fully test it; I threw the cpu, stock cooler, and ram on and it started up normally so it should be fine.