Server SSD

xXNomyXx

Hi,

I've been running a window server hosted by ColoCrossing however I recently decided to checkout the SSD, unsurprisingly the SSD has had major use.

Below are some images of the SSD and it's current status, as I've never used an SSD to the same extent as this.

(Caution, LARGE images :/ )

3n40axL.png

8MyE56k.png

The drive itself should run about:

• Sequential read speeds of up to 550 MB/s
  • Sequential write speeds of up to 510 MB/s

However the drive runs about Read: 208.5 MB/s, Write: 105.5 MB/s

From the images and stats above, would it be wise to request a new SSD for the server?

Thanks!

Yes it would be a good idea considering you have 123TB written to that SSD

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Those speeds are actually pretty normal for async sandforce drive. The thing is, sandforce drives are only capabile of 550/510 when you dump empty data to them (compressible). Once you start writing real data, speeds quickly drops to whatever you're getting.Its normal and its nothing to worry about. You just got fooled by their marketing department.

Also, try not to write to ur ssd too much. 275TB is quite alot.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

The drive is almost two years old. It's ready for lighter duty.

What I'd do is get a modern drive. I recommend a Crucial M550, Intel 730 or Samsung 850 Pro, but if money is tight, go with a MX100 as a distant fourth. I'd use 256gb to give lots of space.

Clone the LX, install the new drive the wipe the LX and install as D: as a cache drive. Point the page file, at least, to it instead of C:. Find out from your Logs what is doing all that writing. It will be temporary stuff and having that pounding D: is ok. If the drive fails it won't take down the server. I figure you should get at least another two years out of the LX if you do that.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

What I'd do is get a modern drive. I recommend a Crucial M550, Intel 730 or Samsung 850 Pro, but if money is tight, go with a MX100 as a distant fourth. I'd use 256gb to give lots of space.

He might not have the option choosing which SSD he gets since he's not hosting it.  

I would back up and see how things go.  79% Health isn't too bad but I would look more at the rate of decline.  Monitor the health and how much is being written over a week or so and see what happens. If it continues to decline or the R/W is through the roof I'd look to see what's on the server is killing the drive.  If you can't find anything or do find something and fix it then request a drive swap and OS reload.  Hopefully they can get you an enterprise grade drive as the Corsair Force 3 is a consumer grade drive. Just my two cents.  

Ahhh. I read that as he had access. His machine, not his location. Why would a server company go with an LX? Very strange. Definitely not the sort of drive that I'd put in a server.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!