H80i/H100i

Hey guys, I am looking to build my new PC, I will probably be purchasing a Corsair 450D as my case. I was hoping a few of you could answer my cooling questions. I have been contemplating which one I should buy and where I should place it in my case. I also want to know whether they will both do the job or if one out performs the other in a pull, push or push-pull setup. My motherboard would be an Asus Z-97a along with a EVGA GTX 780 GPU. I'll have 16GB of ram and a 650w PSU. (Full specs here if needed http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/NP3byc) Thank you for any answers!

Hey guys, I am looking to build my new PC, I will probably be purchasing a Corsair 450D as my case. I was hoping a few of you could answer my cooling questions. I have been contemplating which one I should buy and where I should place it in my case. I also want to know whether they will both do the job or if one out performs the other in a pull, push or push-pull setup. My motherboard would be an Asus Z-97a along with a EVGA GTX 780 GPU. I'll have 16GB of ram and a 650w PSU. (Full specs here if needed http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/NP3byc) Thank you for any answers!

Thats a very nice build, mine is almost identical.  A couple things though:

1.  Buy a Phanteks Enthoo Pro if you can, its a much better case than the 450D at the same price.  More features, better build quality, and a full tower.

2.  Go for a Z97-AR, it looks a like nicer than the Z97-A, but it has 2 less SATA Ports and no DVI on the motherboard.  It looks amazing though.

3.  Stay away from the H100i and H80i.  They have problems with mounting, and are not guaranteed to work for you out of the box.  I can't recommend a product that works for some and not others.

4.  No need for 16GB of RAM if you're just gaming.  Stick with 8GB and add more later if you really need.

5.  Might want to consider holding off on a GPU purchase for another few weeks because something new is rumored to be releasing soon.

6.  Buy an EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W PSU.  10 year warranty, no-fan spin at low loads, all black cables, excellent quality 9.9/10 from Johnny Guru

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Have you seen the NZXT s340? Good lookin case, slightly cheaper too I think. Hold off on the graphics card for a few weeks big, big releases coming, and stick with 16g of ram, no reason to go 8 except cheapness/laziness, you'll have to get more at some point, might as well do it now.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Thats a very nice build, mine is almost identical. A couple things though:

1. Buy a Phanteks Enthoo Pro if you can, its a much better case than the 450D at the same price. More features, better build quality, and a full tower.

2. Go for a Z97-AR, it looks a like nicer than the Z97-A, but it has 2 less SATA Ports and no DVI on the motherboard. It looks amazing though.

3. Stay away from the H100i and H80i. They have problems with mounting, and are not guaranteed to work for you out of the box. I can't recommend a product that works for some and not others.

4. No need for 16GB of RAM if you're just gaming. Stick with 8GB and add more later if you really need.

5. Might want to consider holding off on a GPU purchase for another few weeks because something new is rumored to be releasing soon.

6. Buy an EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W PSU. 10 year warranty, no-fan spin at low loads, all black cables, excellent quality 9.9/10 from Johnny Guru

Hey man, thanks for the tips. I'll have a look at the case, better build quality is always nice! Admittedly I want my PC to look nice, but that isn't a priority for me, but I'll keep the AR in mind. I heard the mounting was a strong point H80i's and H100i's? I will lower my amount of RAM, thanks man! :) I was probably going to do that anyway, but that was my build for now, since it hadn't been released yet. I'll give the PSU a look, thanks man!

Have you seen the NZXT s340? Good lookin case, slightly cheaper too I think. Hold off on the graphics card for a few weeks big, big releases coming, and stick with 16g of ram, no reason to go 8 except cheapness/laziness, you'll have to get more at some point, might as well do it now.

No I don't think I have, I'll give it a look, thanks! That is slightly contradicting, it would be good to spend now and save later, I'll give it a think again, thank you.

No I don't think I have, I'll give it a look, thanks! That is slightly contradicting, it would be good to spend now and save later, I'll give it a think again, thank you.

Well, the issue with graphics is that Nvidia is just about to release a new series of graphics cards in like 2 weeks, AMD might do something as well (but who knows with them). So buying the expensive 780 right now might be a mistake if the next series version of it is cheaper and more powerful/efficient

Well, the issue with graphics is that Nvidia is just about to release a new series of graphics cards in like 2 weeks, AMD might do something as well (but who knows with them). So buying the expensive 780 right now might be a mistake if the next series version of it is cheaper and more powerful/efficient

Oh damn, sorry I forgot you mentioned that, I agree good sir! I will probably hold off, that was there just because it was what I would purchase with things available.

Hey man, thanks for the tips. I'll have a look at the case, better build quality is always nice! Admittedly I want my PC to look nice, but that isn't a priority for me, but I'll keep the AR in mind. I heard the mounting was a strong point H80i's and H100i's? I will lower my amount of RAM, thanks man! :) I was probably going to do that anyway, but that was my build for now, since it hadn't been released yet. I'll give the PSU a look, thanks man!

No, the mounting on the H100i and H80i is a big problem.  It doesn't work for everyone which is why I recommend to stay away from it.

Here is a video of the Phanteks Enthoo Pro:

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Oh damn, sorry I forgot you mentioned that, I agree good sir! I will probably hold off, that was there just because it was what I would purchase with things available.

One more thing, and this isn't really something that can be helped right now, that 120g SSD fills up quick. I have the exact same one with the same OS, I'm on a fresh install. All I've installed has been anti virus, 1 game (battlefield bad company 2), windows office, steam, and samsung SSD magician and mines already getting near half full. Especially considering I always leave 20gigs open.