Overclocking an R9 280

Go to solution Solved by TeddyMcSwag,

Thanks guys, but I'm not asking what program to use, I just want to know what the considered 'safe' limits.

Oh, I didn't properly read your post then xD. I have the same cooler as you on the step down GPU and i got it stable to 1213MHz core (I think) without going over 70C, so maybe 1230 will be good. But honesly you never know all cards are different.

Hey guys,

I just got a Sapphire R9 280 Dual-X OC and I'm looking for some mild overclocking advise as there isn't a lot specific for this card on the web (it's all about the 280X, the glory hog).

I'm just using the overdrive utility and I have it at 1Ghz core with 10% power limit. Temps don't go past the 67-68 Celsius mark. How much further do you guys think I can safely push it?

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Try using MSi afterburner.  You can easily overclock from there, check gpu usage & temps, and set the fan curve for your preference of noise/performance.

I'd say just keep pushing it till you cant anymore.  If you crash/bluescreen/get too hot for your liking, just back off and you know youre at your limit.  

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

MSI Afterburner. It's what I used, it's really easy!

Is it a monkey? Is it an ape? I don't care, I LOVE'EM!

Heres what i did

Valley R9 280     1200 1575 OC

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

MSI Afterburner. It's what I used, it's really easy!

Try using MSi afterburner.  You can easily overclock from there, check gpu usage & temps, and set the fan curve for your preference of noise/performance.

I'd say just keep pushing it till you cant anymore.  If you crash/bluescreen/get too hot for your liking, just back off and you know youre at your limit.  

Thanks guys, but I'm not asking what program to use, I just want to know what the considered 'safe' limits.

Heres what i did

Whoa! That's insane! Have you got special cooling on that?

Oh, I didn't properly read your post then xD. I have the same cooler as you on the step down GPU and i got it stable to 1213MHz core (I think) without going over 70C, so maybe 1230 will be good. But honesly you never know all cards are different.

Is it a monkey? Is it an ape? I don't care, I LOVE'EM!

Whoa! That's insane! Have you got special cooling on that?

lol....no, its a stock PowerColor

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

Right, so it appears that there's quite a bit of headroom. Good to know.

lol....no, its a stock PowerColor

Ah! Good. So I'm nowhere near the limit.